New grips on new clubs?

HERRINGBONE

Reaction score
Handicap
I am pondering new irons and wondered how many people would buy a new set of clubs and put the grips you prefer on them right away or would you play them as is until the grips were wore out?

of course this would be if your favorite grip was not an option upon ordering the clubs.

Thanks for the input.

I would put my grips on them. However I would say that most companies have a number of grip choices you can get when ordering clubs, so I can usually find one that works.

I will usually play the grips that come stock until I wear them down and then replace them. Grips are pricey

I would have to change them.

I change them to what i like

I order the irons with the grips I want.

I too order irons with my preferred grips.

I put new grips on new clubs right away.

I used to wait until the stock grips were worn out. However, on my last 2 sets, I've replaced with with multi-compounds rather quickly.

Going through this exact situation right now. Recently bought Mizuno irons and the grip is GP MCC standard. I play MCC +4 midsize. I'll change them soon and have MCC +4 on everything.

If I were ordering and my grip of choice was not available for a reasonable upcharge, I would have them send the clubs ungripped with the stock grips thrown in the box. If buying a set in a store, I pull and change them ASAP.

I order with my grips of choice if possible. If not then it's replace right away

Grips are one of the most overlooked parts of the game. Too small and your hands squeeze the club too tightly... Too big and you can have a difficult time grasping with feel and control. I like to get a grip fitting every couple of years just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If ordering them with the set wasn't an option I would change them before I left the store.

Did that with my wedges earlier this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Change them to what you like. Not even a question.

I love my Srixon Z545s however I wasn't a fan of the original grips. I replaced them and couldn't be happier.

def put my grips on straight away, more often than not you can specify your grips when ordering, but if not then i order with grips but not installed and change out to my choice of grip

I bought a new set of clubs last December and had Titleist put some GP Tour Wrap 2g's on all the clubs except the putter. Tim

Like most have already said, I order with the grip I like or change them. There haven't been many grips on the clubs off the rack that I have liked.

I am pondering new irons and wondered how many people would buy a new set of clubs and put the grips you prefer on them right away or would you play them as is until the grips were wore out?

of course this would be if your favorite grip was not an option upon ordering the clubs.

Thanks for the input.

I did. I bought my irons, took them home, took the grips off and put a set of the grips I prefer on before I took a single swing with them.

Honestly, depends on the grip. For the most part, I'll tend to roll with what comes stock (if I didn't get to choose) for a few rounds to see how it works. If I'm not digging it, I'll put my grip of choice on them.

Even though they may not be my favorite, if they work, I will play them.

If they are too slick in the heat in which I typically play, they come off asap.

Since I started using air to blow grips on and off, changing is much easier.

Have to have my grips. The stock ones (unless I was able to pick my grips to start with) would be coming off right away. I also build up my grips with extra tape though, so they would need to be adjusted for that reason as well.

I ordered them with the grips already installed for my last purchase, which I plan to do anytime I order new from now on.

Back