New Putters & Short Term Improvement

DataDude

I Hate LIV
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone else find that a new putter almost always leads to short term improvement and then the bad putting returns in the long run? Is this why we all have multiple putters?

100%. ive bought so many new putters that would be my "go to, long term solution" that then get sold in 2 months lol

my first 2 rounds with the TM spider FCG resulted in 26 and 29 putts.... The next 2 rounds were 34 and 38. Yes I was that bad. But to be fair the 38 putts was on a freshly aerated green

Honeymoon period exists.. I am trying really hard to stick with and play with only one putter. I played the same putter for like 5 years. Then have had a bunch over the past couple years..

going to commit this year....Maybe...

Does anyone else find that a new putter almost always leads to short term improvement and then the bad putting returns in the long run? Is this why we all have multiple putters?
So....not playing your new one until Oct. to take advantage of the short term improvement? 😉😎

A putter usually either works for me or it doesn't, so I normally know right away. I'm more likely to keep one that isn't working in the bag too long, hoping I'll get used to it, than to have one go south on me after a good start.

So....not playing your new one until Oct. to take advantage of the short term improvement? 😉😎

That's what I'm thinking. Switch to new putter Oct 7th (y):LOL:

I can count on one hand how many putters I have owned, (pre Grandaddy) I usually keep them long term. Although since the Grandaddy I have had 3 more but have settled in nicely with the Las Vegas for the season.

I believe in the honeymoon period.

I also think people perform better at different distances with different model putters. My son was automatic with a Spider Tour from around 8 feet and in, but couldn’t make quality distance/lag putts with it. So overall he still had a lot of 3 putts in tournaments. We tested numerous styles over extended periods of time on courses and he ended up going with a blade putter (Newport 2). He is not putting as well from shorter distances, but he’s so much better with distance/lag putts that he typically has no 3 putts.

Back