New Lofts Getting a Little Crazy

I can make the case the only people that seem to care are those that would never play stronger lofts anyway,
What's 'stronger'? If it doesn't matter, and there's no baseline, there's no 'stronger'.

Is there any standardization of launch and landing for iron numbers though? At the end of the day doesn't the person need to know what a club does regardless of what is stamped on the club?
how does a loft stamped on there do that? If I tell you I have two drivers and one is 9 degrees and the other is 12, does that mean the 9 goes further?

What's 'stronger'? If it doesn't matter, and there's no baseline, there's no 'stronger'.
I have said that for years. Some on the internet seem to disagree.

how does a loft stamped on there do that? If I tell you I have two drivers and one is 9 degrees and the other is 12, does that mean the 9 goes further?
I don't think stamping lofts on is the answer either. That wasn't really my point of the question. Having a number on the club is fine. I wouldn't care if my 5 irons in my current set said 3,4 or 5. I don't care if my 23.5 degree 5 iron says 1,2,3,4 ,5 or if it is a color as long as I know i can hit it 200 yards and stop it within a certain distance.

I get a kick out of this conversation everytime it comes up. The number on the bottom is meaningless.

Does it matter? If you don't like the loft/distance progression for a set of clubs, don't get them.

I really don’t understand why the loft even matters. As long as you know what club goes how far that’s all you need.

Who sets the rules on what lofts are numbered what clubs?

I often wonder if the people angry about this are also angry that a shirt labeled Medium is a Large from a few decades ago? I’m guessing not. 😀
I am not going to say that I’m angry, but my ego is even worse off because now you’re telling me that I am even fatter than I thought I was. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: JB
I just want to know what TW stands for. I can't figure it out even on their site.
“TW” stands for “Tiger Woods.” Everybody knows that.

I don't care what the loft is as long as the club goes the distance I need, the height I need, the forgiveness I need and the spin I need.

I really don’t understand why the loft even matters. As long as you know what club goes how far that’s all you need.
It doesn’t matter, but it’s something to cling onto and point out without taking into consideration the reason for the lofts changing over time. Low hanging fruit my man. (y)

You nailed it though, it’s what I always try to tell people in wedge setup threads, stop focusing on loft and just focus on your actual distance gaps.

Saw the below specs for the new Epon 706. Epon is not the only one, but these strong lofts have really gotten out of hand.

View attachment 8977719

Looking at the specs, I might agree with you, but here is a recent experience I've had with my new iron fitting. I had a set of Maltby irons that were from 2010. My new 7-iron has significantly less loft at 29 degrees. While the gain of carry (of nearly 30 yards, which did surprise me), decrease in backspin, and lower launch angle were to be expected, I did NOT expect that the descent angle would be practically the same. Plus, the irons I ended up with were also very consistent in their performance. In short, it worked for me.

Last edited:
I don't care what the loft is as long as the club goes the distance I need, the height I need, the forgiveness I need and the spin I need.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

And depending on the height, the spin needed will vary as well.

Who sets the rules on what lofts are numbered what clubs?

I often wonder if the people angry about this are also angry that a shirt labeled Medium is a Large from a few decades ago? I’m guessing not. 😀
Hey don't attack my schmediums

I love it. Loft jacking is real, but I think tech has caught up to aggressive lofts, launching higher while being longer.

The ole marketing ploy of 10 yards further, it all depends on what is being compared.

why are there no 48° LWs? why is the AW in this set still 50°? T wedge? Why not T iron? or 11 iron? or P.5?

just get used to the distance of your irons and if you play one more than the next guy, so be it. ITs just a number

Is there any standardization of launch and landing for iron numbers though? At the end of the day doesn't the person need to know what a club does regardless of what is stamped on the club?
I like that the number on the head is the great neutral... because it allows the freedom of variance by design to support different things.

As far as I am concerned, the only 'loft' that matters is what's hitting the ball at contact.

What good does a loft do, though? Two clubs could have the same loft and launch differently from one another, completely erasing any value of loft visualization.

oh you stop it with your logic and reason.

oh you stop it with your logic and reason.
I really think it's funny..

Hell, I play strong lofted clubs, but I also add loft at contact, so I'm just neutralizing the difference (which helps my "entirely too high" launch).. I couldn't care less what 'stock' is if the golfer using it gains optimal numbers from it.

Back