New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

R the Apex combo’s in trouble?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m going to leave these in the bag through the spring :p

Reactions: MH
Sorting through the data some more now and...

I am impressed.

How does the feel and sound compare to other options in this space? Mizuno, Callaway EF, etc?

I saw some reports that the performance was similar and had more traditional spin numbers to hold greens better, however, was slightly more clicky and felt a bit worse... I haven’t tried these but curious about your thoughts/opinions?

How does the feel and sound compare to other options in this space? Mizuno, Callaway EF, etc?

I saw some reports that the performance was similar and had more traditional spin numbers to hold greens better, however, was slightly more clicky and felt a bit worse... I haven’t tried these but curious about your thoughts/opinions?
I’ve bought the Tec and HMB as well as having reviewed the EF.

Ive no issues saying feel(sound) ranking its 1) Tec, 2) HMB, and 3) EF. All three of those are going to be “clicky” to an extent, it’s the nature of the design, if you’re looking for the forged/CB feeling you will not get it in these types of irons.

The EF are the most harsh on misses, the HMB are best dead nuts center, and these are imo easily the best feel all around. Firm, yes, but not harsh.

Looks, price, tech, I hope they finally get their due this year.
Same, I think they’ve finally found that iron which walks the line of being aesthetically pretty, and tech loaded.

@Jman, @Tenputt, or anyone else have you set up the Forged Tec 3 iron as a driving iron? If so, any comparison to the F9 4 iron set up in a similar configuration? I'm leaning towards building one and wanted to see if anyone else has tried and has feedback first.

@Jman, @Tenputt, or anyone else have you set up the Forged Tec 3 iron as a driving iron? If so, any comparison to the F9 4 iron set up in a similar configuration? I'm leaning towards building one and wanted to see if anyone else has tried and has feedback first.

I only have 5 through gw. I actually plan to continue using the F9 4 iron, when I want a driving iron in the bag, rather than a hybrid (which is dependent upon my swing and the course I am playing).

I don’t see any way I’d go Tec there over an F9. Right now I actually go F9 5 and Tec 5 in the bag.

Also, for @jim54 and those curious.

Next to Apex Pro 19 8i.

48CBAF58-79AE-471D-98B5-2A11A72F566E.jpeg

57EFC800-08B6-4948-9749-FF6B8FDBEDF0.jpeg

As you can see, blade length is def noticeably longer, also slightly wider. Top line is thicker, but it being square makes it seem way bigger than it is.

That is a surprising size difference
I only think it will be if one isn’t used to the footprint of hollow body irons, these are in line with all the others out there, but they just look cleaner in hand I think so many assume they’re really compact.

I only think it will be if one isn’t used to the footprint of hollow body irons, these are in line with all the others out there, but they just look cleaner in hand I think so many assume they’re really compact.
Yea it’s mostly surprising because I’ve held the 7i in hand and would never have thought it was that much bigger than the Apex pro’s. Side by side is crazy

Yea it’s mostly surprising because I’ve held the 7i in hand and would never have thought it was that much bigger than the Apex pro’s. Side by side is crazy

I honestly think because the Pros have decent forgiveness, its almost forgotten how small they are.

I honestly think because the Pros have decent forgiveness, its almost forgotten how small they are.
That’s a good point. Also the forged tecs seem tiny because of how big they play in terms of forgiveness and distance but are in a nice to look at package.

I hit the forged tec 7 iron today but they didn't have the $ taper lite shaft for some reason so I popped in a kbs tour 90 stiff. All three shots went over 175 yards with 160+ yards carry. Straight down the line. Holy smokes. I'm sure one shot wasn't dead center but it still performed like it was. That was more distance and better dispersion than I get with my F9's.

I hit the forged tec 7 iron today but they didn't have the $ taper lite shaft for some reason so I popped in a kbs tour 90 stiff. All three shots went over 175 yards with 160+ yards carry. Straight down the line. Holy smokes. I'm sure one shot wasn't dead center but it still performed like it was. That was more distance and better dispersion than I get with my F9's.

Your experience is similar to mine. These truly have some pop with respect to ball speed and the forgiveness seems to be well extended across the face. As @Jman reported, even the thin shots, which don’t feel great, still produce good relative numbers. This head is not as forgiving as the F9, but it is still pretty darn forgiving.

Finally got mine yesterday. Have a round scheduled over the week. I’ll update how it goes

4AAB270E-946C-484A-AFB5-F078FDE339E5.jpeg

Back