New Ford Maverick Pick Up Truck

The ranger is basically the same size as Tacoma’s or Colorado’s isn’t it?
Which are basically the same size as a 90s F-150. Compact pickups are anything but these days.

This vehicle will fill a niche. The hybrid-CVT powertrain worries me a bit though. The only other Ford I can recall with that combo was the CMax, and if memory serves it took about 5 model years before they “got it right”.

Ford Bronco Sport actually with a ford escape hybrid 2.5L engine. 4.5 foot bed, that opens to 6 foot bed (tailgate down).
FWIW, the Ford Escape with almost the same engine is 8.7 seconds 0 to 60 mph. Not sure that passes the don't get killed getting onto the FWY test.

Who gets on the freeway starting from 0 mph?

I like it. Honda has had this market all to themselves for far too long and its about time there was some competition. For most people, a truck like this is what they really need. Americans may all love half-ton trucks but the fact of the matter for most people is that trying to daily drive a half-ton truck is like having a sledgehammer be the only hammer that you own. Its been often said that the Honda Ridgeline is that truck that no one wants but everyone needs and this Maverick is in the same vein.
Im biased because my parents always owned Fords when I was a kid but I really like what Ford is doing right now. The retro Mustang, the Bronco, the Bronco Sport, the Ranger, the Lightning and now this Maverick. Ford is doing some really good things right now.

Had a couple of Ford Rangers back in the day, and I loved them. Extremely dependable small pickup. The first one lasted me 10 years until some idiot totaled it out from under me! Was driving it daily on sales routes, and it had 495,000+ miles on it! This was back when Ford had Toby Keith advertising for them. I was going to wait until the odometer passed 500K, take a pic of it, and me and my truck (not a speck of rust on it BTW) and send it to them suggesting they put an average Joe in alongside the big star!

As for most trucks being too big for the average person, I agree. Not everybody is a contractor. My buddy has a
Chevy Silverado. Now retired, he spends most days driving to and from his horse barn, where he, and his boy, are doctoring his horse that had foundered. The gas bill was taking quite a chunk of change out of his wallet, so, he looked around and found a decent used motorcycle, a BMW no less! Not the greatest for looks, some signs of use, but it runs like a Swiss watch! And it's real easy on gas!

Back