New Irons Choice - Help Please

Dazinkster

Reaction score
Stokenchurch, Bucks, United Kingdom, United Kingdo
Handicap
9.8 CONGU
Hey guys, I'm hoping to get some decent opinions here, feel free to discuss/reccomend away :D

I'm officially a 17 handicap, but my mates make me play off 12 because that's more realistic. I only hit 1-2 "duff" shots every couple of rounds i.e. 90% of my iron shots are good strikes so I consider myself a decent striker (majority of my lost shots come from poor short game play with the occasional errant drive). I've also only been playing 10-12 weeks so am improving all the time.

I HATE the "true" game improvement irons as the ultra thick top line doesn't give me any confidence...it makes me think I'm an idiot that needs a tennis racket size club just to even hit the ball!! But obviously I'm no tiger woods so I think proper blades are still a bit above me.

Anyway, the clubs the shop assistant suggested to me today were:
Wilson ci9's
Wilson FG Forged Tour's
Yoenix VMX's
TaylorMade R9's
Nike Vr Split Cavitiy's

Now I must admit I'm kind of already in love with the Nike Vr's, but I'm tryng to keep an open mind so any positive experiences/reviews of the others would give me food for thought. Also, I'll obviously be trying any new clubs out before I buy them.

Thanks in advance

try the Adams pro black CB2's...sick!

Out of the clubs on the list, I would say the R9s. They offer the most forgiveness out of any of those irons you listed in my opinion.

i'm going to have to nominate the ci9's, based off of your list of irons. they have thinner lines than the vr's and imo, feel much smoother. i absolutely love the fst shafts in them. they inspire confidence over the ball, and imo, tremendous value for the money.

Just done a little bit of online research into the specs:

Not a fan of the way the ci9 lofts are 3* apart at the long iron end and 4* apart at the short iron end...and the PW is 44*, thats basically what my 9 iron is atm. I'd much rather it were the other way round with short gaps at the short end and long gaps at the long end. But surely consistant gaps throughout the set would be the ideal?

The R9's fall into the same category, the lofts are all 2/3* stronger than traditional clubs. The TP version's are better so I guess it'd be them if I went for the R9's.

Here is a quick thought. THe best thing to do might be to hit all of them and see which ones fit your swing the best.

Here is a quick thought. THe best thing to do might be to hit all of them and see which ones fit your swing the best.

+1, i think that would be the best.

Just done a little bit of online research into the specs:

Not a fan of the way the ci9 lofts are 3* apart at the long iron end and 4* apart at the short iron end...and the PW is 44*, thats basically what my 9 iron is atm. I'd much rather it were the other way round with short gaps at the short end and long gaps at the long end. But surely consistant gaps throughout the set would be the ideal?

The R9's fall into the same category, the lofts are all 2/3* stronger than traditional clubs. The TP version's are better so I guess it'd be them if I went for the R9's.

you can always have the lofts bent to fit your needs. i wouldnt go to the r9 tp's just because the lofts are what you want. two different animals in the regular r9s and r9 tp's.

you can always have the lofts bent to fit your needs. i wouldnt go to the r9 tp's just because the lofts are what you want. two different animals in the regular r9s and r9 tp's.

Not always.

Naturally! This will ultimately be how I decide. Just curious to hear other opinions, experiences and suggestions of other clubs.

I think my pre-liking of the Nike clubs may be because I tried out LOADS of different hybrids and drivers before settling on Nike products as they felt best. So I have a slight pre-conceived notion that Nike clubs tend to fit my swing best...but as I mentioned I'd still like to keep an open mind.

Naturally! This will ultimately be how I decide. Just curious to hear other opinions, experiences and suggestions of other clubs.

I think my pre-liking of the Nike clubs may be because I tried out LOADS of different hybrids and drivers before settling on Nike products as they felt best. So I have a slight pre-conceived notion that Nike clubs tend to fit my swing best...but as I mentioned I'd still like to keep an open mind.

dont forget about the nike machspeeds then!

Very true, can't say I'm a fan of the way they look at address but couldn't hurt to hit a few!

It really will come down to your ball striking. For me, top lines dont bother me, I want as much forgiveness I can have without sacrificing performance. For others it does. I am all about playing the clubs that give me the best ball flights to help me score. I dont care about lofts as long as they match and dont leave me with holes in my game. For you its clearly different, you want thin clubs, that clearly have minimal offset. I assume you hit a high ball already and dont need the offset for assistance in that nature.

Those are GI irons and he said he did not like a thick topline.

Keep us in the loop with the progress you are making with your decision. I always like to hear things like this.

VR split cavities are on sale for ridiculous prices right now I believe and they are an amazing club. Nike hit a homerun with these.

Keep us in the loop with the progress you are making with your decision. I always like to hear things like this.

I will do! My next lesson is in 2 weeks time, then I'll most likely have a good discussion with my pro and see iif he thinks my swing is ready to make the plunge into new irons...as I don't want to get new clubs custom fit only to have my swing change soon after.

I'll go and hit some of these clubs down my local range over the next few weeks and post my thoughts and findings on here.

VR split cavities are on sale for ridiculous prices right now I believe and they are an amazing club. Nike hit a homerun with these.

What are you off JRod? Would you say you're ball striking ability is really good?

The other thing I expect the sales assistant to say will be something like "if you get a players iron you'll se your scores go up, not down". This may very well be true, but it'll mean I'd have to work on improving rather than just letting the technology bail me out all the time which will obviously make me better long term.

What are you off JRod? Would you say you're ball striking ability is really good?

The other thing I expect the sales assistant to say will be something like "if you get a players iron you'll se your scores go up, not down". This may very well be true, but it'll mean I'd have to work on improving rather than just letting the technology bail me out all the time which will obviously make me better long term.

This isn't true imo. People like to yak about feedback and yada yada but knowing where on the face you hit it can be had with any iron imo. I have seen guys that are decent golfer and play blades literally not hit one single "good" iron shot all day long and their score suffered. Knowing you missed it and on which side can be had with any iron just going off ballflight but having blades or players irons is not gonna magically teach you how to fix it. If you want to hit a soft draw to a back pin location, then get blades. Otherwise don't.

Not always.

I don think i have ever seen an iron that you couldn't bend at least a couple degrees. Heck you can order em that way in most situations.

I completely disagree, but just my opinion.

I don think i have ever seen an iron that you couldn't bend at least a couple degrees. Heck you can order em that way in most situations.

You can order just about any iron anything, but there are quite a few irons that stores will not (and should not bend) due to alloy metals, harder metals and breakage problems. We hear it time after time that stores will not even touch these because of it. The Tour Van guys (Taylormade in this case) have said that most wedges can be bent up to 2 degrees in a store despite the metals used because of shape, but many irons should not even be attempted.

I completely disagree, but just my opinion.

Fair enough, this is the good info I need ;) Having only been playing a relatively short amount of time I figured it was like other sports I played (i.e. american football) where the best way to get better was to challenge yourself and play against better opponents. If I played verses poorer opposition then I wouldn't learn anything so would stay the same.

I guess the best bet would be to talk to my pro/coach to see what he thinks of my ability and what style of clubs to look at, as with anything...talk to the people who know about this sort of stuff ;)

Back