New PXG 0211 Iron Set

-CRW-

Reaction score
https://www.pxg.com/en-us/clubs/irons/0211

Designed to be an "affordable"/entry level option with PXG. $195 a club with TT Elevate shafts as a "stock" shaft option. Other shafts available as an upcharge with most being $25-40 per shaft (model dependent).

It's a progressive set, cast heads, and no signature screws on the back. They also still utilize the COR2 material and thin face design of the 0311 Gen 2 clubs.

pxg-0211-irons-back.jpg

I like the looks of them, but still too expensive for my taste.

Yeah I'm not sure they can be considered "affordable" at $1600-2000 for an 8 piece set. When most other make/model iron sets are closer to $1200 for an 8 piece set.

I think it would be a better price if they could have worked in typical "upcharge" shafts for the same price. That could make them cheaper than other options if you preferred certain make/model shafts.

They're kind of grabbing at all the straws they can at this point... however, they make amazing hybrids. One of the few I have ever been able to work and are neutral at the address. I always find that hybrids tend to be left biased.

5-P for 1,300 is rough for an 'affordable' option but I'd say the horse is dead on that one.

My biggest curiosity will be on the sound quality between their forged offerings and the cast profile. Not that I think a cast club cannot sound good, but that PXG has a pretty distinct sound quality.

I actually don't think the price is all that crazy.

For these if I went 6-AW with the stock graphite and grip it is 1260
For Apex Combo, 6-AW, with Catalyst shafts and stock grip its 1125
For TM p760 6-AW, Recoil 780 with stock grip its 1200

I agree the price is back down to earth by PXG standards, it's just funny when they use the term 'affordable' which makes them seem out of touch.

They're kind of grabbing at all the straws they can at this point... however, they make amazing hybrids. One of the few I have ever been able to work and are neutral at the address. I always find that hybrids tend to be left biased.

I'm not sure if they are grabbing at straws in a bad way or a good way though. Specifically, are they hurting and trying to sell more by attempting to broaden their consumer base or are they doing well and just want to do better by grabbing more market share if possible.

I've never tried their hybrids, primarily because I have no issue hitting a 3 iron 220+ (mostly) without issue and hook hybrids off the planet. It's interesting that you say the PXG's aren't that way when their woods are set up to be draw biased. Their adapters are the opposite of most others and are pretty much a copy of Pings. The standard settings are upright and the "PXG" side of the settings are flat settings (which brings them in line with the standard for most other OEM's wood lie angles). And it absolutely makes a difference for me, even though many say lie angle on a driver doesn't matter. I struggled to do anything but hook my PXG in the stock setting and couldn't fade to save my life. On the flat/PXG setting I can actually hit a fade fairly easily.

5-P for 1,300 is rough for an 'affordable' option but I'd say the horse is dead on that one.

My biggest curiosity will be on the sound quality between their forged offerings and the cast profile. Not that I think a cast club cannot sound good, but that PXG has a pretty distinct sound quality.

Yeah, I think they missed the mark on being affordable by a few hundred bucks. They list on the site "Excellent sound & feel", but don't elaborate on why/how. I know it's subjective, but it will be interesting to see if they have that worked out. Especially since it's their first run at a cast design.

They also dropped the screws, which I'm not sure is good or bad. I understand the screws can be used to adjust swing weight, but they are a pain too keep clean and I could do without them. I actually like the clean look of the Ping I500 much better.

I agree the price is back down to earth by PXG standards, it's just funny when they use the term 'affordable' which makes them seem out of touch.

To be fair, I think I came up with the term "affordable" or read it elsewhere. They actually have the following written on their website:

...at a price, starting at $195 per club, you wouldn't expect from PXG.

If they play and sound/feel as advertised I think they did a lot right. The progressive design, to include all the way through a set lob wedge, seems like a great set for the majority of golfers. I think they look better than the original designs, mostly because I'm not too keen on the screws on the irons.

lets face it, there isn't much in this game that is affordable nowadays.

Was walking through Dick's the other night and a guy was holding an Epic Flash, did the normal, setup, check it up and down, then saw the price and laughed. Did the same to the M5 that was on the shelf next to it and then said out loud "this is ridiculous!"

To be fair, I think I came up with the term "affordable" or read it elsewhere. They actually have the following written on their website:

oh, hahaha! I thought it was their wording.

The way they said it actually fits the bill quite well.

I like the looks of these more than their other offerings as the screws do nothing for me. Affordable is relative, but they are in line with other OEM's. I see this as a good move for them and a way to capture more market share.

Nice looking iron. Their logo is still a bit bold for my palate.

I like the looks of these more than their other offerings as the screws do nothing for me. Affordable is relative, but they are in line with other OEM's. I see this as a good move for them and a way to capture more market share.

I wonder if we ever see these in a store front. If not, I'm not sure who many people will entertain the idea. I would think that this model would see similar sales to the current Ben Hogan lines. Maybe the PXG name and looks will generate more sales for them. They do a lot that the Hogan lines do (CG/forgiveness, progressive, etc.), but I definitely think the PXG's look better. However, the Hogan's are around half the price.

Arent the Apex and p760 forged, and these are cast? To me that means these are still priced higher than most cast offerings.

Arent the Apex and p760 forged, and these are cast? To me that means these are still priced higher than most cast offerings.

cast vs forged means nothing to me in terms of price, because if we want we can all the way up to Titleist C16 irons for a higher price. Just my thoughts though. I think forged has morphed into one of those big marketing buzzwords nowadays.

I wouldn't kick these irons out of bed for eating cookies, but I am not busting out my credit card to order them either.

cast vs forged means nothing to me in terms of price, because if we want we can all the way up to Titleist C16 irons for a higher price. Just my thoughts though. I think forged has morphed into one of those big marketing buzzwords nowadays.

I love the sound of forged irons, but I cannot say I see a difference in performance. Then again my game isn't good either.

That is a great looking iron. PXG is definitely improving their aesthetics in their gen 2 products.

https://www.pxg.com/en-us/clubs/irons/0211

Designed to be an "affordable"/entry level option with PXG. $195 a club with TT Elevate shafts as a "stock" shaft option. Other shafts available as an upcharge with most being $25-40 per shaft (model dependent).

It's a progressive set, cast heads, and no signature screws on the back. They also still utilize the COR2 material and thin face design of the 0311 Gen 2 clubs.

pxg-0211-irons-back.jpg

Looks somewhat familiar

1044998-2-1-7-0-0-0-0-0-13.jpg

Looks somewhat familiar

A little, but I like the Pings better in this instance - which is not typical for me.

I see a little of these (though in a friendlier design):

mizun.jpg

And if you go way back, some of these as well:

Hogan-Apex-Channel-Back-3-E-Golf-Irons-_1.jpg

Looks somewhat familiar

1044998-2-1-7-0-0-0-0-0-13.jpg

hollow body vs hollow body. One representing cast, one stamped forged. Nearly identical in price.

No doubt it's a very common head shape. This would be a really fun comparison to make.

$195 is still too expensive for my wallet. Maybe when someone sells a set on e-bay in a few years for $300.

Back