New driver tech vs old - a pro test!

the_paulo

Euro target practice
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 0.5
Credit - Shamelessly stolen from the Mizuno forum. (mizunoforum.com)

Mizuno Europe had Euro tour player Chris Wood attempt to settle an argument. How far has driver technology come on?

So, he put 3 drivers on the Trackman. 1st, Mizuno TP5W persimmon driver (12.5 degree might come into consideration), 2nd - Mizuno T-Zoid (as used by Nick Faldo circa mid 90s), and 3rd - Mizuno MP650 (8.5 degree).

It's just a bit of fun, but it's interesting nonetheless -

file.php

The results (spin was too low on the T-Zoid so Trackman couldn't read) -

file.php

Well that settles that discussion. The new Mizuno driver is better than old Mizuno drivers.

The launch angles are what caught my attention. How shaft and head technology allow players to have a lower loft, but launch it way higher.

It's crazy to me that the persimmon had a longer carry than faldos driver. I wish they used a 12.5 or at most 10.5 degree for the newer mizuno. 8.5 titanium vs 12.5 persimmon with the same size head even and I don't see it being close

That's a really cool representation of why new tech matters... now show that to all the "clubs don't matter" people!

I just love the 40+ yards of roll he was getting with the old drivers.

That's a really cool representation of why new tech matters... now show that to all the "clubs don't matter" people!

I agree with this, but only to an extent. If the range of the age of clubs was not as large, the gaps would not be as large either.

Interesting. Now lets put those 3 clubs in the hands of a 10-handicap and 20-handicap and see what the results are.

I just love the 40+ yards of roll he was getting with the old drivers.

That's what a 20* difference in landing angle will get you....both the older drivers came down in the low 20's so they would be scooting when they hit....the new driver comes in much steeper so more dig into the ground and less roll.

I could only imagine how far Jack would have hit one of today's drivers in his prime

Interesting. Now lets put those 3 clubs in the hands of a 10-handicap and 20-handicap and see what the results are.

I agree, let's see how this directly relates in the hands of us hackers.

That's what a 20* difference in landing angle will get you....both the older drivers came down in the low 20's so they would be scooting when they hit....the new driver comes in much steeper so more dig into the ground and less roll.

I could only imagine how far Jack would have hit one of today's drivers in his prime

i have always wondered the same thing..

Two things cross my mind here about this test and how it relates to 10 to 20 handicappers. 1) The new larger head and better shaft will help the 10 and 20 handicappers some and 2) The difference in swing speed/ smash factor will show that the average golfer is not helped as much as the better golfer. Just my thoughts but I agree technology helps but the less skilled player the less it helps. I'm not discounting the help technology has made but I'm not of the opinion it has been overwhelming. I do believe it has helped the misses though especially for those of us who miss it a lot.

I can only imagine too. I'm betting I'll be hitting them 400+

I'd like to see the same test with a Taylormade RBZ or R11S, R540, and Burner Bubble. Smaller gaps.
The guys who say that the clubs don't matter are often playing clubs from the 90s like the TZoid. So this is relevant to them...

The thing here is that the older drivers weren't designed with the modern ball in mind. He doesn't get enough spin -> no lift. It's a difference in technologies in both the ball and the club, but they're using the old club with the new ball...which is a terrible mismatch.

Good thoughts, pete
The thing here is that the older drivers weren't designed with the modern ball in mind. He doesn't get enough spin -> no lift. It's a difference in technologies in both the ball and the club, but they're using the old club with the new ball...which is a terrible mismatch.

Very good point Pete, the old Balata that the T-zoid would have been hitting spined a TON more than today's modern ball.

What would've been really interesting is if they'd but a bunch of old balatas in there with the modern driver...I'd like to see that. I found an ooooold sleeve of Tour Balatas that I hit some wedge shots with last summer and the spin on those things are nuts. Imagine what 12.5 launch angle and 115mph SS would do to it.

What would've been really interesting is if they'd but a bunch of old balatas in there with the modern driver...I'd like to see that. I found an ooooold sleeve of Tour Balatas that I hit some wedge shots with last summer and the spin on those things are nuts. Imagine what 12.5 launch angle and 115mph SS would do to it.

:alien:

Holy crazy.. Is that a bouncy ball shaped golf ball :) ? I can't believe how that can hold its shape after being punked by that steel plate!

That's a crazy video Thainn. Just think of that off of a modern driver face.

Thanks thain :alien:

I wonder if that video is real or not though. I think it could happen, but that ball almost looks liquid.

I would almost bet that is a rubber ball made to look like a golf ball..

Good point Pete. I would imagine the tests with a balata ball would be pretty fun.

I don't put any stock in the numbers or results here, but I like how you can see the change in launch and land angles. The persimmon is a 12.5 degree head, yet launches so low. Curious how things change throughout the years.

Back