New hybrid suggestions

4maddogs

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A.
Bit of context: Just getting back to golf after a 4 year break. Retired now so have time. I never played regularly enough to improve. I am 65, arthritic and, because I didn’t go below 35 handicap, not expecting a lot….just want to enjoy it and improve a bit.

I have some decent clubs….Callaway Rogue in driver, 5w and 4h; 5i-SW Taylormade Aeroburners (getting on a bit) and a couple of Cleveland wedges. I am no longer a very long hitter at all so I need my longer clubs. I play at a classic links course that is set out along the cliffs on the North sea in UK.

I want to add another hybrid. I don’t find a 5i easy! Should I go for a 5 or 6 hybrid? My strike is not consistent enough to be accurate about distances yet. I can’t find a Rogue 5 or 6h and wondered if the Mavrik is the obvious choice?
So Mavrik? 5 0r 6h?
thanks

Would you consider other brands ?

No worries, I’ve both Callaway older version x hot 3 and a Mizuno CLK hybrid 4, similar head , very reliable Callaway , and the Mizuno is whilst new in similar category . lam older golfer at 60 yo. But have never really enjoyed the lower irons even when younger player , much prefer fairways and hybrids. More importantly don’t restrict yourself to a brand because that’s what your bag is stocked with , find something that gives you greater pleasure and success and scoring chances ) . Good luck in the search , that half the fun

No worries, I’ve both Callaway older version x hot 3 and a Mizuno CLK hybrid 4, similar head , very reliable Callaway , and the Mizuno is whilst new in similar category . lam older golfer at 60 yo. But have never really enjoyed the lower irons even when younger player , much prefer fairways and hybrids. More importantly don’t restrict yourself to a brand because that’s what your bag is stocked with , find something that gives you greater pleasure and success and scoring chances ) . Good luck in the search , that half the fun

I will echo this as far as suggesting you find something that will best fit your game without regard to brand. However, it you’re looking at Callaway, I recommend looking at the Big Bertha B21 5h. It’s a very good hybrid and very easy to hit.

The CLK's had good reviews when they were tested here at THP.

Big Bertha 21 also received glowing reviews.

Mavrik could be considered an evolution of the Rogue so it would not be out of place to look there.

If you're price conscious there are other options as well like Cleveland Launcher. I noticed a thread from 2019 on the front page asking about those.
Tour Edge always gets good reviews and their clubs are just as good as what you're looking at but priced a bit lower.

There are so many options out there...

If you're arthritic like you say, maybe you would want to consider moving your aeroburners to graphite shafts. Several members here have gone to graphite shafts for wrist and elbow pain and most of them say they're not going to willingly go back to steel shafts. Just a suggestion... especially if you're attached to your irons and don't want to change.

Oh an make sure you're playing from the forward tees! Use every advantage you can get.

I’d recommend trying several including the Ping hybrids. Ping seems to perform great for so many.

Depends what you are willing to pay really. The new Cobra hybrids are effortless to hit.

mavrik hybrids are fantastic. i would absolutely recommend checking them out.

If you're concerned about gauging the correct distance for your clubs, you could give yourself more options by buying an adjustable hybrid like the Ping G425.

I’d recommend trying several including the Ping hybrids. Ping seems to perform great for so many.
(y)
Being a Titleist guy myself (I see you are all Cally), I would have to agree with you. Ping makes easy to hit, low profile hybrids and fairways. I think Cobra has some nice options, too. I would not necessarily suggest Titleist for the OP, though they do have a new TSi1, aimed at higher handicap or slower swingspeed players. I have not hit it though, so couldn't recommend at this point. I am very happy with the results I get from my TSi3 20* and the 818H2 21* I had before it. Both simple to hit for a little bit better player and easily workable.

I switched to a 5 hybrid earlier in the year. I’m not the greatest iron striker, and my 5 iron could be a little inconsistent. Best thing I ever did. It’s so easy to hit it’s not real. I went for a Ping g410. It’s good enough that my playing partners have also bought Ping hybrids. I’d go out and try some. Ideally you want one that blends best with your irons. I don’t see the point in playing a 5 hybrid that goes, say 200 yards, if your 6 iron only goes 170 or so.

Mavrik hybrids are great and should be a super easy transition from the Rogue. I was able to swap them out with no adjustment whatsoever.

The CLK's had good reviews when they were tested here at THP.

Big Bertha 21 also received glowing reviews.

Mavrik could be considered an evolution of the Rogue so it would not be out of place to look there.

If you're price conscious there are other options as well like Cleveland Launcher. I noticed a thread from 2019 on the front page asking about those.
Tour Edge always gets good reviews and their clubs are just as good as what you're looking at but priced a bit lower.

There are so many options out there...

If you're arthritic like you say, maybe you would want to consider moving your aeroburners to graphite shafts. Several members here have gone to graphite shafts for wrist and elbow pain and most of them say they're not going to willingly go back to steel shafts. Just a suggestion... especially if you're attached to your irons and don't want to change.

Oh an make sure you're playing from the forward tees! Use every advantage you can get.
Thanks! The irons and wedges are all graphite shafts. I don’t think I could wield steel.

I switched to a 5 hybrid earlier in the year. I’m not the greatest iron striker, and my 5 iron could be a little inconsistent. Best thing I ever did. It’s so easy to hit it’s not real. I went for a Ping g410. It’s good enough that my playing partners have also bought Ping hybrids. I’d go out and try some. Ideally you want one that blends best with your irons. I don’t see the point in playing a 5 hybrid that goes, say 200 yards, if your 6 iron only goes 170 or so.
I would love my 6 iron to go 170yards!!

(y)
Being a Titleist guy myself (I see you are all Cally), I would have to agree with you. Ping makes easy to hit, low profile hybrids and fairways. I think Cobra has some nice options, too. I would not necessarily suggest Titleist for the OP, though they do have a new TSi1, aimed at higher handicap or slower swingspeed players. I have not hit it though, so couldn't recommend at this point. I am very happy with the results I get from my TSi3 20* and the 818H2 21* I had before it. Both simple to hit for a little bit better player and easily workable.
Yea I’m playing Callaway, mostly because I don’t wanna she’ll out more money. One is very old the other a bit newer. If I was ready to spend or replace I’d go Ping and it’s not a tough decision.

Yea I’m playing Callaway, mostly because I don’t wanna she’ll out more money. One is very old the other a bit newer. If I was ready to spend or replace I’d go Ping and it’s not a tough decision.
I guess I should say the ISE Callaway hybrids are hitting my numbers.

I don't know whether you should go 5h or 6h to replace your 5i. When I bought a hybrid to replace my 4i, cuz I never could hit that to save my soul, my guy at Callaway insisted I should replace it with a 4h. (Coincidentally: I can hit my 5i quite well.)

I've seen some people claim you should go up a number when replacing an iron with a hybrid. Others insist it's 1:1.

As for brand/model: I'm not experienced enough to make a recommendation, but I will say Callaway Mavrik hybrids were very well-reviewed here by those who bought them. Last week I hit my Mavrik 4h for the first time, off a mat, and found it mind-boggingly easy to hit.

Now, whether that translates to performance on the course for me remains to be seen ;)

I've seen some people claim you should go up a number when replacing an iron with a hybrid. Others insist it's 1:1.
All depends on how strong your iron lofts are IMO. You've still got to gap correctly.

Mine goes:
3H (19 deg)
5i (22 deg)

If I'd have put a 4H in the bag that would have been 21 deg so would have been pointless.

Ironically all of those are Cobra Radspeed so the same brand. I don't know why they allow their hybrids and irons to overlap like that. Maybe they intend you to skip an iron when putting hybrids in the bag.

All depends on how strong your iron lofts are IMO. You've still got to gap correctly.

Mine goes:
3H (19 deg)
5i (22 deg)

If I'd have put a 4H in the bag that would have been 21 deg so would have been pointless.

Ironically all of those are Cobra Radspeed so the same brand. I don't know why they allow their hybrids and irons to overlap like that. Maybe they intend you to skip an iron when putting hybrids in the bag.
Not really pointless. Irons, and hybrids are two different animals. Lofts are only part of the story. Unless the hybrid is specifically designed to work as part of an iron set (some are), you need to look at other factors. Like where the CG is on your irons, compared to where it is on your hybrid. Most hybrids are designed to fly high, compared to an iron of that same loft. When you add the inch or two longer shaft of the hybrid to the equation, a similar lofted iron becomes even more disparate. I play a 20* TSi3 hybrid, a 22 degree utility iron (with 3i length shaft) and a 24 degree T200 5i. Only 2* of loft between each, yet I average 10-15 yards between each. IMO just looking at loft differences between types of clubs is very short-sided. It's just not that simple.

Hybrids are a great option, they tend to have a higher ball flight the downside is it's easy to turn over those clubs and created draw hook. I put a three hybrid and a 5 hybrid in my bag a long time ago, my friends tried to copy it but they couldn't handle it because all they would do withdraw hook the hybrids all the time. Nowadays you can find hybrids with more toe weighting which will reduce that effect

First, I agree with the suggestion to go graphite in all your shafts if possible. While you don't need to replace the whole bag, certainly if you change irons go graphite, and similarly if you change wedges (though I find steel in SW/LW ok - I struggle with elbow tendonitis...and lower back...and knees...and...).

Second, you may want to "skip clubs" if you're not hitting it long or particularly consistent. If you have a 4H, maybe get a 6H. Or you could go 3-5-7H (love my G425s), then have a 9i and some wedges. The classic "4 degrees between clubs" often doesn't apply for a lot of folks.

Thanks! The irons and wedges are all graphite shafts. I don’t think I could wield steel.
No worries, there are some measures that can be taken with steel shafts that help reduce vibration. That is if vibration is an issue. Steelfiber shafts I think are supposed to help cut the vibes... and some grips also are designed to help do the same.

Golf shouldn't hurt.(y)(y)

I play a 5 iron in the Cobra King Tour at 26 degrees and technically what they consider a 5H at 24 degrees. It really is just a 4 iron in my case and matches up perfectly with my gaps. Accounting for launch, design weighting, shaft length it really works well. MMT shafts are excellent in them as well. The transition to my 5 irons with Nippon Modus 120 S is pretty seemless

Back