New England Members

Played Blackstone National Friday morning and am happy to report they seem to have recovered from their problems suffered during the drought of last year, course is in nice condition. Of course now they have some problems due to all the rain this month, but a lot of that is mainly erosion on cart paths and some other areas not all that critical to the course itself.

The last round I played where the course wasn't squishy was in June. With all the rain we have had so far this July, courses are very wet, and play longer too.

Everything in metro-west and central mass is super wet right now.
I played Crystal Lake on Friday and it was really soggy. With the rain we got this morning I would think some holes are bordering on unplayable.

I played Crystal Lake on Friday and it was really soggy. With the rain we got this morning I would think some holes are bordering on unplayable.

I was down on the South Coast of Massachusetts today and we didn’t get much rain at all this weekend. At my house in Metro West it was much different.

I was down on the South Coast of Massachusetts today and we didn’t get much rain at all this weekend. At my house in Metro West it was much different.

Yeah, kinda weird. Where I live we had a few sprinkles, and the next town over had heavy downpours.

Anyone play Owl's Nest in central NH? I will be playing it next weekend and just wanted to get an idea what to expect.

Played it last week. It was off and on rain during the front nine and absolutely poured for a few holes, but I enjoyed it. In great shape and the greens rolled true. With all the rain we've been having, I was surprised it wasn't cart path only, so the course drains well. Since it's in the mountains, lots of elevation changes, which I enjoy. Was somewhat of a slow round though for a Tuesday afternoon. Directional signage to next holes were lacking as well, so there might be some confusion on where to go since it's your first time there. If I wasn't playing with someone who played there previously, I definitely would have got lost between holes 11 and 12 (you cross the main road, stay left after crossing).

And if you get a chance to eat in the restaurant, the smoked scallop chowder is fantastic.

Played it last week. It was off and on rain during the front nine and absolutely poured for a few holes, but I enjoyed it. In great shape and the greens rolled true. With all the rain we've been having, I was surprised it wasn't cart path only, so the course drains well. Since it's in the mountains, lots of elevation changes, which I enjoy. Was somewhat of a slow round though for a Tuesday afternoon. Directional signage to next holes were lacking as well, so there might be some confusion on where to go since it's your first time there. If I wasn't playing with someone who played there previously, I definitely would have got lost between holes 11 and 12 (you cross the main road, stay left after crossing).

And if you get a chance to eat in the restaurant, the smoked scallop chowder is fantastic.

Hey Mikey...thanks very much!

This weather just will not relent. Did play 18 on Saturday and surprisingly no rain, went all around us at Green Meadows. It was really hot and humid but I will take that over rain any day. Every other day rain. At least my water bill will be low for this quarter

This weather just will not relent. Did play 18 on Saturday and surprisingly no rain, went all around us at Green Meadows. It was really hot and humid but I will take that over rain any day. Every other day rain. At least my water bill will be low for this quarter

Our garden loves this weather...everything is very lush.

In a way, it's kinda like playing golf in the early spring...mud golf. The rough is really long and thick at my home course as they haven't had a chance to get out and mow. That heavy equipment could do some real damage to a course that is soaked.

I played Owl's Nest year and I enjoyed it. It was fun course definitely worth playing.

I think I saw a weather map recently that the south shore/Cape is actually still in moderate drought conditions as crazy as that seems compared to the rest of the state.

I think I saw a weather map recently that the south shore/Cape is actually still in moderate drought conditions as crazy as that seems compared to the rest of the state.

I wouldn't say we are in a drought but I haven't seen the stats. My course is as green as I have ever seen it.

I saw the same thing. My response was, "Wait, what?" The ponds on my home course are close to the highest I have ever seen. All the greenery is as lush as I have ever seen it. Heck, the other day I saw a duck and he was waiving a white flag.

Those maps are wack. Says we are in a moderate drought but, we are 4.8" above normal for rainfall in July (so far) with more forecast.

Someone forward me an email from Red Tail, apparently a big renovation project kicking off tomorrow. Expanding the driving range, re-doing the club house and improving course conditions, notably the tee boxes.

Announcement From Red Tail Golf Club
To Our Valued Patrons of Red Tail Golf Club,

We are extremely excited to announce that we will be breaking ground on a major capital improvement plan to Red Tail Golf Club beginning Wednesday, June 23, 2021. This plan will focus on four key areas of improvement:
  • Complete Renovation of the Driving Range
  • Clubhouse Modernization
  • Improving Course Conditions
  • Improving the Food & Beverage Operation at the Club
Our first key area of focus will be a complete renovation of the Driving Range. This renovation will include doubling the grass tee area, a reconfiguration of the layout with the additions of practice target greens, new irrigation, range mats and fixtures. This project is extremely intensive and will require us to bring in approximately 2,500 truckloads of topsoil to complete. Our goal is to create a practice facility that matches the quality of the golf course.

The Range project will be completed in two phases:
  1. Phase 1 will begin Wednesday, June 23, 2021 and will continue until August 19, 2021. During that time the Driving Range will be closed and all play will begin on Hole #10 for those eight weeks. In this phase, we will be bringing approximately 20,000 yards of soil to the back half of the driving range. The Driving Range will tentatively reopen on Friday, August 20, 2021.
  2. Phase 2 will begin on Monday, October 18 and will continue until our planned reopening of the Range in mid–May 2022. This phase will include final grading, the addition of drainage and irrigation, hydroseeding of the site, and installation of the new fixtures.
To help offset some of the inconvenience to customers during the 2021 Golf Season, we will be adding two TrackMan Virtual Golf Simulators that may be used before the round to the clubhouse. The TrackMan installation is underway and should be ready for use by July 1.

The second key area of focus will be modernizing the clubhouse during the off-season, scheduled to begin mid-November. This project will include a complete renovation of the lower level including updated restrooms, new carpet, fixtures, paint, and an overall refreshed feel when you walk into Red Tail. This work will also heavily focus on renovation of the kitchen with new equipment to accommodate the Food & Beverage operation outlined as follows.

Our third key area of focus will be improving the overall course conditions at the club. To start, we have begun resodding multiple tee boxes and will continue to focus on maintaining fantastic tees, especially on the Par 3’s. We have invested over $500,000 in new maintenance equipment orders for the course that will be arriving over the next three months. Included in the new equipment package is a machine that we will use to overseed the fairways. This will aid in rejuvenation of the fairways that are still showing extreme signs of play from the heightened demand last season.

Lastly, we will be tackling the major issue of the Food & Beverage operation at Red Tail. We are excited to finally announce that we have hired an Executive Chef who will be joining us in early July. We plan to offer a more normalized Food & Beverage experience by mid-July to offer traditional pub style food for the remainder of the 2021 Season. A complete kitchen overhaul to include new equipment and flow will also be completed during the off-season to allow more efficiency and different seasonal menus beginning in 2022!

We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to continuing the amazing legacy of Red Tail Golf Club as we make it the signature course of our portfolio.

Sincerely,
Alliance Management

Oh man, yet another reason to avoid the course. And they haven't reduced their prices at all to reflect the driving range being closed. Last time I played there a few weeks back, they didn't even have any range balls (took 30 minutes to call the clubhouse and have the range picker bring some balls back). The course is definitely in better condition than it was last year, but not close to where it should be given the price. And the greens were running really slowly, not inline with the price. Oh, and tee time intervals are 9 minutes. 9 minutes. Yes, that's right. Guess what that leads to...yes, 5+ hour rounds.

I really hope they can address these issues because the layout is fantastic.

By the way, is there any way in the world that the state can save Leo Martin? I moved back to Boston 12 years ago, and it's incredible that the course continues to be in such a horrific state. If the state could just put some money into the course, and water the fairways, they could raise rates and generate some real $s out of it. It's really not that bad a layout, and it's so convenient. Look at the driving range for example. They spent some money on it and now it's full every single day. Imagine what could happen if they just did the same for the course? Do they just not have access to water (even with the Charles right there)? That doesn't seem to be an issue in the winter when they are blowing fresh snow all over the course for x-country skiing.

By the way, is there any way in the world that the state can save Leo Martin? I moved back to Boston 12 years ago, and it's incredible that the course continues to be in such a horrific state. If the state could just put some money into the course, and water the fairways, they could raise rates and generate some real $s out of it. It's really not that bad a layout, and it's so convenient. Look at the driving range for example. They spent some money on it and now it's full every single day. Imagine what could happen if they just did the same for the course? Do they just not have access to water (even with the Charles right there)? That doesn't seem to be an issue in the winter when they are blowing fresh snow all over the course for x-country skiing.
I don't think you know where RedTail is located!!! It is nowhere near the Charles river. lol and I don't think it is owned by the state for that matter.

It seems like a huge oversight. Frankly they have the same issue at Ponkapog also. Two facilities that could be awesome particularly given the locations that are wasted.

View attachment 9017149View attachment 9017150
Wianno, how the other half lives… I could get used to this place. Immaculate conditions, great land movement, perfectly placed bunkers and pure greens. It’s places like this that make you realize you aren’t a bad putter, you just normally play on some real **** greens. All of a sudden you see 4-8-12 footers dropping. The only knock on the place is a short range with mats. Otherwise, I loved everything about it… and a sick logo to boot.
The long par 3 away from water has an insane green. Pin was back left and I watched someone putt a 4 footer from above the hole right off the green.

I don't think you know where RedTail is located!!! It is nowhere near the Charles river. lol and I don't think it is owned by the state for that matter.

"By the way, is there any way in the world that the state can save Leo Martin? I moved back to Boston 12 years ago, and it's incredible that the course continues to be in such a horrific state. If the state could just put some money into the course, and water the fairways, they could raise rates and generate some real $s out of it. It's really not that bad a layout, and it's so convenient. Look at the driving range for example. They spent some money on it and now it's full every single day. Imagine what could happen if they just did the same for the course? Do they just not have access to water (even with the Charles right there)? That doesn't seem to be an issue in the winter when they are blowing fresh snow all over the course for x-country skiing."

ummmm...I was referencing Leo J Martin.

"By the way, is there any way in the world that the state can save Leo Martin? I moved back to Boston 12 years ago, and it's incredible that the course continues to be in such a horrific state. If the state could just put some money into the course, and water the fairways, they could raise rates and generate some real $s out of it. It's really not that bad a layout, and it's so convenient. Look at the driving range for example. They spent some money on it and now it's full every single day. Imagine what could happen if they just did the same for the course? Do they just not have access to water (even with the Charles right there)? That doesn't seem to be an issue in the winter when they are blowing fresh snow all over the course for x-country skiing."

ummmm...I was referencing Leo J Martin.
The problem is the money comes in and then poof, right out into all of the inefficient and wasteful expenditures the state is involved in.

The long par 3 away from water has an insane green. Pin was back left and I watched someone putt a 4 footer from above the hole right off the green.
I somehow hit a high draw that started online with the trap with a 22 degree hybrid and it held to 4 ft for the birdie. I couldn’t hit that shot again if I tried 1,000 times.

Was fortunate enough to get out with a couple THP'ers (Art M and TheDude) a couple weekends ago and hit up Newport National. I had only golfed it in winter conditions so it was nice getting out and experiencing it during normal playing season.

Heading off to TPC in Norton Friday afternoon.

It seems like a huge oversight. Frankly they have the same issue at Ponkapog also. Two facilities that could be awesome particularly given the locations that are wasted.

I honestly think the location of the two state courses is part of the reason they're not getting the attention they deserve. Despite the conditions at Ponkapoag and LJM, they're usually pretty solidly booked (at least that was my experience when I lived in the area). The Boston area is a bit of a public golf desert compared to the Merrimack Valley where I am now. So I'm sure the bean counters see no need. That said, I think when they did the glow-up on Course #1 they should have gone all in and then raised the rates on that course to offset. That layout plus conditioning could support much higher prices.

Was fortunate enough to get out with a couple THP'ers (Art M and TheDude) a couple weekends ago and hit up Newport National. I had only golfed it in winter conditions so it was nice getting out and experiencing it during normal playing season.

Heading off to TPC in Norton Friday afternoon.
Please let us know how TPC is I have always wanted to play there!

Back