New Release: Callaway Apex UW

Some of you guys who are raving about it have so much more club speed than I do. It will be interesting to see if somebody with more modest speed feels similarly.

Some of you guys who are raving about it have so much more club speed than I do. It will be interesting to see if somebody with more modest speed feels similarly.

I still think it will work. You have a solid swing and make solid contact.

I get where you're coming from on that, I said the other day that I'm not entirely sure Callaway even realizes how many people it could fit and how popular it could be. It's good, and easy. And if you caught the Live tonight JB said they had said/thought it was to be kind of niche, but he also thinks it could fit a LOT of people. You'll know pretty soon if you're one that it does, and you definitely have the skills to get what's intended out of it.

I'm really curious to hear your thoughts on it not only for your swing and speed, but how it actually performs at your altitude and conditions too.

Hard pondering throwing some trade bait up to get one just to put it against that part of my bag right now.

I get where you're coming from on that, I said the other day that I'm not entirely sure Callaway even realizes how many people it could fit and how popular it could be. It's good, and easy. And if you caught the Live tonight JB said they had said/thought it was to be kind of niche, but he also thinks it could fit a LOT of people. You'll know pretty soon if you're one that it does, and you definitely have the skills to get what's intended out of it.

I'm really curious to hear your thoughts on it not only for your swing and speed, but how it actually performs at your altitude and conditions too.
It truly must be thought of as niche. We have two of the national golf retail chains here in my area, PGA Superstore and Worldwide Golf. The multiple Worldwide Golf stores here used to be just a local set of stores that were purchased by Worldwide Golf. I was in two different Worldwide Golf stores this week and the sales people didn’t even know about it. Late yesterday afternoon, I dropped by and asked one of them, whom I have known for 30 years and he vaguely knew about it, but wasn’t sure if the store had any in. I wondered back and looked and there they were, stocked in the hybrid section. The club obviously isn’t being promoted.

Hard pondering throwing some trade bait up to get one just to put it against that part of my bag right now.
The club seems like it would be right down your ally, James.

The club seems like it would be right down your ally, James.
I totally agree, I also think it would destroy the top of my bag as far as gaps go :LOL:

I tried one against the SH inside last night. It was more consistent distance wise but not quite as long. Easier to hit for sure. The other thing is that it seems to sit open. I addressed the ball with the face open and it still just went high and straight. Hard ponder

I totally agree, I also think it would destroy the top of my bag as far as gaps go :LOL:
It is always so disappointing for so many of us when we have to acquire new clubs so that other clubs we want to try will work with our setups.

It is always so disappointing for so many of us when we have to acquire new clubs so that other clubs we want to try will work with our setups.
Hahahahaha, just breaks hearts :LOL:

I might trade some old putters and hybrids in to grab one of these, just for testing purposes of course;)

Have we discussed this vs. the Super Hybrid at some point? I'm not fully caught up on all the pages of both of those threads. I run a 3h which I really don't like and want to replace it with either this or a Super Hybrid I think...but I just don't understand the pros/cons of the two of them and how they compare?

Have we discussed this vs. the Super Hybrid at some point? I'm not fully caught up on all the pages of both of those threads. I run a 3h which I really don't like and want to replace it with either this or a Super Hybrid I think...but I just don't understand the pros/cons of the two of them and how they compare?
Different animals. The SH is build for speed and low spin, making filthy distance. This is for versatility, launch from all lies, and overall ease…plus workability.

Different animals. The SH is build for speed and low spin, making filthy distance. This is for versatility, launch from all lies, and overall ease…plus workability.
Hmm the launch from all lies piece is the part there that appeals to me most which is super interesting cause I would've actually expected teh hybrid to be better from more lies than this.

Hmm the launch from all lies piece is the part there that appeals to me most which is super interesting cause I would've actually expected teh hybrid to be better from more lies than this.
I mean, this is as much a hybrid as it is a fairway, that was the reason for the design, get that versatility in something with a lot of the traits of a wood as well.

Agree on all points.

I mean, this is as much a hybrid as it is a fairway, that was the reason for the design, get that versatility in something with a lot of the traits of a wood as well.
And you wouldn't make that same statement for this UW? As in this UW is as much a hybrid as a fairway?

Yea I just don't know what the heck to do here. I have a 5W but I'm just so inconsistent with it, and then I have a 3H that I just almost never use. And I honestly think I could just use one of these to replace both of those. But it definitely needs to be able to be hit from all lies. I'm in the rough more than the fairway.

I don't think the low spin matters, because chances that I have some 200-230 yard approach shot are few. It sounds like the super hybrid would be pretty hard to stop in that situation. That's where I just don't understand enough. Low spin means it should get roll, and be harder to stop but it also has alot high trajectory.

Which one are people having better success with off the tee?

And you wouldn't make that same statement for this UW? As in this UW is as much a hybrid as a fairway?

Yea I just don't know what the heck to do here. I have a 5W but I'm just so inconsistent with it, and then I have a 3H that I just almost never use. And I honestly think I could just use one of these to replace both of those. But it definitely needs to be able to be hit from all lies. I'm in the rough more than the fairway.

I don't think the low spin matters, because chances that I have some 200-230 yard approach shot are few. It sounds like the super hybrid would be pretty hard to stop in that situation. That's where I just don't understand enough. Low spin means it should get roll, and be harder to stop but it also has alot high trajectory.

Huh? I was talking about the UW….

Low spin matters, especially if the person can’t launch it. I have no problem with the SH holding greens as the descent angle is plenty for my swing. That said, this would be easier potentially, and the spin will make it more workable too.

Huh? I was talking about the UW….

Low spin matters, especially if the person can’t launch it. I have no problem with the SH holding greens as the descent angle is plenty for my swing. That said, this would be easier potentially, and the spin will make it more workable too.
Oh I see I see. Sorry I got them switched. So it sounds like this might be easier to hit than the SH which probably puts more points in the bucket for the UW for me. I dig it, thanks for the info.

We are all unique, and sometimes something fits somebody, even though within general parameters, it shouldn’t. That being said, I don’t think that the Super Hybrid would fit very many higher index players unless they have super good club speed and can launch the ball consistently.

This UW is so new, that not many people have put it in play. It will take a little bit before some consensus is developed regarding what range of players it fits. Based upon what I have read, though, I would guess that this club has a better chance of meeting your needs than does the Super Hybrid. That club would not be easy to launch out of the rough, which you identify as one of your needs.

Funny, that's exactly what I have in my bag, Cally 5-wood and 7-'Heavenwood'. I just love that 7-wood.

That first part is why I think its such a well timed release, the 5w and 7w haven’t been this popular for a long long time, but with tech where it is, it can be made easier and more versatile. Certainly seems like Callaway may have done just that.

Funny, that's exactly what I have in my bag, Cally 5-wood and 7-'Heavenwood'. I just love that 7-wood.
You and a lot of other people, it’s a pretty interesting release from that side of things.

Really going to be interesting to see where the UW, the fairway woods, the super hybrid and the 'normal' hybrids end in the bags of the Grandaddy guys. I know this one has me rethinking some stuff.

Oh my goodness.

Back