New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

Welcome to THP. Glad to have you.

Im actually the opposite in that I have not noticed much draw bias and have little issue fading and or flighting.
This has been my experience as well. I have the PTx Pros with the same exact shaft, and they have significantly more draw for me than the Forged Tecs when hit side by side. If anything, the Forged Tecs seem to want to fade a bit, or at least straighten out. The only exception to this for me has been the PW, which tends to want to hook a bit, but that could also be operator error on my part.

Interesting to see the folks out there tweaking their shafts. I was put into the Modus Pro3 120 in XS but wondering if I maybe need to soften them up to help get more consistent?

Thoughts? I see lots of graphite options going in as well, what are the groups thoughts on a replacement for the Modus?

Interesting to see the folks out there tweaking their shafts. I was put into the Modus Pro3 120 in XS but wondering if I maybe need to soften them up to help get more consistent?

Thoughts? I see lots of graphite options going in as well, what are the groups thoughts on a replacement for the Modus?
I think the most similar in weight would be the Recoil 120 Prototype F5. I am playing 110 Prototype F4s in mine, and I know others have went with Recoil Prototype shafts as well with great results.

I think the most similar in weight would be the Recoil 120 Prototype F5. I am playing 110 Prototype F4s in mine, and I know others have went with Recoil Prototype shafts as well with great results.
Next question is how do I find the Proto shafts? Checking Golfworks and they don't seem to be on there.

Next question is how do I find the Proto shafts? Checking Golfworks and they don't seem to be on there.
I misspoke, they are Prototype 125s. My bad.

As far as finding them, I think Tour Shop Fresno has them, as well as some other places via a quick google search. Otherwise, you need to track down a TSPX fitter and order through them.

Modus 120 are 114g aren't they? So by weight they'd be closer to your proto 110's. I've never actually seen an ei profile for the protos, but if he wanted to soften up a modus 120 x, 110 f5 probably isn't a bad fit. They play a little similar in my opinion. Soft in the low mid, but modus play a little stiffer to flex. No, they're 120g in X. That's right (you're right), still might fit the 'softer' he was going for best. The proto 125 seemed noticeably more stout to me.

Modus 120 are 114g, so by weight they'd be closer to your proto 110's. I've never actually seen an ei profile for the protos, but if he wanted to soften up a modus 120 x, 110 f5 probably isn't a bad fit. They play a little similar in my opinion. Soft in the low mid, but modus play a little stiffer to flex.
That was a much better explanation than I gave, and I think you are spot on.

That was a much better explanation than I gave, and I think you are spot on.
Notice I edited like the SECOND I hit post. :LOL: The X are 120. Still seems like the 110 might fit what he's looking for though. I tried the 125s and that was a big jump imo. If he wants to keep the flight down a little maybe 125 f4.

Last edited:
Notice I edited like the SECOND I hit post. :LOL: The X are 120. Still seems like the 110 might fit what he's looking for though. I tried the 125s and that was a big jump imo. If he wants to keep the flight down a little maybe 125 f4.
Prefer a lower flight as I'm pretty steep and when I make good contact it goes plenty high enough.
I'm wondering if my consistency on the course vs in the simulator indoors is that these are maybe a touch strong for me to control (I have a fast swing speed and quick transition) but thinking that there maybe some difference between the PGASS adapters and how they flex out to actual built clubs.

Hey guys I am interested in buying these irons . Demos are tough to find around here. Did hit about 5 balls with it and they felt great . I was watching some youtube reviews on this iron then came arcross this video . He claiming that these were short and very unforgiving for his slower club head speed which I fall into that ss range or slower .He also says they don't feel good which I don't agree with.
My question is anyone playing these with a slower club head swing having trouble playing these or is this guy full of it.

Thanks gb

Hey guys I am interested in buying these irons . Demos are tough to find around here. Did hit about 5 balls with it and they felt great . I was watching some youtube reviews on this iron then came arcross this video . He claiming that these were short and very unforgiving for his slower club head speed which I fall into that ss range or slower .He also says they don't feel good which I don't agree with.
My question is anyone playing these with a slower club head swing having trouble playing these or is this guy full of it.

Thanks gb

I'm faster than he is and in theory willing to admit that there could potentially (?) be differences in feel based on some of that. Then I remembered how many partial swings I've taken with my forged tec 7-iron. lol So I'll just say this.

He thinks the new P790s feel better than the forged tec. That's mind blowing. The P790s are great clubs, perform well, and look good, but they rate pretty much universally bad among their peers for feel.

He says his 7i swing speed is 76 mph. His numbers seemed a little off to me based on that. I thought 'maybe he lives at elevation' or something. So I wasted another couple minutes of my life to watch part of another one of his vids, where he's claiming he was getting 121.1 mph 7i ball speeds out of that 76 mph club speed with the HMBs. So that's.... not happening. Not in this reality anyway.

Just a couple things to consider.

I hope someone with your SS can chime in on how they fit in terms of spin and launch and whatnot.

I'm faster than he is and in theory willing to admit that there could potentially (?) be differences in feel based on some of that. Then I remembered how many partial swings I've taken with my forged tec 7-iron. lol So I'll just say this.

He thinks the new P790s feel better than the forged tec. That's mind blowing. The P790s are great clubs, perform well, and look good, but they rate pretty much universally bad among their peers for feel.

He says his 7i swing speed is 76 mph. His numbers seemed a little off to me based on that. I thought 'maybe he lives at elevation' or something. So I wasted another couple minutes of my life to watch part of another one of his vids, where he's claiming he was getting 121.1 mph 7i ball speeds out of that 76 mph club speed with the HMBs. So that's.... not happening. Not in this reality anyway.

Just a couple things to consider.

I hope someone with your SS can chime in on how they fit in terms of spin and launch and whatnot.

I didn’t watch the video, but based on this information, I think he is creating an inaccurate perception.

I am not sure of my swing speed with the One Length forged tec, but I think I am roughly 70-75 mph with the irons that are all 7i length. They feel great and have enough forgiveness for me. I don’t think they are short. For example, I went from the Big Bertha irons to these and most of my iron distances are the same (155 yard 7i according to Arccos).

Is the notion of a club being less forgiving for slower swing speeds even a plausible thing? That just doesn't make sense to me

Thanks gb

In my opinion...and opinions as you know are like ****holes...he's wrong on every single part of that. They are long, almost freakishly long in fact. I'm hitting 175 7 irons which for me is just crazy. And my swing speed isn't especially high, about 85-90 or so. Unforgiving? Absolutely not at all. I tend to occasionally hit the ball slightly fat/thin, and there is not as much loss of distance as you would think, and without much deviation from line. And not feeling good? There is not one single club I have ever hit that feels better than when you really catch one of these, just wonderful clubs.

My recommendation would be to do all you can to get fit, might need a bit of a drive, but when you get into the right shaft combination then it will be a real eye opener (y)

I left a review on his site saying I disagree. I have also hit partial shots, and where I've taken a lot off the swing and they still are very long.

Now they are players distance irons so they don't have a gigantic sweet spot like an SGI or GI iron and it's possible his strikes are so terrible that he never hits it flush, but I find it unlikely that when he hits a flushed ball it doesn't go long and the feel is worse the the p790.

When he says they felt like a 2x4 on off-center hits, that was my cue to stop listening. Yikes. That's definitely inaccurate. They actually retain distance and spin shockingly well from off center hits. But I wanted to give a fair chance and watched the whole thing.

Then he makes a correlation between failure and success to swing speed, just because everyone he found on Youtube had success and had a high swing speed. But he didn't find a single review of lower swing speeds! So instead of thinking that maybe the clubs just didn't work for him, he latches onto the swing speed thing.

Is the notion of a club being less forgiving for slower swing speeds even a plausible thing? That just doesn't make sense to me

It could be if it was lower launch. Blades are an example of a profile that serves higher speed better than slower swingers, generally speaking. However, lower launch is not what Forged Tecs are. They launch as well as anything in that profile.

Very strange, I don't see where guys are seeing all this extra distance? I'm not seeing it at all, my distances seem to be what they are no matter what

Very strange, I don't see where guys are seeing all this extra distance? I'm not seeing it at all, my distances seem to be what they are no matter what
My distances with the OL FT are nearly identical to my Big Bertha irons. I have approximately the same number of rounds with Arccos on both sets. They are not short irons by any means because I did pick up some distance when I went from my old Ping set to the Big Bertha irons.

Cobra
87B4C8D8-D645-49F6-907E-899F1C8F63D5.png
Callaway Big Bertha
E952F32C-120F-42FB-9488-ECA1EB32C7DA.png

I have had no problems with these getting away left. If anything they are straight to a bit right for me. The utility I have leaks right and am going to have to figure out how to fix that. These are great clubs!

It’s likely the mats at the store and worn out balls. I can murder a 7 iron 180 in those conditions but on course it’s 165-68 typically.

I was lucky enough to get some Top Golf range time yesterday, took my 6, 8 & PW out in the FT, 919 Tour for side by side.

I finally found a groove where I was consistently (above 50% for how badly I'm swinging atm) out of the middle. Admittedly Top Golf balls are far from premium however I finally heard what the FT sounds like for a clean strike and how they feel (very nice, if I get the 'click' I know it's going good).

Need more game time on the course as usual.

My last few posts in here were about the GW - and not getting along with it, well my last round, I was hitting it really and it was doing what it was supposed to. Still a draw on it, but nice high controlled draw.

My last shot from the right rough was 124 yards according to Cobra Connect landed on the pin and rolled 10 ft buy, 2 putted and didn't save the Par, but definitely had me perplexed or it at least knows I might be giving it the boot soon :LOL::ROFLMAO::D

Back