New Golfer...Old Clubs (First Post Alert)

OverPar247365

Consistently T-20...ish
Reaction score
Handicap
Ladies and Gents!
Like so many before myself, I have recently taken up golf and am playing once or twice a week. I try to hit the range once or twice and play 18 each week. I love the game and have picked it up rather quickly I feel.

I have "hand-me-down" clubs for the most part...Here's what I'm working with.

-Cleveland Launcher 460 Titanium-10.5 (Heavily worn, little to know grooves on face)
-MG Gold "Strong 3"- 13 degree
-Orlimarr?? 5 Wood 18 degree 5 wood
-Ping Eye 2- Blue Dot (3-SW, steel shaft)
-Taylormade Spider- Custom Fit @ Club Champion (30th birthday present from my wife)
-Golf Balls- Whatever I find on the course

I recently had them regripped with the standard Golf Pro grips because the old ones were severely dry rotted and smoother than a baby's butt!

Basically, I love the game but some of my clubs are outdated, probably too long and not made out for my game. Currently shooing 90-95 at my local course with a WICKED push I am trying to figure out. My strengths I have found are around the green and on the smooth carpet with my putter. Not a long hitter of the tee. I am a smaller guy(5' 11", 140lbs) and have accepted my best swing doesn't generate a lot of club head speed. I am trying to get to the point where I am playing enough golf to justify spending the necessary dollars it takes to have a custom fit bag. Until I get to that point, I'm curious what you bunch of golf aficionados think would be the best strategy for upgrading my equipment. I don't need the newest tech. I don't need the fanciest golf balls. But I would like to get some stuff that actually has grooves and possibly more forgiving irons without shelling out the money for the most recent technology. Maybe a hybrid or 2 to help me get that ball off the ground with my lower irons that I am struggling to hit cleanly consistently. If it's a few years old or slightly used, that's all good with me.

Any advice y'all might have for where to look, what to buy or people to talk to, I'm all about it! Thanks ahead of time guys and gals!

OP247365

Welcome to THP!! Shooting in the 90s that early into your golfing life is a definite accomplishment.

The difference in irons is minimal when you get down to it. Getting fitted will give you the best increase in performance. Loft, lie angle, shaft weight, head weight from one club to the next, grip size and weight, shaft kick point, shaft stiffness, shaft length and shaft frequency will make a big difference in consistency and playability. As you improve as a player have your clubs checked to see if they still match your swing. Just my experience of 45 years.

Forgot to mention shaft drop, but they have pills for that.

Last edited:
those Ping eye 2 irons are still a good club even by today's standards. I see many players still rockin those clubs and killin it on the course.

Drivers dont really have grooves on the club face. its more for looks than function. That being said, you might try a 11-12* lofted driver to help with consistency and distance. a driver with adjustable loft may allow you to experiment and find a setting thats right for you.

Im not sure about those woods.

IMO, I would see which clubs are giving you the most trouble and start there. you might also look into trading your 3 iron for another wedge.

it took me 3 years to start breaking 100 so youre doing pretty dang well!

Welcome to THP.

Low 90's for a not-long-off-the-tee first year golfer with outdated equipment is excellent. You're obviously doing something right.

If you spent the money on getting a fitting per say, you could take the specs and piece together some older clubs as you go. Other than that as I went through college I just picked up newer clubs as the budget allowed. Most of the time buying second hand stuff that was still in decent condition and built a very random set.

My first decent set of irons was a second hand set of R7s from a local shop, I think they cost me about $180 back then as they were fairly old. But just because the game can be expensive doesn't mean it has to be just to enjoy!

Welcome to the game, it can be in interesting ride!

Welcome to THP. Tell us more about your miss. Is it with every club? Does it go straight or curve? There is some really great members here that will help you get squared away. A lesson to get your swing in a better place could be your answer.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP.

Once you figure out what you need check out garage sales. Around here almost every other garage sale has some lightly used late model clubs. A friend went to Goodwill and was able to piece together a fairly decent bag to have on hand when her son visits. Total cost was under $100. Her son has actually taken a few of the clubs back home with him.

There’s lots of places to get good quality used equipment for good prices, but finding what fits you is a little trickier. At a minimum a static fitting, will help you find clubs that are the right length/loft/lie for you.

If you’re willing to spend the money lots of places will give you fittings for a fee, and give you the data which you can use to help narrow down the huge selection out there.

Or you can buy blind and enjoy shopping for new clubs ? more than one or two of us here has done/does do that.

Most importantly: Welcome to THP!! :welcome:

Welcome to THP. Tell us more about your miss. Is it with every club? Does it go straight or curve? There is some really great members here that will help you get squared away. A lesson to get your swing in a better place could be your answer.

I feel like my natural ball flight is a left to right fade. (Hit about 100-200 balls with a ball monitor) However, the ball is coming directly off the club going right and it seems my natural fade is enhanced with the ball coming off to the right as soon as it leaves the club face. Seems like on average I’m 8-11 yards right of center line. I think I read it as a “push-fade”. Even when aiming left, the ball will still have an “arc” and end up moving left to right ending back on center line. I also seem to notice if I’m aiming straight, don’t push it, the ball will start left of the target line but fade back to the center.(Obviously an ideal club strike)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you figure out what you need check out garage sales. Around here almost every other garage sale has some lightly used late model clubs. A friend went to Goodwill and was able to piece together a fairly decent bag to have on hand when her son visits. Total cost was under $100. Her son has actually taken a few of the clubs back home with him.

Great idea with the garage sales! I’ll have to check them out! Thanks!

Or you can buy blind and enjoy shopping for new clubs ? more than one or two of us here has done/does do that.

Most importantly: Welcome to THP!! :welcome:

Not sure my wife would appreciate this strategy much but I’m sure I’d enjoy it!

Some good advice here. Welcome to THP. Next time your on the range, (rt. hand player), if you're pushing, take your normal stance and move your left foot forward 1/2 inch, and see if the ball comes off the club straighter. Good luck and good job!

Great idea with the garage sales! I’ll have to check them out! Thanks!

Welcome to THP!

Another idea is to check out your local Craigslist for any deals (clubs and golf balls) as well as the classifieds here! :)

Some good advice here. Welcome to THP. Next time your on the range, (rt. hand player), if you're pushing, take your normal stance and move your left foot forward 1/2 inch, and see if the ball comes off the club straighter. Good luck and good job!

Definitely going to try this! I’ll let you know...I’m also thinking my right hand might be over rotated on the club. (I.e “The V” is facing my left shoulder) and cause the club to rotate too much in my hand on my backswing and I can’t bring it back to center prior to contact but I will certainly give it a try!! Thanks!!

Back