New Driver Or Change Shaft On Current Driver?

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
I'm in somewhat of a quandary at the moment. I've been thinking about a new driver, but am wondering if I should just reshaft my current driver. My current driver is a Mizuno ST 190 which I've really been pretty happy with. Generally off the tee I hit about 220-240 yds with a power draw. At least that's how people have described it when they see it. My swing speed is 85-90. I've actually had a number of drives in the last month that have been over 260 yds. If I do decide to just switch shafts, which shaft should I get? My knowledge of golf shafts is next to nill. I apologize if I'm just re-hashing things from another thread I started earlier.

The answer to this question is always buy new and shiny!!!

If you are happy why change? Just kidding ;). I would look at the new stuff coming out at the new year before I made a decision.

240 with a draw with your swing speed is pretty darn good. I go around 95 for SS and probably average about that same distance.

Abdolutey adore my current setup - would probably go with a new driver head

I'm in somewhat of a quandary at the moment. I've been thinking about a new driver, but am wondering if I should just reshaft my current driver. My current driver is a Mizuno ST 190 which I've really been pretty happy with. Generally off the tee I hit about 220-240 yds with a power draw. At least that's how people have described it when they see it. My swing speed is 85-90. I've actually had a number of drives in the last month that have been over 260 yds. If I do decide to just switch shafts, which shaft should I get? My knowledge of golf shafts is next to nill. I apologize if I'm just re-hashing things from another thread I started earlier.

If you want my opinion, you are asking the wrong person. I would buy a new shaft AND a new driver. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Seriously, though, it is not easy to say what kind of shaft without knowing a little more about your swing, or what shaft you currently are using. Generally, it is easier to see marked differences with a different head than a slightly different shaft. However, it also seems as if you are seeing improved driving. Several drives over 260 yards over the last month is nothing to sneeze at. What are you seeking that you don’t feel you have in your current setup?

If you want my opinion, you are asking the wrong person. I would buy a new shaft AND a new driver. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Seriously, though, it is not easy to say what kind of shaft without knowing a little more about your swing, or what shaft you currently are using. Generally, it is easier to see marked differences with a different head than a slightly different shaft. However, it also seems as if you are seeing improved driving. Several drives over 260 yards over the last month is nothing to sneeze at. What are you seeking that you don’t feel you have in your current setup?

Ahh, the voice of reason. First, I'll try and describe my swing. My feet are closed at address of the ball with my right foot behind my left. I have a natural draw of the tee. Some people I've played with this year have described it as a power draw. As I mentioned in my first post my current driver is a Mizuno ST190 driver not the 190G model. I have a Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70 shaft which is stiff flex. What got me asking about a new driver was a conversation with a golfing buddy of mine I had about a week ago. The discussion mainly centered around me being 67 years old and whether a regular flex shaft would benefit my drives any. That got me going, I have upgradeitis when it comes to golf equipment. I first started talking about a new driver then maybe just replacing the shaft on my Mizuno. As I mentioned I've been pretty happy with the results since I bought the ST190. So for the moment maybe I'll just stay with what I have and maybe forget my mania when it comes to new golf equipment. Thanks, Tenputt for hopefully setting me straight. ;) (y)

From a purely performance-based perspective and given the information you've provided, you are optimized.

I would go to a fitter and get on their scope to see if a shaft would help or if you need a whole new driver.
I kept my shaft and am on the 3rd driver head on it.

If you want to tinker, I would recommend going with maybe an inexpensive purchase of a shaft with an adapter already on it. Could probably find the regular flex version of the KK for relatively cheap. Then, if you like the performance, maybe then look at replacing the club or finding a different shaft to further fine tune what you are looking for.

I just went for a fitting and when we got to the driver all was good he just recommenced a shaft. After seeing the difference in what a shaft can do for a club i would say try some out for sure before changing if you like the Mizuno.

After reading all the comments here a new driver has been put on the back burner for now. What I'm going to do in the next week or two is go into PGA Superstore and talk to someone about checking my driver out see if anything needs to be done shaft wise. As always I appreciate all the comments and feedback presented here in this thread. Thanks, everyone.;) (y)

Back