New Release: Callaway Apex UW

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
The Utility Iron has long been a part of our modern golf vernacular, it’s a club that blends ideas together to make it more playable for a variety of skills. 

But what about a Utility…Wood?

Curious? You and everyone else. 

As the newest release from the minds behind Callaway Golf, this is another specialty club focused on doing things differently, and after months of whispers as well as Tour players like Phil Mickelson having it in the bag, its finally time to discuss this club. 

Say hello to the new Callaway Apex UW.

Callaway-Apex-UW-1.jpeg

What is in a name?

If you haven’t figured it out by now, Callaway will not simply slap the Apex name on just any club. They have shown us time after time that they will even push the entire...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice write up @Jman hopefully it working as something that can hit off that trifecta well will help a lot of golfers advance the ball better in a variety of scenarios.

That’s the biggest gap wedge I’ve ever seen. ;)

What’s the shaft lengths ?

Great write-up @Jman . Boy, with so many options in hybrids, FW and now this it certainly makes a fitting on a launch monitor even more important. Looking forward to seeing some real world performance feedback.

Full ponder engaged….

This is getting a bit wild for me. Mini Drivers to Super Hybrids to a Utility Wood, I'm just not tracking the need for all of these varieties, but hey to each their own. I know you all who have taken the plunge into the super hybrid world love them so...

This is getting a bit wild for me. Mini Drivers to Super Hybrids to a Utility Wood, I'm just not tracking the need for all of these varieties, but hey to each their own. I know you all who have taken the plunge into the super hybrid world love them so...
I absolutely agree but in the other direction. I think so many varieties make this such a great category. Gone are the days of a wood being a wood and a hybrid being a hybrid. Now they are that and so much more, some seemingly designed to give you more off of the tee while others provide a better give off to the deck and yet others interact better with the rough.

I think it's a great time to be looking for new additions to the top of your bag.

I absolutely agree but in the other direction. I think so many varieties make this such a great category. Gone are the days of a wood being a wood and a hybrid being a hybrid. Now they are that and so much more, some seemingly designed to give you more off of the tee while others provide a better give off to the deck and yet others interact better with the rough.

I think it's a great time to be looking for new additions to the top of your bag.
Yea I mean I get the argument that more variety is always better, I'm just speaking personally for me, I'm like uh what?...

18 degree 5 Wood - Low Penatrating Launch, High Velocity Ball Speed, Forgiveness
19 degree Utility Wood - High Launch, Consistent Control, Tighter Dispersion, High Velocity Ball Speeds
18 degree Super Hybrid - High Launch, High MOI, Fast Ball Speed
19 degree 3 Hybrid - High Launch w/Forgiveness, High Velocity Ball Speed

Those are all being branded as DIFFERENT clubs, that doesn't even account for the different types of clubs within each "category".

Last edited:
That's a great article @Jman . The club looks awesome and could solve so many issues. If I wasn't completely set with my bag then this would be getting a serious look.

Yea I mean I get the argument that more variety is always better, I'm just speaking personally for me, I'm like uh what?...

18 degree 5 Wood
19 degree Utility Wood
18 degree Super Hybrid
19 degree 3 Hybrid

Totally get it. I'm overwhelmed by too many options as well and can get paralysis by analysis.

Same thing happens in drivers and irons though not to mention wedges. This area is just now catching up. There are 60 different 7 irons out there and while they all do the same thing they all do it slightly differently. Better for shot shaping, better for launch, better for forgiveness etc.

Totally get it. I'm overwhelmed by too many options as well and can get paralysis by analysis.

Same thing happens in drivers and irons though not to mention wedges. This area is just now catching up. There are 60 different 7 irons out there and while they all do the same thing they all do it slightly differently. Better for shot shaping, better for launch, better for forgiveness etc.
Yea which is fair, but we've had different TYPES of woods and hybrids. I mean callaway had 4 or 5 different woods before this launch. These are being completely marketed as new categories altogether, but I mean truth be told I'm probably not the market. My ball striking wouldn't be consistent enough with any of the 4 I mentioned above to be able to tell the difference in ball flight etc, so...

I have no doubt one of those 4 is perfect for me, but I just don't understand the differences. There's a clear difference between my 5 iron and my 5 wood...

I am a huge fan of new categories and this is going to be a big one long term I have a feeling. For those playing high lofted fairway woods but would prefer the hybrid form factor or the golfer that is looking for a good bridge from 3/4 wood to their irons.

Good article @Jman

782F407D-C21D-4865-A36E-4692C2F98417.jpeg

57B5004B-C4D3-491D-A659-0D432916458A.jpeg

Those look and sound amazing. In reading the article, I was actually expecting, and maybe even wishing, there were more higher lofted options above 21*. Regardless, I would love to take some swings with them!

I am a huge fan of new categories and this is going to be a big one long term I have a feeling. For those playing high lofted fairway woods but would prefer the hybrid form factor or the golfer that is looking for a good bridge from 3/4 wood to their irons.

Good article @Jman

View attachment 9032212

View attachment 9032213
That looks pretty excellent at setup! What loft is that one?

That looks pretty excellent at setup! What loft is that one?

19 degrees.
Thanks to shipping fun, it didn't arrive until late yesterday, so I literally just too the wrapper off.

Surely i wasn't the only one who ready that as Apex UwU. 🤷‍♂️

Options are good, we all swing different and have different needs in different parts of the bag. This is taking two of those options and melding it into one which aims to be the best of all parts, tee, turf, and rough.

19 degrees.
Thanks to shipping fun, it didn't arrive until late yesterday, so I literally just too the wrapper off.
I think that’s going to be the sweet spot in this one for us mortals, but that 17.0 seems to be catching a ton of Tour interest.

I think that’s going to be the sweet spot in this one for us mortals, but that 17.0 seems to be catching a ton of Tour interest.
I think you are probably right. With the 5 and 7 wood growing in popularity again over the last year, this may provide an easier alternative for golfers in that spot.

I bet @vgolfman can share some thoughts, he told me that he absolutely loves this thing.

I think you are probably right. With the 5 and 7 wood growing in popularity again over the last year, this may provide an easier alternative for golfers in that spot.

I bet @vgolfman can share some thoughts, he told me that he absolutely loves this thing.
That first part is why I think its such a well timed release, the 5w and 7w haven’t been this popular for a long long time, but with tech where it is, it can be made easier and more versatile. Certainly seems like Callaway may have done just that.

As a 7 wood user because I wanted that performance over a hybrid. This is very interesting. A 19 degree coupe be very cool. Need to know more about face angle and curve bias.

I am currently looking for a club to fit in the gap between my 3w and 4i, and a 19* would slot in just right. Like that it is designed to be versatile from the tee, rough, and fairway, because I don't like clubs that I can only play if the lie is just right.

Back