vdubtx

MC Team Paradise 2020
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Wife and I were originally going to go to the Florida keys for our anniversary at the end of February. We decided instead to go to New Orleans instead. We've never been there before.

We are both foodies, so, looking for some suggestions of some must go places. Anything off the beaten path to definitely check out?

Hey! Where are you guys staying? I’ll definitely be able to give you some options. Looking for original New Orleans Cuisine? Is a cost a factor?

It’s been many moons since I was in NOLA. I’ll leave it to others to give you better advice. But I can tell you you are going to have a great time.

Hey! Where are you guys staying? I’ll definitely be able to give you some options. Looking for original New Orleans Cuisine? Is a cost a factor?
Staying at Hotel Pontchartrain on St Charles.

Only place I know that we are definitely going based on recommendation by wife's boss is Galatoires.

Don't mind spending for a good meal/experience. (y)

My wife and I went a little over a year ago and had such a great time that we still talk about it and want to go back soon. Cafe Du Monde is a must just for the experience (it's cash only btw). We went to the NOLA restaurant (http://www.emerilsrestaurants.com/nola-restaurant )and had a fantastic time. The cocktails were great and the food was lovely. We also did a distillery tour at Seven Three Distillery. They have a groupon (https://www.groupon.com/deals/seven-three-distilling-company-1 ) where you can take the tour of their distillery, learn a little bit about the local culture and neighborhoods and you get to take home a bottle of their vodka. I highly recommend that, especially for the price. Obviously others in this thread that are more local can give better suggestions. I know you'll have a wonderful time.

Wife and I were originally going to go to the Florida keys for our anniversary at the end of February. We decided instead to go to New Orleans instead. We've never been there before.

We are both foodies, so, looking for some suggestions of some must go places. Anything off the beaten path to definitely check out?

paging @j_sizzle9 he needs some help.

My wife and I went a little over a year ago and had such a great time that we still talk about it and want to go back soon. Cafe Du Monde is a must just for the experience (it's cash only btw). We went to the NOLA restaurant (http://www.emerilsrestaurants.com/nola-restaurant )and had a fantastic time. The cocktails were great and the food was lovely. We also did a distillery tour at Seven Three Distillery. They have a groupon (https://www.groupon.com/deals/seven-three-distilling-company-1 ) where you can take the tour of their distillery, learn a little bit about the local culture and neighborhoods and you get to take home a bottle of their vodka. I highly recommend that, especially for the price. Obviously others in this thread that are more local can give better suggestions. I know you'll have a wonderful time.
Cafe Du Monde is a definite as well. Got some other tips aswell about not waiting in line and just going and sitting at a table to order. And other tips about not inhaling or exhaling when taking a bite :LOL::LOL:

If you are staying at Pontchatrain Hotel you are in a good spot. Great restaurant in the hotel, Jack Rose. Also they have a really cool rooftop bar.

You arent too far from Mr. John’s steakhouse which is a great spot. I also like Mr. B’s Bistro in the French Quarter a lot.

If you are staying at Pontchatrain Hotel you are in a good spot. Great restaurant in the hotel, Jack Rose. Also they have a really cool rooftop bar.

You arent too far from Mr. John’s steakhouse which is a great spot. I also like Mr. B’s Bistro in the French Quarter a lot.
Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions. (y)

Congrats on the anniversary. How many years?

Congrats on the anniversary. How many years?
Thank you. Married on Feb 29 so we will have been married for 7 leap years this trip. :ROFLMAO:

If your a drinker then The Avenue Pub is a great 24 hour spot with a great whiskey menu. Highly recommend the D-day museum as well. Ride the streetcar. You can catch it in front of your hotel.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Will you be in town around the 25th? That is Mardi Gras day. It's a totally different place then.

Will you be in town around the 25th? That is Mardi Gras day. It's a totally different place then.

Will be in that weekend after. (y)

Will be in that weekend after. (y)
You'll be fine then. It's a pain getting around the city during Mardi Gras. Delmonico's is another really good place to eat just down St. Charles.

Don't forget the Acme Oyster Bar in the French Quarter. I was going to suggest the Star Steak and Lobster House on Decatur, but I just checked and they are out of business. Unfortunate, because they were very good. Have a Sazerac at the Old Absinthe House just because.

We're headed in a couple of weeks for management's birthday/Valentine's Day. We're eating at Shaya and maybe Clancy's. For the remaining meals, we'll fill in with Muriel's, Commander's Palace, Cochon or Jack Rose for brunch/lunch, Domenica for pizza or a snack, Felix's or Casamento's for oysters, Domilise's or Parkway for po-boys and try to work in Willie Mae's Scotch House, depending on where we are. There is never enough time in a long weekend to eat everywhere you think about in New Orleans.

Last edited:
We're headed in a couple of week's for management's birthday/Valentine's Day. We're eating at Shaya and maybe Clancy's. For the remaining meals, we'll fill in with Muriel's, Commander's Palace, Cochon or Jack Rose for brunch/lunch, Domenica for pizza or a snack, Felix's or Casamento's for oysters, Domilise's or Parkway for po-boys and try to work in Willie Mae's Scotch House, dependning on where we are. There is never enough time in a long weekend to eat everywhere you think about in New Orleans.

All of those places you mention are amazing! Once othe great things about living in New Orleans is there are literally great restaurants on almost every corner!

I am also a huge fan of Pascal's Manale!!

I am also a huge fan of Pascal's Manale!!
I haven’t been in years but it used to be one of very best raw bars in town. Is it still?

Leap year! That’s awesomely unique. Makes it hard to forget you’re official anniversary. Do you celebrate annually on the 28th or the 1st? Or do you stick to the leap year?

28 years! Congrats, that is awesome

Leap year! That’s awesomely unique. Makes it hard to forget you’re official anniversary. Do you celebrate annually on the 28th or the 1st? Or do you stick to the leap year?

28 years! Congrats, that is awesome
Thank you. We usually celebrate on 28th each non leap year. (y)

This is on my destination list in the next few years, I'll be watching what people have to say, so many good choices from what I hear.

Staying at Hotel Pontchartrain on St Charles.

Only place I know that we are definitely going based on recommendation by wife's boss is Galatoires.

Don't mind spending for a good meal/experience. (y)

We were in New Orleans this weekend.

First dinner was at Jack Rose. Incredibly good. The decor is very eclectic which gives the room a wonderfully groovy vibe. The food and service was amazing. The Royal red shrimp muddy waters was a great appetizer. The short rib is sous vide before being finished with some jus. It is damned fine. My wife had the pompano. It was cooked perfectly.

We also ate at Saba. Alon Shaya is the chef and is immensely talented. It’s in the top 2-3 meals I’ve had. It’s a small plate menu. The tabouleh was so fresh and flavorful and worth the second order. The pickled vegetables were so good we had 3 orders. The blue crab hummus was exceptional. The lamb, steak, shrimp and grouper shishlik were perfect. We had the babka king cake for dessert. F’n phenomenal. It’s not a traditional king cake. It’s cinnamon-pomegranate flavored with salted caramel and cinnamon streusel and cake with some lemon ricotta ice cream. Unreal.

La Petite Grocery is fantastic for brunch.

Y’all have fun!

Roof top bar at the hotel, great view with cocktails tonight and the weather was awesome today. :cool:

We're headed in a couple of weeks for management's birthday/Valentine's Day. We're eating at Shaya and maybe Clancy's. For the remaining meals, we'll fill in with Muriel's, Commander's Palace, Cochon or Jack Rose for brunch/lunch, Domenica for pizza or a snack, Felix's or Casamento's for oysters, Domilise's or Parkway for po-boys and try to work in Willie Mae's Scotch House, depending on where we are. There is never enough time in a long weekend to eat everywhere you think about in New Orleans.
Solid suggestion on Parkway for Po'Boys. Stopped for lunch when we drove in and it was awesome. (y)

Think we are doing Galatoires after we hit up the WW2 museum in the morning. Likely do Jack Rose or Mr Johns Steakhouse for dinner.

Thanks again all for the suggestions. :cool:

Roof top bar at the hotel, great view with cocktails tonight and the weather was awesome today. :cool:

Solid suggestion on Parkway for Po'Boys. Stopped for lunch when we drove in and it was awesome. (y)

Think we are doing Galatoires after we hit up the WW2 museum in the morning. Likely do Jack Rose or Mr Johns Steakhouse for dinner.

Thanks again all for the suggestions. :cool:
Enjoy the city truly one of a kind experience!

Back