NEWS New Putter Shaft for Bryson DeChambeau

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Not often a putter shaft change on tour is news, but with the mad scientist still using an older one, this scoop struck me as fun. It's still in the testing phase, but that is taking place right now on the putting green.

.580 tip putter
Non-Taper

Very interesting. I think DeChambeau may now garner more respect/interest from fans now that he is leading the Tour in driving distance. I’ve never tinkered with putter shafts but am starting down that rabbit hole after ordering two KBS CT Tour putter shafts yesterday. LA Golf and BGT putter shafts on on my watch list.

Is he just trying to take any attempt at flex and such out of the putter shaft, so in his mind it's one less variable that could influence the stroke?

I think for someone like Tiger, if he puts something in the bag people pay attention and are instantly interested regardless of how he performs.

But for most everyone else, I think success is the only way the needle gets moved. Bryson fiddles with his putting so much, whether it's going to arm lock, or flip-flopping among several different heads, or even the putting style itself. If his putting stats improve dramatically, and/or he starts to win, I think this will be great.

Interesting to say the least since he's the mad scientist. Wonder if it will make a noticeable difference. His putting has been decent, his chipping has been awful..

I must say, these putter shafts have really started to catch my attention. To see Bryson with a new proto and Rickie with a version in his backup putter, makes them very interesting.

I think the trend with many putter manufacturers have been to move to stiffer putter shafts. I believe this was the premise of the Stroke Lab Concept as well. Putter shafts is one area I have not payed any attention too, and admittingly I am ignorant to even my own putter shafts. I know my Lab putter has some fancy shaft in it, but don't know much about it other than it feels good.

Not often a putter shaft change on tour is news, but with the mad scientist still using an older one, this scoop struck me as fun. It's still in the testing phase, but that is taking place right now on the putting green.

.580 tip putter
Non-Taper

.580 tip???? Wow. Custom putter then too I take it?

It's funny how little this surprises me.

Endless tinker town. He should probably join THP.
This made me laugh. What if there are tour pros either lurking or using an ambiguous user name.. That would be crazy

He must have found something about it that takes a variable out of play for him.

I really want to try that 180 gram putter shaft.

Side note, I find it interesting that he is part owner of the company. Something that I just found out.

I think the trend with many putter manufacturers have been to move to stiffer putter shafts. I believe this was the premise of the Stroke Lab Concept as well. Putter shafts is one area I have not payed any attention too, and admittingly I am ignorant to even my own putter shafts. I know my Lab putter has some fancy shaft in it, but don't know much about it other than it feels good.

The stroke lab is different. Much less about flex and torque and more so about weight distribution and balance. I don't think there is a single bit of info from odyssey in regards to flex with regards to the stroke lab shaft.

The stroke lab is different. Much less about flex and torque and more so about weight distribution and balance. I don't think there is a single bit of info from odyssey in regards to flex with regards to the stroke lab shaft.
From a Club Champion Newsletter and Oddysey Website:
"The Stroke Lab shaft is a full 40 grams lighter than a standard Odyssey steel putter shaft. ... It is slightly stiffer and lower torque compared to standard putter shafts to better control a slightly heavier head. Odyssey studies indicate the effect of the updated weight distribution on the stroke is dramatic"

From a Club Champion Newsletter:
"The Stroke Lab shaft is a full 40 grams lighter than a standard Odyssey steel putter shaft. ... It is slightly stiffer and lower torque compared to standard putter shafts to better control a slightly heavier head. Odyssey studies indicate the effect of the updated weight distribution on the stroke is dramatic"

That is from Club Champion. Not from Odyssey. it may measure stiffer, I don't really know. But that is not the marketing or purpose defined by the company as far as I can tell.

This guy was made for THP! Can we get him a free Albatros membership, please!

I think for someone like Tiger, if he puts something in the bag people pay attention and are instantly interested regardless of how he performs.

But for most everyone else, I think success is the only way the needle gets moved. Bryson fiddles with his putting so much, whether it's going to arm lock, or flip-flopping among several different heads, or even the putting style itself. If his putting stats improve dramatically, and/or he starts to win, I think this will be great.
That could be. Although you could make the case that without him, One Length doesn’t exist.

That is from Club Champion. Not from Odyssey. it may measure stiffer, I don't really know. But that is not the marketing or purpose defined by the company as far as I can tell.

That's how the reps presented it when it first came out (I sat in on the meeting with the reps and our head pro last year). With putter head weight increasing, especially with long arm lock putters like Brysons this does make sense accross the board.

That could be. Although you could make the case that without him, One Length doesn’t exist.

would it exist and be as successful as it has been if he tried it, then moved on somewhat quickly? I guess that's my concern with him, specifically his putting tinkering.

That's how the reps presented it when it first came out (I sat in on the meeting with the reps and our head pro last year)

As have I multiple times. Not once by was stiffness mentioned as a feature or benefit. Weight has always been the prime story.

but back on the topic at hand. These LAGolf shafts have peaked my interest. I am not sure I am really to shell out for one though.

As have I multiple times. Not once by was stiffness mentioned as a feature or benefit. Weight has always been the prime story.
Weight was definitely a key point as well. The increased torque for the heavier heads is what stood out to me and made the most sense in the innovation to me.

Weight was definitely a key point as well. The increased torque for the heavier heads is what stood out to me and made the most sense in the innovation to me.

absolutely. It makes sense.

Is he just trying to take any attempt at flex and such out of the putter shaft, so in his mind it's one less variable that could influence the stroke?
This was my thoughts as well.

At what point does he just straight up use a piece of rebar for the putter shaft?

Here are the exclusive first look pics. 47775123-6526-4476-8E70-B93DC1AD5E7A.jpeg4F85E6C3-3EC7-4A41-94DD-B511BFD480BA.jpeg

Bryson using it

3B050E33-6B7B-4718-A02E-FF03EBDF2E99.jpeg

Back