New Guitar on the way

i played in a band for a time. i think i have heard of those, but its all about the sound and the comfortability right? or do you care about looks too?
the reason i say that is because those pic look like another brand ive seen. same wood and other things

I have quite the history and story behind playing music. My dad was big time hilbilly/country musician for years. He and Roy Clark were actually some of the first to carry the hillbilly music to DC area in the late 40s. There were pioneers of this music, yet they rarely got acknowledge for it.

That is often how it goes with people that don't really know the history. It wasn't really called country then, it was hillbilly. Roy Clark used to stay with my dad when they were kids and play music for hours on end and make my grandma so mad because they would not go to bed :ROFLMAO:

I also have a special built guitar that was hand made for my dad by a luthier that originally built Martin guitars way back in the day. He only built a small number of guitars on his on and my dad's was the last one he made before he passed away. Has my dad's name in pearl on the fret board. It has a special story of its own about acquiring some of the wood that was used that is very fascinating.

It was used on a number of recordings before my dad passed away because of the absolute rich sound it produced and the studio musicians requested that guitar for the tracks. One in a lifetime guitars are special because of the sound they produce and it isn't always about the brand, but more about the special sound.

You can pick up ten to a hundred high quality guitars and you might find one that has that something special. My dad's D28 Martin was like that and has quite the story behind it too. He was offered quite the king's ransom (if memory serves it was around 20-40 grand which was ridiculous for a D28 guitar at that time) for it about 20 years ago, but would not let it go. I gave it to my youngest son when my dad passed away.

Beautiful! Is that Koa or Cocobolo on the back?
Macassar Ebony. I think it will be a good wood for this size of body, because it reverberates sound quickly, which should give it a nice response. Sometimes the larger bodied guitars lose some of that responsiveness.

Taylor still make some nice sounding guitars! I've played a couple that were really bright, and lookers too!
Taylor makes fantastic guitars. You don’t buy a hand built guitar because it will sound exponentially better. There are many awesome production guitars to be had.

That is gorgeous. Wow...

Would love to see some detail shots of the sound hole rosette... it looks incredibly intricate. Abalone?
I will post some.

I play “at” guitar, but mostly bass and electric. Tommy Emmanuel is one of the most amazing acoustic players I’ve ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I took a workshop from him once. He is as nice as he is amazing with a guitar in his hands. What a player, though!!

I have quite the history and story behind playing music. My dad was big time hilbilly/country musician for years. He and Roy Clark were actually some of the first to carry the hillbilly music to DC area in the late 40s. There were pioneers of this music, yet they rarely got acknowledge for it.

That is often how it goes with people that don't really know the history. It wasn't really called country then, it was hillbilly. Roy Clark used to stay with my dad when they were kids and play music for hours on end and make my grandma so mad because they would not go to bed :ROFLMAO:

I also have a special built guitar that was hand made for my dad by a luthier that originally built Martin guitars way back in the day. He only built a small number of guitars on his on and my dad's was the last one he made before he passed away. Has my dad's name in pearl on the fret board. It has a special story of its own about acquiring some of the wood that was used that is very fascinating.

It was used on a number of recordings before my dad passed away because of the absolute rich sound it produced and the studio musicians requested that guitar for the tracks. One in a lifetime guitars are special because of the sound they produce and it isn't always about the brand, but more about the special sound.

You can pick up ten to a hundred high quality guitars and you might find one that has that something special. My dad's D28 Martin was like that and has quite the story behind it too. He was offered quite the king's ransom (if memory serves it was around 20-40 grand which was ridiculous for a D28 guitar at that time) for it about 20 years ago, but would not let it go. I gave it to my youngest son when my dad passed away.
Wow! Thanks for sharing that post. Roy Clark was one of the best guitarists ever. Your dad must have been awesome, too. You are so right about how few guitars really have that magic to them. I had one once. I mentioned it earlier in this thread. I will never forgive myself for letting it go. This truly was one of the best posts I have read on any forum. It made me glad I started this thread. I would love to see a pic of that guitar you described.

i played in a band for a time. i think i have heard of those, but its all about the sound and the comfortability right? or do you care about looks too?
the reason i say that is because those pic look like another brand ive seen. same wood and other things
I love to look at beautiful woods, just like gorgeous golf clubs are cool. However, it is tone and playability. You are so right.

Wow! Thanks for sharing that post. Roy Clark was one of the best guitarists ever. Your dad must have been awesome, too. You are so right about how few guitars really have that magic to them. I had one once. I mentioned it earlier in this thread. I will never forgive myself for letting it go. This truly was one of the best posts I have read on any forum. It made me glad I started this thread. I would love to see a pic of that guitar you described.
If I get some spare minutes I will tell some more of the stories and I will get a picture of the Winemiller guitar up at some point. My dad and Roy actually composed some of Roy's earlier music he did. My dad was with Patsy Cline for a time as well. My dad also released "I Can See an Angel" and made Billboard top ratings. Patsy Cline released the song I think it was in 1962.

I have a lot of memories. I remember George Jones used to be crazy about my dad and he would yell out any time my dad was around. Strange thing though my dad did not drink and George hit the bottle quite hard, but oddly he really liked my dad. George would be so wasted he could hardly walk. He fell once over his guitar case backstage once and we thought he had ruined his guitar, but it was ok.

I remember when I was a young boy, George and Tammy was doing a concert and me and dad were there. George and Tammy asked if we wanted to join them on the bus for chicken and dumplings that Tammy had made. As a kid I thought that was a big deal and later realized how down to earth they actually were. We often fail to remember they were really just people with people things like the rest of us. I hung out with some entertainers and musicians as a young boy so it just seemed normal to me after a while and never really thought any more about it being special.

I have another story I will share in a future post about Roy and my dad that I know you will get a kick out of. It is priceless!

I love to look at beautiful woods, just like gorgeous golf clubs are cool. However, it is tone and playability. You are so right.
Beautiful wood is amazing and especially on guitars. I also have a Guild DNT 50 that I bought many years ago that is a real quality guitar. What seems crazy to me is how much the price of guitars has gone up over the years. I looked about a year ago and was floored at the prices!

As promised here is a story about Roy Clark, my dad, and my uncle (my uncle was a very good mandolin player as well as guitar player). My uncle is not in the picture below as he never went with my dad to perform professionally.

My grandma would tell this story and would laugh so hard she would have to wipe her eyes dry. So one night while these three young boys were playing music banging away it was getting late. I think it was around 11pm and she had told them to go to bed and they continued playing on.

Well as young boys do, they did not listen and just kept playing music. She told them again to stop playing and go to bed. This was the third time she had told and when you told someone three times that was it.

There was a clear glass door to the den, much like a glass screen door, but with a full glass. The door had one of those springs that kept it closed. The den had been added on to the old farmhouse they lived in and the door was entrance into the den where they loved to play music.

When she approached to tell them the third time, one of the boys said something back to her that wasn't good. Out of impulse and weariness she smacked the young boy. Of course that young boy was my dad that back talked her.

It wasn't really all that hard of a smack, but caught him off balance and he fell back through that glass door and glass went everywhere. The boys were being boys.

The picture below is Roy Clark, my dad, and Buck Austin playing a club TV event. I think it was in DC. I would have to go back to my notes. I think it was dated 1948.

Roy Pete Buck.jpg

As promised here is a story about Roy Clark, my dad, and my uncle (my uncle was a very good mandolin player as well as guitar player). My uncle is not in the picture below as he never went with my dad to perform professionally.

My grandma would tell this story and would laugh so hard she would have to wipe her eyes dry. So one night while these three young boys were playing music banging away it was getting late. I think it was around 11pm and she had told them to go to bed and they continued playing on.

Well as young boys do, they did not listen and just kept playing music. She told them again to stop playing and go to bed. This was the third time she had told and when you told someone three times that was it.

There was a clear glass door to the den, much like a glass screen door, but with a full glass. The door had one of those springs that kept it closed. The den had been added on to the old farmhouse they lived in and the door was entrance into the den where they loved to play music.

When she approached to tell them the third time, one of the boys said something back to her that wasn't good. Out of impulse and weariness she smacked the young boy. Of course that young boy was my dad that back talked her.

It wasn't really all that hard of a smack, but caught him off balance and he fell back through that glass door and glass went everywhere. The boys were being boys.

The picture below is Roy Clark, my dad, and Buck Austin playing a club TV event. I think it was in DC. I would have to go back to my notes. I think it was dated 1948.

View attachment 8988904
Thanks so much for sharing this really cool story. I have enjoyed your accounts of your father. Roy Clark was such a gifted musician. I am sure your dad was, too.

The inbound guitar is out for delivery. I should have some photos later in the day.

I'm glad you started this thread too.

I recently bought a vintage D28. Of course for the sound but also for the quilt of expense hoping it would make me play more. I've had it for about 3 months and have played it three times; but I think about playing it everyday LOL

I'm glad you started this thread too.

I recently bought a vintage D28. Of course for the sound but also for the quilt of expense hoping it would make me play more. I've had it for about 3 months and have played it three times; but I think about playing it everyday LOL
How “vintage” is your D28? I have played a few pre-war instruments that are very difficult to put down. That was always part of it for me. If I invested the funds in something that inspired me, perhaps I would play more. I am really excited to try this new one.

How “vintage” is your D28? I have played a few pre-war instruments that are very difficult to put down. That was always part of it for me. If I invested the funds in something that inspired me, perhaps I would play more. I am really excited to try this new one.
I agree that the term 'vintage' is loosely used these days, mine can be called vintage but since it's not pre-war some wouldn't call it vintage. It was one of the original Gruhn Customs I found on Elderly last summer. I had to send it to my luthier for a neckset, it didn't have any structural damage. It's awesome today, I just need to play it.

I agree that the term 'vintage' is loosely used these days, mine can be called vintage but since it's not pre-war some wouldn't call it vintage. It was one of the original Gruhn Customs I found on Elderly last summer. I had to send it to my luthier for a neckset, it didn't have any structural damage. It's awesome today, I just need to play it.
Sounds like a fabulous instrument. Also, please know that I was not in any way denigrating your guitar by using quotations with the word vintage. As you know, the pre-war guitars are often worth six figures, so I was wondering if you had latched onto one of those treasures.

Sounds like a fabulous instrument. Also, please know that I was not in any way denigrating your guitar by using quotations with the word vintage. As you know, the pre-war guitars are often worth six figures, so I was wondering if you had latched onto one of those treasures.
I didn't read that you were denigrating my guitar, just wanted to point out that some may call my guitar vintage but it's not in my mind.

When I started playing I had a laminated beginner guitar. Once I learned a few things I went to a friends house to get some pointers. He handed me one of his guitars to try, and it played and sounded so much better than mine! It was an original 1939 Gibson Advanced Jumbo. He told me what it was worth and I promptly handed it back. That was my introduction to vintage guitars; he has a few other vintage pieces as well.

Well, it is here. This is worse than golf clubs (due to the price). I am supposed to wait a few hours to open to let it acclimate from the cold truck.

DEE444CF-BE18-4D55-AC64-2145C0F76D93.jpeg

Well, it is here. This is worse than golf clubs (due to the price). I am supposed to wait a few hours to open to let it acclimate from the cold truck.

View attachment 8989588
The waiting while in your house would be tough! Worth it though!!

The waiting while in your house would be tough! Worth it though!!
It’s at my office. Three people have come in and asked me if I got more golf clubs. 😂

nice, I only have to right now, A Fender Acoustic Electric and a Yamaha Electric

Here are some pics:

DB549BD0-448E-4753-B478-69AE2965C242.jpeg092903F8-FEBE-453E-B482-84983CD3F928.jpeg20C9F17B-423A-4670-B5E6-9CACE1F588DD.jpegD8E5C05D-6912-471E-B757-D48E603112C1.jpegE92B8882-F158-486E-BEAD-B28453362145.jpeg7FB26AB8-EECE-4EBF-89B0-75575C273D00.jpeg6324CC36-550A-4E9E-B72A-C574589769B8.jpegC529B8B6-324F-43EA-A2CE-A7DD56D4C432.jpeg3CFD1183-3D1C-4190-B7B8-31186EA75209.jpeg

Back