New Member from SoCal

Welcome aboard

Welcome to THP!! Glad to hear you’ve got 14 reasons... or more.

Welcome to THP!!

Welcome. West LA born and raised. Let me know if you have any questions about SoCal courses have played quite a few

Welcome to THP

:welcome:

Welcome. West LA born and raised. Let me know if you have any questions about SoCal courses have played quite a few

Thanks! Any standouts for you up in LA-area that would be worth the day-drive? I was lucky enough to get invited to play Rolling Hills CC at the end of last year, and it was a great course. Would love to play some of the big courses like Riviera or LA Country Club but not sure how hard it is to get out there.

Thanks! Any standouts for you up in LA-area that would be worth the day-drive? I was lucky enough to get invited to play Rolling Hills CC at the end of last year, and it was a great course. Would love to play some of the big courses like Riviera or LA Country Club but not sure how hard it is to get out there.

LA is damn near impossible to get on, Riv a little easier since it’s corporate owned there’s a few charity outings there every year ($1,500+ to play). my home course is Rancho Park which holds a special place in my heart. Right now in good shape but with spaced out tee times very tough to get a res. Courses up here worth traveling to play are Rustic, Soule Park, Olivas Links (those are all Ventura county, LA County doesn’t have any plus plublics unfortunately.) you already mentioned Goose, IH, and LS which are good plays. Once it opens back up Rams Hill is a must play. I’m also a huge fan of Goat Hill in Oceanside (a good, not great course but it’s everything golf should be about). In OC I like Mike Square players (don’t bother with classic, very boring). pelican hill north on a deal is great, south is whatever.

Thanks for the recommendations @mrkich! Will definitely check these courses out. The only course I'd even heard about before was Rustic Canyon, but the rest are all new to me.

Just got the okay from the SO to make a stop-off at one of the Ventura courses when we drive North in a few weeks too :D

I'm always happy to drive up north to LA area (or even further) for golf if you have any good recommendations! I drive up to Central Cali quite often, so would love an excuse to stop off on the way up. I'm always looking for good "value" courses since OC golf is so pricey overall. Some of my OC favorites are Navy GC, Costa Mesa GC (when it's not packed) Industry Hills GC, Black Gold GC, Los Serranos GC, Hidden Valley GC, and Goose Creek GC
Don't leave Oak Quarry off that list. The jewel of the IE.

Oh... and welcome to THP! :D

I'm just over the hill from you.

LA is damn near impossible to get on, Riv a little easier since it’s corporate owned there’s a few charity outings there every year ($1,500+ to play). my home course is Rancho Park which holds a special place in my heart. Right now in good shape but with spaced out tee times very tough to get a res. Courses up here worth traveling to play are Rustic, Soule Park, Olivas Links (those are all Ventura county, LA County doesn’t have any plus plublics unfortunately.) you already mentioned Goose, IH, and LS which are good plays. Once it opens back up Rams Hill is a must play. I’m also a huge fan of Goat Hill in Oceanside (a good, not great course but it’s everything golf should be about). In OC I like Mike Square players (don’t bother with classic, very boring). pelican hill north on a deal is great, south is whatever.
I'm glad to see Goat Hill is still going strong. That was the first course I ever played, and spent a lot of time golfing there in the mid '80s. It was officially named "Center City Golf Course" back then, but we still all referred to it as "Goat Hill". I looked at their site recently, they've definitely improved it over the years - would love to play it again if I get back down that way just for the memories.

I'm glad to see Goat Hill is still going strong. That was the first course I ever played, and spent a lot of time golfing there in the mid '80s. It was officially named "Center City Golf Course" back then, but we still all referred to it as "Goat Hill". I looked at their site recently, they've definitely improved it over the years - would love to play it again if I get back down that way just for the memories.

it’s in as good of shape as it’s ever been as they have poured in effort and money into it over the past few years. The playground was an excellent addition too

Thanks for the recommendations @mrkich! Will definitely check these courses out. The only course I'd even heard about before was Rustic Canyon, but the rest are all new to me.

Just got the okay from the SO to make a stop-off at one of the Ventura courses when we drive North in a few weeks too :D

If you can only play one would pick Rustic or La Purisma (north of Santa Barbara) with a lean toward rustic.

Welcome sir

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!

Don't leave Oak Quarry off that list. The jewel of the IE.

I've heard nothing but good things about Oak Quarry but haven't been able to get over there yet. It's not too much further to start talking Palm Desert either, which opens up dozens of other great courses.

If you can only play one would pick Rustic or La Purisma (north of Santa Barbara) with a lean toward rustic.

Actually I finally got a chance to play La Purisima a few months back, one of the first courses I played when things started opening back up for golf. Lives up to the "difficult" expectations. It was blowing 20-30 mph all day and the back nine was rough - especially the last few holes which play directly back into the wind.

And I'll check out Rustic, thanks again for the recos!

I've heard nothing but good things about Oak Quarry but haven't been able to get over there yet. It's not too much further to start talking Palm Desert either, which opens up dozens of other great courses.
Even closer than Palm Desert is the Temecula area, plenty of good courses over there. Temecula Creek, Redhawk, Cross Creek, Golf Club at Rancho California, Pala Mesa Resort, Legends GC, Menifee Lakes, The Links at Summerly (Lake Elsinore), Diamond Valley (Hemet) - good courses, and most of them reasonably priced (not Muni prices, but not ridiculous either). I've never played Journey at Pechanga, but it's supposedly a very nice (and very challenging!) course - but definitely not cheap.

:welcome:

Even closer than Palm Desert is the Temecula area, plenty of good courses over there. Temecula Creek, Redhawk, Cross Creek, Golf Club at Rancho California, Pala Mesa Resort, Legends GC, Menifee Lakes, The Links at Summerly (Lake Elsinore), Diamond Valley (Hemet) - good courses, and most of them reasonably priced (not Muni prices, but not ridiculous either). I've never played Journey at Pechanga, but it's supposedly a very nice (and very challenging!) course - but definitely not cheap.

Good point! I've only played Temecula Creek and Summerly from this group, so will check out the rest of these too. I don't know if I played Summerly at a bad time, but it was in terrible shape when I played there, and still was decently pricey. Seems like a good layout and location, just hampered by the conditions unfortunately.

Actually I finally got a chance to play La Purisima a few months back, one of the first courses I played when things started opening back up for golf. Lives up to the "difficult" expectations. It was blowing 20-30 mph all day and the back nine was rough - especially the last few holes which play directly back into the wind.

And I'll check out Rustic, thanks again for the recos!

Let me know when you are coming out if you want to possibly meet up, I live 15 minutes from Rustic.

Back