New Guy Here from Texas

goofydadgolfer

I Have No Idea What I'm Doing
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad
Howdy!

I just joined the forum to see what's up and maybe introduce myself! :wavey:

My name is Robby, and I a live in the west central part of Texas called the Concho Valley (San Angelo), where we don't get much rain, but when it rains it pours! ;)

Anyways! My love for golf started when I was about 10, when my late step grandfather, who was a scratch golfer and tried to go pro a couple of times, asked me to caddie for him during his weekly club tournaments. And a little at a time, I started learning from him how to play this game! After a lot of struggle and some "grass cutting" lessons my grandfather gave me (he used a grass whip to teach me the golf swing), I played my 1st full 18 hole round at age 13 and shot a 112 (I thought it was good)! My friends who were with me, shot in the 120's. Needless to say, I was hooked and all I wanted to do from then on was play golf!

My golf game finally started getting pretty decent around age 15/16, and I traveled around my area with some friends, playing all the little 9 hole courses and a few of the 18 hole courses we could afford to play on. I shot my lowest round of 66 when I was 17, at a local 18 hole public course. After that round, I thought to myself, maybe I start really pursuing this game and try taking it to the next level, and perhaps turn it into something.

But, I also use to love to write songs and play my guitar and sing for people (I just play the acoustic and chords) :guitar:, and had a dream of maybe one day becoming a country music star! I actually got one of my songs published, and started pursuing that dream instead, and put golf on the back burner. So, I moved to where the song writing scene was around Austin, Texas and started playing in the bars and clubs, and for anyone that would listen. But the music business never amounted to much, except a pounding headache the next day :sick:!

And during that time was when I also fell in love with a girl, got married ?‍❤️‍?, and eventually moved back home when things didn't pan out liked I hoped. ?

20 + years later, my oldest daughter was asked by one of her freshman high school teachers, who was also the golf coach, if she played golf and if she would like to join the girls golf team. She said she never played before but her dad (me) use to, and said sure, she would like to give it a try if he would have her, even though she was a beginner! He really just needed a 5th player to round out the team (you have to have 5 to make a team) and her scores wouldn't matter, and was fine with her learning on the go. So then in an effort to teach her the game so she could play, I started playing again! I then realized, I sure missed this game! And, it made me wonder, "what if":unsure: I had chose golf instead of music, where would I be now? Who knows! ?‍♂️

Anyway, it has been a struggle to start over because I am sort of relearning things I once thought I was pretty good at! And, my body just doesn't want to move the way it use to when I was in my teens and early 20's, :confused: but I am slowly improving!:golf:But now, both of my teen daughters are playing golf and I have started blogging and sharing my experience with the game on social media, and having some fun with it!

And as they say, the rest is history! :)

Sorry for writing a ?! :p

Last edited:
Welcome to THP Robby! Great introduction!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP. Where in West TX are you?

Welcome to THP.

Welcome! Happy to hear that you returned to playing golf.

Welcome to THP!!!

Welcome! You'll love it here.

:welcome:

Welcome to THP and it's great you can share the game with your daughters.

Welcome to THP! Not sure where you might be as TX is huge, but I played quite a bit in Abilene (Diamondback) and in Clyde. Clyde is just east of Abilene and has a fun course with a fun group of guys - what's really unbelievable is that they have bent grass greens in that climate!

Welcome to THP!!!

Welcome aboard! There is a sizable Texas contingent on the board. It shouldn't be too hard to get together since everyone is so close. ?

Welcome to THP! The greatest golf show on the interwebs!

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP! Been a great place to me for the short time I've been around here.

:welcome:

Welcome fellow Texan!!:rockon:

Welcome!

Whereabouts in West Central Texas? Fredericksburg? San Angelo?

What clubs did you play in Austin back in the day? I might have seen you 30 years ago.

Welcome tot he community! Nice intro, BTW!

Back