New Ford Maverick Pick Up Truck

it's certainly a truck.
Would definitely rather have it be an updated Sportrac.

I really like the class of truck this falls into. I have no need for a full size pick up and it seems like the "mid-size" trucks kept getting bigger and bigger. This is the size that I would want and get the most use out of with the right kind of gas mileage to boot. This and the Santa Cruz are on my radar for sure. Seems like I heard that Kia is coming out with something similar as well. Being that they are the sister brand of Hyundai that wouldn't be a surprse.

Never been a Ford guy, but this isn't bad. I miss my old Dodge Dakota - hopefully I can get another some day.
Loved my Dodge Dakota - Had one with a V8 in it, it would just go.....

Last edited:
Should have just brought back the Ranchero.
They still make them in Australia
1623249007424.png

i can see every utility company / service business in America buying these….. seems similar in size to the OLD Ford Ranger they all used to have. Relatively inexpensive and some light hauling capability.… I’d like to see one in the wild before passing judgement

It’s not a truck, trucks are built on frames and are rwd.

But...Honda is selling a ton of Ridgelines so I could see this selling well to weekend warriors.

Loved my Dodge Dakota - Has one with a V8 in it, it would just go.....

Same. I just remember loving everything about it. Lots of room in the cab and it was dependable.

Loved my Dodge Dakota - Had one with a V8 in it, it would just go.....
Had the same. The V8, rear wheel drive, no weight in the bed. Watch out :oops:

I am a bit lost on this one.. Not understanding the need for this when you already have the ranger..

I dig it. Probably won't replace my tacoma, but I like some of the features they have.

I am a bit lost on this one.. Not understanding the need for this when you already have the ranger..
The ranger will not fit in my garage, but the Maverick will.

As a practical city-sized vehicle that has the option to take you camping or biking or pick up the weekend project's materials, I think this is a real winner.
It's also cheap as chips in the market place - a nicely loaded one for <$40k? Amazing.

Might make a good teen driver car that offers some options to it. Little small for my liking but I guess if you are trying to compete with Honda it works.

I saw this, quickly scoffed at it as I’m not a truck guy and moved on. But I’ve just seen a top gear story saying this starts at 20k. If that’s true, then this is definitely an attractive buy. For most people, that haul nothing more than their weekly shopping from Costco, this is a winner. Hell, it might even convince me to buy a truck.

Awful! Sorry ... don't like it as a "" truck.

I like it. Honda has had this market all to themselves for far too long and its about time there was some competition. For most people, a truck like this is what they really need. Americans may all love half-ton trucks but the fact of the matter for most people is that trying to daily drive a half-ton truck is like having a sledgehammer be the only hammer that you own. Its been often said that the Honda Ridgeline is that truck that no one wants but everyone needs and this Maverick is in the same vein.

Very true. When I retire, I'll probably end up with another pickup truck. While I occasionally haul firewood in my Silverado, I probably won't tow much more than a small boat. So the Ridgeline would be perfect, especially since I am a fan of Honda (I own a Civic). The only problem is...

Well, the Ridgeline is ugly AF.

Also very true. Despite the fact they are practical, are available in AWD, and have plenty of HP, I don't think I could own one unless they changed the looks.

Exactly the kind of buyer Ford is aiming for. Someone coming from a small sedan or hatch…. looking for an inexpensive (relatively) daily driver, choice of gas or hybrid power train and 2WD or 4WD, light duty towing and some room in the back for that weekend trip to the MegaMart or campsite with gear in the back or maybe tow their aluminum bass boat and outboard…. I think this is going to be a pretty successful vehicle launch. Yes, “regular” truck guys may scoff at the size & unibody construction, but many people simply don’t have the need for a heavier-duty vehicle but want the flexibility that a small pickup has to offer

Last edited:
I will look into these when they become available.

Saw a few reveals over the last few days. More “Truck-y” than the Santa Cruz, for sure. I’m kind of interested because of the size and versatility. Besides golf, I am a surfer/bodyboarder with lots of kit kept in the car. Currently have a Suby Crosstrek, which is fine- except… it’s enclosed so the “beachieness” odors will linger. It can get a bit musty after awhile. I need those vent freshener things and Febreze in the car. In addition, the clubs don’t actually fit across the back behind the seats, they have to go in the back seats.
The Maverick seems to have plenty of passenger space separated from the bed so that can eliminate the odor thing AND have room for clubs and my other gear. With a lockable Tonneau cover, may not be a bad choice. Plus a hybrid for around 20K? That’s just a ridiculous price.

Current Ranger is WAY bigger that the old one, just a shade smaller than the F150. Ford missed on that one AFAIC. They could have just waited and branded this one “Ranger” and interest would be even higher based on the name alone

Current Ranger is WAY bigger that the old one, just a shade smaller than the F150. Ford missed on that one AFAIC. They could have just waited and branded this one “Ranger” and interest would be even higher based on the name alone
The ranger is basically the same size as Tacoma’s or Colorado’s isn’t it?

Back