New Mizuno JPX Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
If you followed along in the Mizuno Live Chat with Chris Voshall on the THP Forum last week you heard him drop some hints about a new line of irons coming later this year possibly. Based on timeline, that would mean time for the next set of JPX irons.

While I won't comment personally on any pre-release stuff, my question to THPers is what would you like to see in this line?

I like a lot of the JPX 919 features; namely the forged construction and minimal offset. But I’d also prefer them with a more sleek top line and maybe a little less chunky looking back. Oh, and of course in left hand options please.

Honestly, not sure. I thought their last JPX line was very complete, especially once the HMP came out. Maybe whatever they can do to add even more forgiveness to the Hot Metal.

Long time fan of the JPX line of irons. The only thing that I would like to see is dropping the boron out of the Forged model. The feel of that particular model just isn't there like it used to be with the older JPX Pro models due to the boron inclusion.

Jeeze, that's a tough one. I haven't been able to hit them personally, however they seem pretty complete based on the review threads.

• Admin
I thought for sure we would have "make them copper" ideas :D

Hollow body irons intrique me, so maybe a JPX version of the HMBs?

continue to make the JPX line look "player-esque" with forgiving face utilizing speed slot added bonus - thinner (not butter knife) top lines and push the limits with technology allowing added distance. I think an improvement that made 919 so much of a success was the easily launched long irons and I like the staggered look for more forgiveness size in long irons and smaller heads in low irons featured in the Hot Metal line up.

here ya go @Vosh68
Copper on one side and blue on the other.
You can frame this masterpiece which is neither the right color copper or the right color blue.

Untitled-4.jpg

consitency in naming would be nice. Their JPX line is almost on the PING train. JPX800 JPX850, JPX900, JPX919

My JPX 900 Forged are pretty damn good already. How about some sort of fee maintenance/service component - free grips or lie/loft adjustments annually. That's probably something more on the retail side but just trying to think of something that might sway me.

Oh man, this is a hard one to give a thought to. Probably like what @OldeDude said. Essentially a Mizuno variant on the Forged tec. Looks like an HMB plays like a HM.
Id' have to be nit picking to find very many issues. Maybe the brushed look thru the full iron on the HM's instead of the brushed/chrome mixture.

consitency in naming would be nice. Their JPX line is almost on the PING train. JPX800 JPX850, JPX900, JPX919

Do you think that because 919 came out in 9 of 19, we will see that very thing?

You know you made a good product when I am trying to come up with ideas to improve it and I'm like...

I would love a slight return to the 900 tour. With a zero offset iron and a slightly better shaped lower end of the bag.

I am thinking JPX920..

see that's where it is confusing to anyone who follows that. They were announced in 8/18, and hit retail on 9/10/18. If they called these the JPX20's I'd be fine, just call the ones in two years the JPX22. But 800-850-900-919 is strange. Just reminds me of i10-i15-i20-i25-ie1.

Few things:

Line up simplification or more separation of models especially looking across to MP. Tour, Forged, HM Pro, Hm, and the flihi is a lot of stuff. I understand the purpose of each but that is a full lineup. But a lot of duplicity.

Feel:
JPX always lags MP in feel.

Blending:
MP does a great job of blending. JPX doesn't.

Offset:
JPX tour has a lot of offset for the category. Long blade length and wider sole is fine compared to MP, but it has more than MMC seemingly

Shaping of short irons:
Stick with a square toe or have curves going into the longer irons.

Mizuno is probably the one brand that I just want to see more of the same. The JPX forged line has been fire for a few releases.

919 HMPs have been soooo good for me and the idea of Mizuno being able to improve on this is crazy!

Current JPX line is fantastic, but an update very likely includes my next irons. I'm wildly excited.

Across the line, add the copper underlay tech from MP-20 for a little softer feel. They typically add other new tech to JPX releases. What that might be is beyond me.

Tour: Minor refinements. How much can they change a MB blade?
Forged: Shorter length and a little less topline. It's a litlle porky.
HM: IDK
HMP: make this a hollow iron parallel to HMB. This would better differentiate with forged.

Back