"Real" Coke used cane sugar instead of HFCS until the early '80s. You can now buy "Mexican Coke", which still uses cane sugar.

I understood that to be the phenomenon behind Mexican Coke. FWIW, I can't taste much of a difference.

Ok, spousal disgust is a sign of good taste. That sounds bad... if the wife doesn't like it, it's good. That sounds a bit better but just as bad. How about... when Siskel and Ebert hated a movie, it tended to be pretty good. Police Academy was absolutely-positively HATED by both of them. I thought it was the funniest movie I'd ever seen at the time. Of course I was 13 at the time.

Oh man. You missed it. When there's talk of "Cola Wars" it was bad. Coke tried to change their formula to be more like Pepsi... a lot of Coke's fans hated it. There were protests. People wrote LETTERS TO THE EDITOR in their local paper! Seriously. People were upset. Some stores refused to carry new coke.

Remember, we didn't have the Internet at the times, texting, or twitter to vent our spleens to so we talked to radio shows, and anyone that would listen. It was a hot topic.

There was definitely a distinction that was made when you ordered a coke... new or classic. Coke dropped the classic after they thought it was long enough and people forgot. We didn't forget.:LOL:

Oh, I remember this well! Not long after the "new Coke" reveal, Pepsi came out with full page ads in newpapers and on TV, saying that "After 100 years, the other guy finally blinked"! Back in the day when I was a cola drinker, I always preferred Coke over Pepsi, because Pepsi seemed too sweet. Coke was a "drier" cola. But my absolute favorite over those 2 was RC (Royal Crown) cola! The absolute best that I have ever tasted!

Reminds me of the people at the fast food outlets ordering the double cheesburgers, large fries, and the DIET Coke! Who are you trying to kid?

The people who make this statement just don't understand that it is a taste preference and nothing to do with counting calories. And trust me, people ordering double cheeseburgersand large fries aren't very concerned about saving a few calories by ordering a diet soda. It just tastes better to them.

My wife loves her coke zero when she gets a soda (we don't do much soda) she says it reminds her of Tab. Me, I don't do soda very often - so this does not affect me, but Coca Cola - if you are watching, piss off my wife and prepare for war.
Possibly the best ad ever on tv - Elle Mac pherson walking up the beach in bikini and tab cola in hand ......not a fan of the drink fan of the body 😳

Sounds like they're taking a page out of Sergio Zyman's marketing playbook. They took a bit of hit with their woke stuff, this should generate a ton of both positive & negative interest redirecting people back on brand.

The people who make this statement just don't understand that it is a taste preference and nothing to do with counting calories. And trust me, people ordering double cheeseburgersand large fries aren't very concerned about saving a few calories by ordering a diet soda. It just tastes better to them.

I can't believe this! Although I can suspect that people can have taste preferences ranging from super sophisticated to the taste of a groundhog, I kind of doubt it! The first time I tasted a "DIET" soft drink, it seemed totally bizarre to me! It just didn't taste right!

Eh. I don't know that i really taste much of a difference. I liked the old version. I'm ok with this version. I'm not sure the change was worth the effort put into doing it.

IMG_0901.jpeg

Just consumed my first ice-cold new Coke Zero Sugar and .... thumbs up!

I believe they have succeeded in nudging the formula closer to Classic Coca-Cola. My first impression is that it has a bit more Classic flavor and a bit less artificial chemical flavor that comes with most diet soft drinks.

My dad was a lifelong Coca-Cola employee/manager, so Coke products have been an integral part of my life since birth. Excluding the total disaster known as New Coke, it has been a very positive relationship. So, anytime there is a change to my favorite drink, which has been Coke Zero for the last 15 years, it is cause for some concern.

I'm happy to say that concern is now gone and I look forward to enjoying this version of Coke Zero Sugar until the next recipe tweak.

bounced back and forth past week or so. I prefer the old one but the new one isn't that different.

bounced back and forth past week or so. I prefer the old one but the new one isn't that different.
I figured you for a Dr. Pepper guy.

I figured you for a Dr. Pepper guy.

dr pepper 10 is tolerable, but their diet offerings are worse than coke zero/pepsi max.

for the leaded stuff, nothing beats dr pepper. (y)

I had a 20oz of the ‘new’ Coke Zero yesterday while grocery shopping. Are we sure it wasn’t just a packaging change? It tasted exactly the same as it always has.

Still taking taking a hit with the woke stuff, went from diet coke to diet pepsi and from power aid to gatoraid.

Wife is a Coke Zero fan when she drinks soda. Will get her to drink the new version today. I on the other hand prefer original coke if and when I drink soda. If they can figure out a way to make zero sugar taste like original I’m all for it. If not my bourbon will still swim in regular coke.

I have recently been drinking this and I kind of like it. I think the new version tastes more like regular coke and less like diet 🤷‍♂️

I tried it. It tastes the same to me.

The local Coca-Cola distributor had a Coke Zero Sugar tent set up at Kroger last Saturday. From the crowd, you might have thought that he was giving away money.

So, the new coke zero is pretty damn impressive.

Way closer to coke.
I'd probably drink it over diet if rum wasn't involved.
Agreed. Thought it was very drinkable

I bought some new Coke Zero and I'm a "No"
Don't like the taste - seems bitter to me - Like the old Zero better....

Having drank the new formula a few times now, I'm completely ambivalent about it. I have no preference between Zero (the old or new formulas) and Diet Coke, I'll gladly drink whichever one is available. I can't tell enough difference between them to choose one way or the other.

I just tried the new Coke Zero!:oops: It is vastly better than the original black can variation! Don't @me @vgolfman!

I just tried the new Coke Zero!:oops: It is vastly better than the original black can variation! Don't @me @vgolfman!

I have grown to tolerate, accept and even appreciate the new Coke Zero. I still don't think its as good as the original, but it is still better than any and all other brown fizzy waters and especially the near toxic Diet Coke. And I hope @Canadan does @ me about that comment, I'm right and facts don't have feelings! ;);)

I have grown to tolerate, accept and even appreciate the new Coke Zero. I still don't think its as good as the original, but it is still better than any and all other brown fizzy waters and especially the near toxic Diet Coke. And I hope @Canadan does @ me about that comment, I'm right and facts don't have feelings! ;);)
I am glad your recovery has gone reasonably well, Michael!

I've had it a few times. It's pretty impressive by comparison to Coke diesel. There are a few buddies who have openly said they don't like it and won't ever like it - preferred that Coke Zero had its' own taste.

Diet Coke is terrible!

Back