New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

Someone is going to have to talk me out of buying a set of these before the end of the year.

That someone won’t be me.

As much as I ponder other things. I’ll be surprised if these don’t end up in the bag for the season.

Two rounds with these in one length in the books. First round (in South Carolina/ santee National, good course if you are ever headed south on 95) was a little choppy, had some trouble with the long irons (swinging too hard), but managed to chip and putt to a 7 over round, and played today in Florida at Sanctuary Ridge (it was in rough shape but for $30 I didn’t expect much and played with a pga pro and former mini tour guy so it was a fun day). Managed 8 over 79 today. I actually hit a few long irons over the greens a few times, starting to get a little better grasp on the one length thing. It seems to be a mental disabling.. ps my buttery soft mim wedges have let me down so far, still buttery soft, but when you have stone hands it doesn’t matter...lol (only play one round this winter, so I’m sure this will come around)

Last edited:
Any comparisons to the i500's? Also any opinions on the modus 3 120 shafts?
I absolutely love the modus 120, little more launch and the feel soft to flex, but are not soft to flex.

I can’t really add more than I already have. I maintain that irons are probably the least important part of my bag in terms of what helps me shoot my best scores. The top and bottom ends of my bag will be determined by what irons I have to ensure proper gapping at the ends, but I could shoot my best scores with many different sets of irons. If I am totally honest, the F9s from last year’s Morgan Cup would permit me to play just as well as the Forged Tecs.

That having been said, I don’t think I have found a better set of irons for me than the Forged Tecs. Maybe ever. They truly give me what I need for my game. Enough forgiveness, loads of distance, precision, good descent and enough spin to stop the ball quickly and good looks. They are a fun, sexy set of irons. They have Arccos imbedded in the grips, which I really enjoy. Probably the most important thing for me is that every single club in the set works for me. Often times I have found with the players distance irons that the 9i through gw do not provide the same relative distance as the other irons in the set and I have an unwanted gap between either 9i and 8i or gw and pw. That is not the case with the Forged Tecs and probably the biggest reason I really am enthralled with them.
Craig, you were deadly with the F9's.. From reading your comments above I cannot wait to see the scores you start posting!!

Jman, how would you rank these compared to the Apex Pros in regards to forgiveness? I switched from PXG Gen 2 Ps to Apex Pros with elevate tours. Love everything about the Pros, but miss the extra forgiveness the PXG provided on off days.

Jman, how would you rank these compared to the Apex Pros in regards to forgiveness? I switched from PXG Gen 2 Ps to Apex Pros with elevate tours. Love everything about the Pros, but miss the extra forgiveness the PXG provided on off days.

Obviously, I am not @Jman, nor do I have his equipment acumen, but I have played the Apex combo set, with the Pro heads from 8 iron through AW and plan to have these in my bag. In my view, the Forged Tecs are more forgiving on misses, although the Apex Pros feel better on misses.

Similar launch?
Higher launch in the Tec.

Really very different profiles, and sizes. Forgiveness factor easily goes here vs the pros and I think the pros are shockingly forgiving for their profile. Feel goes to the Apex Pro all day long, but the Tec are the beat feeling hollow body ever put out imo. Different feel, different feedback, but not harsh.

Higher launch in the Tec.

Really very different profiles, and sizes. Forgiveness factor easily goes here vs the pros and I think the pros are shockingly forgiving for their profile. Feel goes to the Apex Pro all day long, but the Tec are the beat feeling hollow body ever put out imo. Different feel, different feedback, but not harsh.

The difference is head size, especially heel to toe, is significant. The Forged Tec head size (although sole width and offset are much different) is much closer to a game improvement profile, like F9 or SpeedZone, than the Apex Pro head. It doesn’t bother me in the least, the two heads really are quite different.

Thank you for the input. I play G410 crossovers 3 and 4 so I don't mind the larger foot print.

Thank you for the input. I play G410 crossovers 3 and 4 so I don't mind the larger foot print.
Pound for pound, they’re one of the absolute best irons out there, and in terms of the hollow body designs they’re in a class of their own.

I am so eager to get these in play this year.

Sound is on point.
Forgiveness is enough to be relevant.
Flight/launch works for me.
Profile is excellent.

Just need spring to get here.

I am so eager to get these in play this year.

Sound is on point.
Forgiveness is enough to be relevant.
Flight/launch works for me.
Profile is excellent.

Just need spring to get here.
I’m going to b*tch slap you if you don’t play them this season.

Whoops. Broke the swear filter again.

It is not even close. The Forged Tecs, every day of the week. The performance of the Forged Tecs for me is significantly better than the Forged Tec Blacks through every club.

Very excited to hear this. My set comes in tomorrow and is replacing my ft blacks from last year.

It is not even close. The Forged Tecs, every day of the week. The performance of the Forged Tecs for me is significantly better than the Forged Tec Blacks through every club.

This excites me.

I have about 3 rounds and about 5-6 range sessions with these, I’m starting to really
Get used to them, and must say, they feel different from my srixons, but can’t say the feel worse. They perform, and i am pleasantly surprised to say I Iaunch my One length long irons as high as my srixon long Irons. I am really liking these clubs. My index has dropped 1/2 stroke in the past three rounds of using these.

Last edited:
I have about 3 rounds and about 5-6 range sessions with these, I’m starting to really
Get used to them, and must say, they feel different from my srixons, but can’t say the feel worse. They perform, and i am pleasantly surprised to say I Iaunch my One length long irons as high as my srixon long Irons. I am really liking these clubs. My index has dropped 1/2 stroke in the past three rounds of using these.
Definitely not going to feel like a non-hollow body forged design, they're just different by nature. But, these are the first HB designs to really get a non harsh feel throughout the set.

Definitely not going to feel like a non-hollow body forged design, they're just different by nature. But, these are the first HB designs to really get a non harsh feel throughout the set.

Don’t want to hijack, but do you think the Mizuno HMBs feel harsh?

I am glad that you are enjoying them now, given the rough start that you had in your order.

Don’t want to hijack, but do you think the Mizuno HMBs feel harsh?
Not as much as P790's, no, now THOSE are harsh. The HMB's have a good feel, but its more firm than these.

I am glad that you are enjoying them now, given the rough start that you had in your order.
Thanks, I think I am close to getting the set right. I love everything from 4i-9i (37.25”) I also play my Aw-Lw in 36” so I just ordered a matching Forged Tec PW in standard length (36”), to match the other wedges. If it doesn’t work no prob I can play all season with this set very happily, if it does then even better!

Agree, the feel is “strangely satisfying”

Back