New PXG 0211 Iron Set

Better ball striking today 41/40 with a double due to losing a ball in the high rough just off the fairway. The wedges were better today, just need more time to adjust to the shafts. I am not convinced he needed to hard step these at all, but when I hit them well it is very good but I am testing the whole face it seems on a lot of shots.

I am very impressed with the launch and holding power even at 2 degs. strong on the lofts. When I did hit a green it was drop and stop, but quite a few missed greens and no consistent miss yet, some long some short and some left (but none right so far). I am trying vey hard to not come over the top so a minor swing change in progress which is in my head on all shots.

Still waiting. My set (and Gen 2 hybrids) seem stuck in picking/assembly stage. After seeing some of your posts, my first test will be how the bounce works with my sweeper swing (my miss is thin and/or toed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan on ordering 4-PW of the 0211's in the next few days, and I'm thinking I want to bend them 2 degrees weaker. I'm not looking for more distance, but I would definitely like to have consistent coverage at various yardages. And since I'm playing [and keeping] specialty wedges (gw, sw, lw) anyway, adding +2 degrees seems to create more consistent loft intervals.

Club
Current
0211+2
21​
24​
21.5​
23.5​
27​
24​
26​
30​
27​
29​
33​
31​
33​
37​
35​
37​
41​
40​
42​
P
45​
45​
47​
G
52*
52*
52*
S
56*
56*
56*
L
60*
60*
60*
* Vokey wedges (I'm keeping)

I'm curious though. Has anyone bent their 0211 weaker (+1 or +2)? I know that adds bounce, but I'm curious if it diminishes the feel or anything.

Let me know how that works out. I think the bounce on the 0211 is pretty high. Bending the lofts weaker will add bounce (at 1:1 degree correlation).

Better ball striking today 41/40 with a double due to losing a ball in the high rough just off the fairway. The wedges were better today, just need more time to adjust to the shafts. I am not convinced he needed to hard step these at all, but when I hit them well it is very good but I am testing the whole face it seems on a lot of shots.

I am very impressed with the launch and holding power even at 2 degs. strong on the lofts. When I did hit a green it was drop and stop, but quite a few missed greens and no consistent miss yet, some long some short and some left (but none right so far). I am trying vey hard to not come over the top so a minor swing change in progress which is in my head on all shots.

Jim54: did you hit the 0211 with standard loft/bounce? I'm wondering how the stronger loft (with less bounce) works in comparison.

I have a friend who has these irons and absolutely loves them

Jim54: did you hit the 0211 with standard loft/bounce? I'm wondering how the stronger loft (with less bounce) works in comparison.

Yes I hit standard loft but 2 degrees up and enjoyed them at the fitting and hit them very high and the spin was quite high. So we ordered 2 degs. Strong to get a bit more distance and bring the overall height down.

I brought my son's set home yesterday and he got his first 9 in. He shot a 41 and the irons were longer, straighter, and started closer to online than his previous set (Apex CF 19's with Elevate 95 Stiff vs. 0211's w/Elevate Tour Stiff). He said the heads essentially feel and perform the same for him, but the shaft is allowing him to feel the swing better - resulting in an improvement in his ball flight.

His 41 included 1 penalty from a risk/reward shot to an island green where the pin was near the water. Wind was pushing it too so it had nothing to do with the clubs. I almost found the same water and really aimed to the opposite side of the green. He also had two 3 putts because he hit long or short trying to learn his new distances and didn't make good enough first putts.

Attachments

• 062BE654-096A-4013-98A2-DE4CD59C394A.jpeg
    062BE654-096A-4013-98A2-DE4CD59C394A.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 23
Played yesterday at a course that has great bermuda fairways & greens. The ball sat up so nice and had a good smooth swing. Love these irons. High, straight and at least half to full club further than the Ping G700 irons & a great, solid whack impact sound.

Looking forward to Thursday & Friday rounds.

Had my very best ball striking day today with my 0211s. 13 GIR with 3 on the fringe. The other two from the trees with no expectation of hitting the green. They felt absolutely unbelievable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think I would call these a sleeper set compared to what else is out there but with the PXG stigma (love /hate the brand or owner) and I am one of those that hate the look of the screws in the irons they are a fantastic buy at the price. No screws so they look great imo, plus the performance that everyone seems to be seeing I would urge anyone that is interested in hollow body tech to try and get a fitting.

I brought my son's set home yesterday and he got his first 9 in. He shot a 41 and the irons were longer, straighter, and started closer to online than his previous set (Apex CF 19's with Elevate 95 Stiff vs. 0211's w/Elevate Tour Stiff). He said the heads essentially feel and perform the same for him, but the shaft is allowing him to feel the swing better - resulting in an improvement in his ball flight.

His 41 included 1 penalty from a risk/reward shot to an island green where the pin was near the water. Wind was pushing it too so it had nothing to do with the clubs. I almost found the same water and really aimed to the opposite side of the green. He also had two 3 putts because he hit long or short trying to learn his new distances and didn't make good enough first putts.

those look sharp...i wouldn't mind supporting a Marine and giving him my money for these clubs.

I got my set in today!
Hoping to go play this weekend! I want to play hooky from work right now but I can be patient.

I just ordered 5-GW (+2 strong) with Elevate Tour shafts! Assembly is estimated to begin on 10/20/2020. Can't wait to swing them!

I just ordered 5-GW (+2 strong) with Elevate Tour shafts! Assembly is estimated to begin on 10/20/2020. Can't wait to swing them!

Bet you’ll get them prior to that. I ordered 0311 SGI irons and they quoted me about 3 weeks to build plus shipping time and I had them in hand in about 14 days from my order date.

I am backtracking a bit and talking with my rep about the set wedges, they are just not working out. I like the heads but hate the MMT 80 shafts in them. Not sure what we are going to do just yet, I might just send them back and get the gen 3 0311T and forged wedges. We will see if reshafting is a better option, I could see the Elevate 95 in the irons and Elevate tour in the wedges.

The Elevate was the fitters 1st choice for me but I wanted Graphite and figured why not try the MMT, but frankly I am not as happy with them as the Paderson's in my Honma's just a totally different feel and I think Hard stepping them changed them enough from the fitting to be quite noticable there is zero feel in them as they are which I don't mind if they are delivering what I want, which so far in 5 rounds is so so.

Bet you’ll get them prior to that. I ordered 0311 SGI irons and they quoted me about 3 weeks to build plus shipping time and I had them in hand in about 14 days from my order date.
🤞🤞

I am really impressed with the PXG CS, just spoke to the area rep and I am going to meet with the fitter again on Sat. morning to see what is up and if indeed it is the shafts or just me. No problem if I want to change out the shafts or the complete set, I really like the offer to see the fitter again and make sure what the issue is.
Most of it is me and my swing of course, but I don't like to fight the clubs and should not have to if things are correct, I have put up a couple of pretty good rounds and 3 awful rounds with just totally off the wall things happening with different clubs.I would just blame the swing but the Driver is on point and when I really, really concrentrate I can hit them OK and few "oh yeah" shots but not enough to not check things out.

But in all the rounds the set wedges have been a battle, anyone that has played with me knows I may miss a lot of greens but getting up and down is my strength mostly due to very good short wedge play. I have never chunked and skulled so many shots around the greens as the last week, clearly the set wedges with the MMT80 shafts just is a bad fit for me.

Into the breach again....

I am really impressed with the PXG CS, just spoke to the area rep and I am going to meet with the fitter again on Sat. morning to see what is up and if indeed it is the shafts or just me. No problem if I want to change out the shafts or the complete set, I really like the offer to see the fitter again and make sure what the issue is.
Most of it is me and my swing of course, but I don't like to fight the clubs and should not have to if things are correct, I have put up a couple of pretty good rounds and 3 awful rounds with just totally off the wall things happening with different clubs.I would just blame the swing but the Driver is on point and when I really, really concrentrate I can hit them OK and few "oh yeah" shots but not enough to not check things out.

But in all the rounds the set wedges have been a battle, anyone that has played with me knows I may miss a lot of greens but getting up and down is my strength mostly due to very good short wedge play. I have never chunked and skulled so many shots around the greens as the last week, clearly the set wedges with the MMT80 shafts just is a bad fit for me.

Glad to hear you’re getting things worked out. I purposely did not order beyond the PW for the very situation you’re dealing with. I hit my gap thru LW quite well, so saw no reason to get those wedges. And I was a bit concerned ,in my case, of putting a 60g shaft in my wedges. My current wedges have DGs.

It took me several weeks to really lock in on the new irons. Of course, I’ve always taken a bit of time to sync in with a new set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is pretty stellar customer service and post-sales support. (y)

Jim, sometimes the spin cycle takes a little more time, but it all comes out in the wash.

I bet the change you made from your fitting to order, wasn't it loft & lie, is the issue.

Jim, sometimes the spin cycle takes a little more time, but it all comes out in the wash.

I bet the change you made from your fitting to order, wasn't it loft & lie, is the issue.
You could be correct, but I went with what the fitter recommended so we will see what he says Sat.

Is the bounce too high for your swing?

Dave

Placed an order in 9/15. Got them in hand yesterday. They are absolutely beautiful clubs IMO. Top line is thicker than Cleveland 588 CBs I was playing but just barely. They look really good at address not clunky looking at all. I’ll get them on the course Saturday for the first swings.

I went with 4-W because I like my Cleveland wedges. Elevate Tour stiff.

You could be correct, but I went with what the fitter recommended so we will see what he says Sat.
Hard step??

Mine finally came yesterday afternoon.... wow, the packaging, LOL!!! A box the size a golf bag would come in, then the PXG "suitcase" inside of that. Each club encased in foam, so yeah, it's hard to complain about the $60 shipping, especially at $89 per club.
I got 5-GW, MMT 70 shafts, 2* strong. I took a chance with the loft adjustment, because I wanted to lower the bounce to better suit the course conditions where I play most of my golf, any extra yardage will be a nice bonus. The clubs are beautiful, they look even better in person, and I love the look at setup.
It was raining here yesterday, but I got these to the range today. First ball was a 9 iron to a flag 125 away. Our range is off the ocean, and I was hitting into what is a prevailing headwind, but it landed softly about ten feet away. I couldn't have hoped for better. I then went through the entire set, and I just love them. Easy to hit, a nice high ball flight. I did the right thing with the bounce, my turf interaction was really good.
We have our Tuesday Members League Championship starting next week. Top 50 money winners get in. First two weeks to determine which 20 players advance to the third week. It's a big deal, you get a trophy to keep, your name gets engraved on the Champions plaque in the Trophy Room, and on the trophy encased in the clubhouse trophy cabinet. Not to mention a personalized parking spot for a year, a PGASS gift card, along with Pro Shop credit. My plan was to stick with my old irons for this event and not play the PXGs until it was over, but now I'm having second thoughts. I'm putting them in the bag for tomorrow, and maybe Saturday's money game. We'll see how that goes...

Back