new member seeking advice on new wedge system set up

billygs

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all,

It was here or WRX but I like the look of here more :)

So try to be brief..ish

I have fairly recently started back playing again after 10 years of playing once in a blue moon and not really making much of an effort. Recently feeling that golf bug again and have pretty much changed my whole bag but may have rushed into it and have a couple of issues.
My clubs were at least 5 years old anyway so due a change. I used to play low single figures but although I don't yet have a handicap I play off 8 with friends and guess would be around that and hopefully lower by the time I am playing in medals. Just to give a rough idea.

So anyway I found an almost new set from 4 - PW of Cobra Fly Z pro irons. I wanted to go back to something like blades but more forgiving so these seem a very good choice. And got them for a good price. I really like them so no problems there.

The PW is 46 degrees so I have bought a Cobra Pur 52/8 Gap wedge. At the time I probably would have gone 50 degrees if I could have found one in Amazon. Should have gone to ebay.

I have also bought a Cleveland RTX 3 58/9 2 dot LW. I was on the fence between 6 and 9 bounce and went for 9 to play a bit more easily from fluffy lies. I play golf a lot in Edinburgh and it usually rains at some point :)
Also bought Cleveland 54/14 for pretty much only bunker shots. Most of the courses I play have fairly fluffy sand so figured having this for most shots and the LW for tighter lies needing quick loft.

I could have gone with 3 Pur wedges but fancied the Clevelends for specialty wedges. Looked at lots of reviews and so far feel nice.

So couple of questions.

Should I change the LW to 6 degree bounce or is 9 fine for tight lies on fairway and bunker? I am thinking I would play playing the LW from fairway, semi rough and tight lie bunkers. Deep rough use the 54/14 SW.

So I have the issue of having a 46/52/54/58 set system which most people would say bend the 52 Pur GW to a 50. Can the RAW 304 SS Wedge be bent 2 degrees? If so is there a danger of ruining the club in any way?

What I am thinking though is the 52 GW and 54 SW are for totally different uses and it doesn't matter that they are only 2 degrees apart. I am thinking that the more important yardage gap is 46-52-58. So I guess it's a 3 wedge system with a speciality SW for bunkers. is this logic flawed.
I could have the SW at 56 of course but I think I would get a wider use out of a 54 SW as could include slightly longer bunker and rough shots.

Happy for any criticism. I have done a fair amount of research but obv everyone is different. Just want some feed back on any glaring failures :) Oh and also whether bending my new wedge is dumb ha.

Thanks

Edit: the 54/14 SW can be changed so if it's obv that I should be using a 55 or 56 and lower bounce then please tell me.

Last edited:
Welcome to THP. You made a wise choice regarding which forum to join.

For what you described you will be using each wedge for, I don't think your logic is flawed. I have seen first hand a few times that the stated loft numbers don't always guarantee desired yardage gaps. If you do decide to bend the loft on any of the wedges, just keep in mind that there will be a corresonding degree change to the bounce of the wedge. For instance, if you sent the 52 to 50, it would also decrease the bounce by 2 degrees. Increasing loft would increase the bounce.

Last edited:
Welcome to THP!

For me, I prefer to keep consistent gaps between my wedges, so I'm not a fan of having a 52/54, even if you're thinking they are for different purposes. As that spot and with that loft I wouldn't be thinking about having something so specific that 2 degrees of loft is worth maintaining.

To your other question, as a general rule, more bounce is our friend.

Finally, play whatever makes you happy.

LW - depends on the grind. I would not go to 6 unless you were a real sweeper or you risk digging.

Of course, I'm not familiar with the sole grind on that club or camber.

I typically don't go off bounce numbers but how the club plays. Having said that, generally, I like more bounce - on a slightly fat shot, the bounce will help the club glide into the ball, whereas a lower bounce club may have you dig into the turf. If you take a divot and a deeper divot, you want more bounce to get the club out of the turf. If you are a sweeper, 9 is not too much.

I also look at sole width at a particular loft (wider gives more help in bunker but not in hard turf), whether the leading edge stays close to the turf at address in a neutral setup. I also look for heel, toe and trailing edge relief that effectively reduces the bounce at heel and/or toe and the back of the sole. But I don't know how you set up for the short game or how much versatility you want.

With harder turf, I like plenty of bounce towards the front middle of the club, but still lays low and then the bounce is cut off with trailing edge relief, resulting in a medium width. I am in the middle - neither a digger, nor sweeper. But that's in general what fits my swing. Your swing may be different. Of course, if you make a mistake in the sand with the above, you can dig the leading edge. So in the sand you may want a medium or wider width club that allows the bounce and width to work for you in the event of a mistake.

Don't know if that helps - in sum, see how it plays for you.

As to lofts, you could go 52, 58 if that gives you enough versatility. Typically, a 52 does not have sufficient bounce or sole width to help you in the sand. I'd probably have a gap wedge at 50, then a 54 with bounce/width (help) for the sand, and then a 58-60 as a lob wedge with some bounce.

But the first thing I look for when choosing wedges is what I am using them for at a given loft - and then look at characteristic of the grind that fits my swing - steep - generally needs more bounce, shallow - less bounce. But those are generalities.

For example, my gamer sand wedge is 55-11 but has some camber, small amount of heel and toe relief and slight trailing edge relief. The 59-12 is similar but I do play in firm dry conditions most of the time, and these are versatile given decent turf. I take a small divot. For indecent turf, hardly much turf, I might play these in the middle of my stance instead of forward.

Last edited:
Welcome

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions guys. Definitely food for thought...more thought :/

I think what I will do is stick with the 54/14 FG and the 58/9 and see how I get on with having a 52/8 GW and the 54/14 SW and if I feel a need a yardage gap from GW to SW then I can get the blow torch and make it a 50. If possible with a non forged SW idk. Will ask the club maker. It will then mean I have 46-50-54-58 which sounds all fine and dandy for gaps but actually there will be an 8 degree gap between clubs I use that are not hit from the sand. Saying that maybe I find having the extra 2 degree strength in GW allows me to hit more shots with my new Cobra Pur :)

Sheesh I can't believe it so complicated or maybe I am over complicating it in my head! Like I probably do with my swing....

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions guys. Definitely food for thought...more thought :/

I think what I will do is stick with the 54/14 FG and the 58/9 and see how I get on with having a 52/8 GW and the 54/14 SW and if I feel a need a yardage gap from GW to SW then I can get the blow torch and make it a 50. If possible with a non forged SW idk. Will ask the club maker. It will then mean I have 46-50-54-58 which sounds all fine and dandy for gaps but actually there will be an 8 degree gap between clubs I use that are not hit from the sand. Saying that maybe I find having the extra 2 degree strength in GW allows me to hit more shots with my new Cobra Pur :)

Sheesh I can't believe it so complicated or maybe I am over complicating it in my head! Like I probably do with my swing....

I found wedges and hybrids the most difficult fit to find in clubs. Good luck.

Back