n3gativ3

Reaction score
Handicap
So, I've been looking at buying new irons, the irons I've looked at are the Callaway Apex 21, Srixon ZX5, P790 irons maybe others but as a lefty some of the other options aren't available

I had the Titleist 716 AP1 irons but I was not a fan, they were super jumpy and it just wasn't a good iron for me

I wanted the ZX5 irons but I've heard the ZX5 irons also feel jumpy, which is why I didn't buy them or haven't yet which brought me to the apex 21, they seem to have good reviews

I've looked at the zx7 and 921 SEL, and the apex pro but I'm not sure id feel very confident using either currently, they are just a bit smaller than id like

so I'm not really sure where to go from here, I'm thinking apex 21 is probably the best option, I could maybe combo them with like 8-pw of the PRO as well, but the apex 21 is just a little bit too chunky

maybe nothing will be exactly what I want and I'm coming that that conclusion,

but does anyone have input or suggestions

Just so we are talking apples to apples, what do you mean by jumpy?

Probably the occasional hot flier.

So, I've been looking at buying new irons, the irons I've looked at are the Callaway Apex 21, Srixon ZX5, P790 irons maybe others but as a lefty some of the other options aren't available

I had the Titleist 716 AP1 irons but I was not a fan, they were super jumpy and it just wasn't a good iron for me

I wanted the ZX5 irons but I've heard the ZX5 irons also feel jumpy, which is why I didn't buy them or haven't yet which brought me to the apex 21, they seem to have good reviews

I've looked at the zx7 and 921 SEL, and the apex pro but I'm not sure id feel very confident using either currently, they are just a bit smaller than id like

so I'm not really sure where to go from here, I'm thinking apex 21 is probably the best option, I could maybe combo them with like 8-pw of the PRO as well, but the apex 21 is just a little bit too chunky

maybe nothing will be exactly what I want and I'm coming that that conclusion,

but does anyone have input or suggestions

Give us an idea of likes and dislikes in your iron picks, like offset preference, head size preference, forged or cast, budget, etc.

If the Apex pros are too small and the regular Apex are too chunky, I’m honestly not sure what iron would fit your eye.

What charactistics are you looking for in the irons?

If you are looking for more spin, how about looking at Hogan? They have options, they are good and the price is right. I have no idea how their options might fit between the Apex and Apex Pros for size but it’s a thought.

Sounds like you're looking for something in the "players distance" department.

I hit the Apex, Apex DCB and ZX5 last week in graphite shafts. I came close to buying the Apex DCB and then asked to hit the ZX5. The ZX5 was more consistent (carry distance, height, dispersion) and a bit longer carry than the Apex DCB. All three are excellent choices. I went with the Recoil 760 ES Smacwrap shaft.

I think the Taylormade P770 irons make the most sense for you....

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metals would be worth a good look.

If the Apex pros are too small and the regular Apex are too chunky, I’m honestly not sure what iron would fit your eye.

What charactistics are you looking for in the irons?

If you are looking for more spin, how about looking at Hogan? They have options, they are good and the price is right. I have no idea how their options might fit between the Apex and Apex Pros for size but it’s a thought.

Yeah, I can't think of much that sits in between those two. The regular apex is short heel-toe, but the top line is a bit thicker, and the pro isn't a ton smaller. 770s are a little bigger than the Apex pro, so that might fit. Maybe the Titleist T200?

Give us an idea of likes and dislikes in your iron picks, like offset preference, head size preference, forged or cast, budget, etc.

no budget

offset preference, i dont have like a specific mm amount but the offset on the zx5,apex 21 is around what i like and that is around 3mm

head size preference on the smaller side, again

forged

maybe there is nothing that is perfect for me lol and il just have to live with that

no budget

offset preference, i dont have like a specific mm amount but the offset on the zx5,apex 21 is around what i like and that is around 3mm

head size preference on the smaller side, again

forged

maybe there is nothing that is perfect for me lol and il just have to live with that

Don‘t rule out a component head like the Maltby TS-1 In your search. Golfworks will build it to your specs If you go with one of their club packs. I’ve heard they’re a very forgiving head for their size. I’ve got the TS-2’s and they’re amazing. They’ll probably go back into play once I finish out the Maltby bag.

Last edited:
Back