New irons or reshaft

hedley_lamarr08

Happy to be here.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Been playing Ping i200 for about 3 years now. Still satisfied with performance and don't mind the look or feel. However, I recently had to replace the 5 iron shaft that broke after a swing (no funny business, wife was actually there when it happened) and with the pandemic, shipping, shaft and grip cost me $90 total. My 6 iron shaft is slightly bowed inward, and the PW has a downward bend causing the toe to drop. KBS Tour shafts, and they blame it on shaft flex though I've always played regular flex in my irons. I'm not buying their explanation and probably not their product anymore. Obviously I will have to reshaft or replace.

By the time I buy new shafts with grips and install I'm looking at roughly $400, if I'm lucky. The irons I own are worth roughly $200. Is it worth a reshaft at this point?

SO, if I roughly have $400 saved and $200 on trade in that really is net $550 to $650 in my pocket. Would it be smarter to buy new irons? I've narrowed it down to 2 sets really. New Level 1126, 5-P and I'd have to buy a gap wedge which would be around $800. JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4-GW for $799. I've not had a change to hit either as I haven't decided to make the jump. The New Level is unknown to me but the reviews are great. Mizuno is Mizuno.....

What would you guys do? (Typically I get good advice from here and lead in the right direction so give me your best guess.)

i have no leg to stand on here but....what is it you WANT to do? either buy involves some adjustment (unless you go back to the same shafts?) but what will make you happier in the long run?

What would you guys do? (Typically I get good advice from here and lead in the right direction so give me your best guess.)

If you liked playing the i200 buy a new set of same, or, a new set of i210.

Don't buy anything unless you get to try them first.

Been playing Ping i200 for about 3 years now. Still satisfied with performance and don't mind the look or feel. However, I recently had to replace the 5 iron shaft that broke after a swing (no funny business, wife was actually there when it happened) and with the pandemic, shipping, shaft and grip cost me $90 total. My 6 iron shaft is slightly bowed inward, and the PW has a downward bend causing the toe to drop. KBS Tour shafts, and they blame it on shaft flex though I've always played regular flex in my irons. I'm not buying their explanation and probably not their product anymore. Obviously I will have to reshaft or replace.

By the time I buy new shafts with grips and install I'm looking at roughly $400, if I'm lucky. The irons I own are worth roughly $200. Is it worth a reshaft at this point?

SO, if I roughly have $400 saved and $200 on trade in that really is net $550 to $650 in my pocket. Would it be smarter to buy new irons? I've narrowed it down to 2 sets really. New Level 1126, 5-P and I'd have to buy a gap wedge which would be around $800. JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4-GW for $799. I've not had a change to hit either as I haven't decided to make the jump. The New Level is unknown to me but the reviews are great. Mizuno is Mizuno.....

There are a lot of players out there complaining about certain KBS shafts bending or breaking at the hosel. I just bought 8 brand new KBS Tour 90's .370 tips off Ebay for $69.00 with shipping all because they are missing shaft labels. I hope mine don't have the same problems. I guess I'll see.

If you are still happy with the i200 heads, there are some very trustworthy guys on Ebay who sell a lot of shaft pulls.

If it were me, and I was happy with the i200’s I’d re-shaft. But I’m also doing that work myself so saving a few dollars there. I also get the satisfaction of the completed project, but that’s something I enjoy.

To me, it would depend on how well I liked/played the current irons. If I was totally in love with them, I'd reshaft - if I was 'meh' about them and pondering a new set anyway, I'd put the money there - but I'd research, demo and get fitted before I bought them.

To me, it would depend on how well I liked/played the current irons. If I was totally in love with them, I'd reshaft - if I was 'meh' about them and pondering a new set anyway, I'd put the money there - but I'd research, demo and get fitted before I bought them.

I don't think I can research anymore haha I'm just wondering if it's worth reshafting vs buying new. Feed the urge for "New" now and not spend the same money later... Anyone have any experience or thoughts on New Level Golf?

Don't buy anything unless you get to try them first.

I'll 2nd this. I'd at least demo something before I bought it. A fitting would be great, too, if you can swing it (no pun intended).

If it were me, and I was happy with the i200’s I’d re-shaft. But I’m also doing that work myself so saving a few dollars there. I also get the satisfaction of the completed project, but that’s something I enjoy.
This. My epoxy is curing as we speak. This was my first go at reshafting and it was intense, but I had a blast. Great way to get real acquainted with your clubs.

I'd step back a second, you're whole bag is Ping now you're going to mess with that and you haven't even hit either of the irons you mentioned? Go to a Ping fitter or Ping Demo day and hit some irons. :)

I'd step back a second, you're whole bag is Ping now you're going to mess with that and you haven't even hit either of the irons you mentioned? Go to a Ping fitter or Ping Demo day and hit some irons. :)

I'm not worried about it being all Ping. Just worried about the clubs going the correct distance and not being bowed :) If I reshaft I can save a little money but likely not a lot. I was replacing the irons at the end of this season anyways. (Ping delayed and new JPX line in August really were the two candidates for replacement. I'm looking at shafts now to see if I can find a deal. No one local does this kind of work and I'm not going to do it myself. Time won't allow for it right now.

I think you’ve made up your mind, enjoy your new irons 😜. Not sure which irons to recommend, never hit either.

I think you’ve made up your mind, enjoy your new irons 😜. Not sure which irons to recommend, never hit either.

Only thing stopping me is not knowing more about New Level. I am sure the Mizuno will work, just have to drive an hour to hit them tomorrow.

I was replacing the irons at the end of this season anyways.... No one local does this kind of work and I'm not going to do it myself.
These two statements change it for me then... no sense in replacing shafts when you’re spending the money next year to buy new clubs. The difference in your estimates are negligible.

These two statements change it for me then... no sense in replacing shafts when you’re spending the money next year to buy new clubs. The difference in your estimates are negligible.

That's why I'm kinda stuck... I don't dislike what I have but they have an expensive issue. Add the trade value and it's almost a wash in cost in golf prices.

That's why I'm kinda stuck... I don't dislike what I have but they have an expensive issue. Add the trade value and it's almost a wash in cost in golf prices.
My new vote is for the Mizuno set. I may have a little recency bias though. Fair warning!

I'd do a SWOT... strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats on this...

Strength - you know you're replacing the irons for next year

Weakness - you're concerned about the shafts. 3 iffy clubs.

Opportunity - New Level or Mizuno

Threat - bad shafts in current irons reduce trade in value. May have additional failures in more than the 3 current clubs

Why New Level specifically? I've no experience with them.
Why Mizuno specifically?

Is there anything at Callaway preowned, Carls Golfland, or Budgetgolf that suits you?

Can you continue to save money bit by bit as the season winds towards its end to purchase new clubs later and chance that the irons hold together?
Do you have interest in something by Callaway, TaylorMade, Titleist, Cobra, Cleveland, Srixon, Wilson Staff, Bridgestone, or other manufacturers? I intentionally left Ping out because they're not helping your issue.

Absolute worst case scenario, are you able to find a $50 set of clubs somewhere around to use to keep your Pings pristine for trade in value and you still get to play until you replace them?
Not as bad case scenario do you have a buddy you can borrow some clubs from until you get to replace yours to keep your Pings trade in value?

I'd do a SWOT... strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats on this...

Strength - you know you're replacing the irons for next year

Weakness - you're concerned about the shafts. 3 iffy clubs.

Opportunity - New Level or Mizuno

Threat - bad shafts in current irons reduce trade in value. May have additional failures in more than the 3 current clubs

Why New Level specifically? I've no experience with them.
Why Mizuno specifically?

Is there anything at Callaway preowned, Carls Golfland, or Budgetgolf that suits you?

Can you continue to save money bit by bit as the season winds towards its end to purchase new clubs later and chance that the irons hold together?
Do you have interest in something by Callaway, TaylorMade, Titleist, Cobra, Cleveland, Srixon, Wilson Staff, Bridgestone, or other manufacturers? I intentionally left Ping out because they're not helping your issue.

Absolute worst case scenario, are you able to find a $50 set of clubs somewhere around to use to keep your Pings pristine for trade in value and you still get to play until you replace them?
Not as bad case scenario do you have a buddy you can borrow some clubs from until you get to replace yours to keep your Pings trade in value?

Ive had my eyes on the Mizuno lineup but didn't dislike mine enough to pay for them. KBS seems to be sending me 2 replacement shafts when they open back up... getting them installed and putting the grips on will cost a little but nothing to prevent it. Ping isn't an issue, they just haven't released anything new.. the i210 isn't really much different than what I have and I don't care a lot for the back of the G410, though I'm not above playing it. Srixon, Wilson, Bridgestone, Cleveland are all basically Big Foot in my area. CPO Apex 19 cost more than the new Mizunos and the 16s I had and couldn't get to stop. I'm going to play the Pings until I get something new.. even if it's a model due to be replaced.

Mizuno JPX919’s are going on sale now. New model is supposed to be released in the fall. Might be a good time to buy if you are committed to the 919’s.

Yes the new JPX line just got a price drop, I’m currently playing Ping i e1’s and like them, but have always wanted a set of the JPX 919 forged, so with the price drop I’m pulling the trigger tomorrow on a new set 5-GW at my local shop with the Modus Tour 105 shaft. Excited 😊

I ended up falling down the Titleist worm hole last night and looking at the T100-S. Gonna just have to go hit them all and see what happens.

I have not hit them, but given the T100-S heritage being a more pure version of the AP2, I'd expect them to be a fair amount less forgiving than what you are using now.

Dave

Ive had my eyes on the Mizuno lineup but didn't dislike mine enough to pay for them. KBS seems to be sending me 2 replacement shafts when they open back up... getting them installed and putting the grips on will cost a little but nothing to prevent it. Ping isn't an issue, they just haven't released anything new.. the i210 isn't really much different than what I have and I don't care a lot for the back of the G410, though I'm not above playing it. Srixon, Wilson, Bridgestone, Cleveland are all basically Big Foot in my area. CPO Apex 19 cost more than the new Mizunos and the 16s I had and couldn't get to stop. I'm going to play the Pings until I get something new.. even if it's a model due to be replaced.
Tour Edge has their stimulus sale going on right now... good prices for great clubs. I looked at it for me especially with their HL3's... previous gen tech for low prices but their short irons were sold out in lefty.

Back