New Lofts Getting a Little Crazy

The problem here is WTF is a TW.
It's a Titian Wedge, named after the 16th Century Italian painter and inventor. He was the first person to develop golf clubs with lofts. Before him they all had flat faces like hockey sticks and just varied in the size of the face, from pie-pan size down to half-dollar size. He was revolutionary.

I just want to know what TW stands for. I can't figure it out even on their site.
This is my question. You can't just invent a new wedge and not tell us the name LOL!

I have two 9 irons in my bag right now. I really want to give the shorter one a new wedge name now that I have seen TW here.

It's a Titian Wedge, named after the 16th Century Italian painter and inventor. He was the first person to develop golf clubs with lofts. Before him they all had flat faces like hockey sticks and just varied in the size of the face, from pie-pan size down to half-dollar size. He was revolutionary.
Conveniently shortened to the Titi Wedge?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

yeah, but what is 'normal'?

Normal is a poor choice of words as lofts keep getting pushed like this. Still you know what I meant.

I’ve heard launch sometimes being one reason the numbers change. Hard to say if that is really the case or if it is look how far I hit this 7 iron.

Normal is a poor choice of words as lofts keep getting pushed like this. Still you know what I meant.

I’ve heard launch sometimes being one reason the numbers change. Hard to say if that is really the case or if it is look how far I hit this 7 iron.
It is absolutely the case.

I don't really care what they want to call the club, I for one LOVED hogan going lofts only. But I am a nerd and pay attention to what the lengths and lofts of my clubs are and any clubs I test out.

numbers are numbers. all i care is about carry distance and fit (in conjunction with the shaft).

that said, my current iron is 34* which would be in between epon's 8-9i. i'd be in between an epon 8-9i for a 170 yd shot!

I simply look at the specs. I know for me I cap out gap wise with an iron at 26* and 37.75" length. Whether that is a 5i, 6i, 7i etc I just look at the specs.

I think where the loft jacking hurts a consumer is say Avg Joe golfer goes into a box store and picks up something like a Bridgestone JGR H1 7i demo to hit which is 26* and 38.25*.
This will outperform most 7i demo irons simply based on specs as this is really a club or 2 strong. Not only in loft but in length too.
Joe goes and buys a 5-GW set based on the 7i demo and now can't get the 5i and 6i to work because of his moderate swing speed + lower lofts and longer lengths (harder to hit). Then on the bottom end, his GW is really a PW and now has a major gap with his SW. Obviously we are a different crowd than the Avg consumer so this is focused on people who do not follow specs and such like we do.

Like right now I am considering the new Cobra irons.. with the 7i being a 27.5* I am thinking I can drop a 6i and go 6h and also on the bottom end of the bag, the SW is 2* stronger than my normal SW so I am expecting to add a 58* LW over my normal 60*.

Please bear with me. I do not understand this trend. Most players cannot hit a 23/24 degree 4 iron. In the referenced Epon 706 irons, the 5 iron is 22 degrees. Now, most golfer will have to use a hybrid 5 iron. The issue is where it comes to higher lofts. The lob wedge, sand wedge and gap wedge lofts have not changed. They are not flying higher or longer. If you are a good wedge player, you are trying to flight the ball down with wedges. The issue is you will now have to carry 5 wedges. PW1 (40 degrees), PW2 (45 degrees) GW, SW & LW. Manufactures are selling you a set that has a 4 iron and 5 iron that they know you cannot hit because they know all the masses want is distance. They can sell an 18 degree 6 iron and 80%+ will not be able to hit it. (it still comes down to the actual loft. A PW will always be easier to hit than a 3 iron because of loft.) They also know you will need 5 wedges to maintain proper distance gaps in wedges. You will have to buy at least one more wedge and one possibly 2 more hybrids to keep the numbers on the bottom of the clubs in order. This is not just about latest and greatest tech, its about selling more clubs. Wedges to be specific. If not, why can't they just keep putting a 4 iron on the new 5 iron and a 9 iron on the new PW. (I'll explain. If the new fad is a 40 deg PW and a 22 deg 5 iron, we can sell you a "new" 5 hybrid and you will need a "new" 45 deg tweener wedge to cut the gap between the PW and GW.

Back