New Release: Callaway Apex UW

That is some great gapping. What would you hope the UW to do that you aren’t getting now?
3HL 16.5 just can’t get home on a couple of par 5s, so was switching it to a 15dg 3 wood. But I struggle with 3 woods off the deck, hence if a 17UW can get me to 270yds then I could screw the Tsi2 Hyb down to 18deg to fill the gap.
I’m currently testing a Mizuno Stz 3 wood but still lack that precision to attack par 5 greens. The short shaft of UW has me intrigued.

Here is my setup with the UW:

Driver
3 wood
17* UW
21* UW
5 iron through the rest of the bag.

Nice setup…. I can’t afford to rebuild the top of my bag after adding a few hybrids this year and they are performing well, when called on.

I am pondering the UW to replace my Mavrik 4 fairway as I haven’t hit it in 6-8 weeks but we won’t probably see the UW in stores up here until probably Christmas. I also play a Apex Pro 2 & 5 hybrid which are both solid.

Just have to find the right UW° that might fit in between the 2 hybrids or a UW° that plays longer than the 2H but is great off both tee and fairway i.e. a strong 3W replacement. The challenge is to find the right one and be sure. What I found is the Apex Pro 2 hybrid has replaced my 4 FW as it is both longer off tee and deck.

Will have to wait out until the UW arrives up north of the border.

Driver
3 wood
17* UW
21* UW

Thinking roughly the same for my bag.

Driver
3 wood
17* UW
21* UW
I’m thinking simialr
Driver
16 Super hybrid
21 UW
5-P

Another experience with these clubs today. My body was feeling loose today and it allowed me to see even better the potential. I absolutely nutted the 17* out of some light rough and I was shocked that it got me to the green, about 250 yards (I am designating the 17* as a 5 wood in my Garmin watch, since that is the spot the club fills). Then, on the second par 5 of the front 9, a wind had picked up and I was about 210 to the pin. With the wind behind me, I ended up through the green, 238 yards with the 21*. Finally, on the first par 5 on the back 9, I hit the 17* for my second shot. Into a wind that was now gusting at 2 clubs, the measured distance was 228 yards.

I am starting to see what Phil Mickelson noted in the Callaway video. This profile is extremely versatile from different lies. The ball speed and launch are quite consistent across the face. As much as I like the 17*, I love the 21* even more. It has such a perfect ball flight for me and I have now proven to myself that I can cover any where from about 195 to 215 yards with it. I can’t manipulate a hybrid the way that I can this.

This does for me what I was hoping the Super Hybrid would do. I have two Super Hybrids that will need a new home.

40B482B0-906B-4954-8091-98D0B1586053.jpegE1D59228-01F3-4C21-AC6D-0FDE983F55A0.jpegA66E4434-B268-4DE0-B4B6-F1B548AE1E87.jpeg

Pondering one of these in 19˚ to replace my Mavrik 3H...

@Tenputt and all: I am super interested in giving this a go, but I am pretty happy with the top of the bag. That said, Im a junkie and have very little will power. Ha.

My question is, would you guys that have this in play now say that the yardage is kind of in-line with your current gear, more/less? I love the idea of versatility but before pulling the trigger I need to determine what loft I would start out with - if this were to fit into my bag.

Thanks in advance for any input!

@Tenputt and all: I am super interested in giving this a go, but I am pretty happy with the top of the bag. That said, Im a junkie and have very little will power. Ha.

My question is, would you guys that have this in play now say that the yardage is kind of in-line with your current gear, more/less? I love the idea of versatility but before pulling the trigger I need to determine what loft I would start out with - if this were to fit into my bag.

Thanks in advance for any input!
What club would you be replacing? For me, my 21* replaces a 21 degree hybrid that I had set at 20*. The 17* replaces my 5 wood. I think that the 21* is pretty close to the hybrid, which is a Cobra King Tec and those generate a pretty high smash factor. The 17* is a bit longer than the 5 wood that I have been using. I think the added length is because this club has a flatter ball flight at the apex than my 5 wood, so individual swing characteristics could make that vary.

What club would you be replacing? For me, my 21* replaces a 21 degree hybrid that I had set at 20*. The 17* replaces my 5 wood. I think that the 21* is pretty close to the hybrid, which is a Cobra King Tec and those generate a pretty high smash factor. The 17* is a bit longer than the 5 wood that I have been using. I think the added length is because this club has a flatter ball flight at the apex than my 5 wood, so individual swing characteristics could make that vary.

Thats the question. Which one. If it went really well, like all you guys, then I guess its a complete rethink (lovely. lol). It sounds like you are pretty much matching up your current stuff and that absolutely answers my question. Thanks for that! I think I am going to start with the 19* and go from there. That would be my Hybrid replacement. Much appreciated!

Screenshot_20211018-132445_TheGrint.jpg

I'm just gonna leave this here as a reminder for anyone and everyone to internet-punch me in the junk if I lose my mind anytime soon and try to tell myself there's a better club for that spot.

I hit a 19° and a super hybrid today at a shop. Club looks great at address.

I don’t know what it is but I struggle like crazy hitting a ball indoors on a sim. Why I see there doesn’t resemble either my good or bad shots out on the course. Something mental I guess.

At least in my testing today the super hybrid worked better. I really need to find a way of testing outside.

I need someone around here to buy one and let me swing it. hahaha

View attachment 9036263

I'm just gonna leave this here as a reminder for anyone and everyone to internet-punch me in the junk if I lose my mind anytime soon and try to tell myself there's a better club for that spot.
Is Golf even fun for you anymore?

Got out this past weekend with my 17* UW and came away super impressed. Windy day and was able to keep the ball under control. The club performed great off the tee, fairway and rough.

I always struggled gapping between my 13.5* 3 wood and 21* 4 iron. Tried driving irons, 5 woods, hybrids and super hybrids but nothing did it all. Through 1 round this thing performed in all aspects. This might be the unicorn I’ve been looking for in this spot.

Last edited:
Is Golf even fun for you anymore?

I found THAT experience extremely fun. :D

In fact I think I've said that a few times after hitting this club.

*UW beauty*

"That was fun"

I hit a 19° and a super hybrid today at a shop. Club looks great at address.

I don’t know what it is but I struggle like crazy hitting a ball indoors on a sim. Why I see there doesn’t resemble either my good or bad shots out on the course. Something mental I guess.

At least in my testing today the super hybrid worked better. I really need to find a way of testing outside.
We should get a round in on Saturday. I will let you swing mine.

I need someone around here to buy one and let me swing it. hahaha
When I bought my 17* for 10 bucks with Rewards Points, I thought I might be passing it around. Now it’s locked in the bag, LOL. Guess you’d have to jump on a plane.

When I bought my 17* for 10 bucks with Rewards Points, I thought I might be passing it around. Now it’s locked in the bag, LOL. Guess you’d have to jump on a plane.
I am ROLLING at this. Because I normally let just about anyone borrow a new club of mine to try. My bags are like co-ops. Even my T22 illegal C Grind is making the rounds. But I've had a few close friends ask to take this out and I'm like ahhh :unsure:... it's busy. I'm using it. Maybe not later. :LOL:

I. Wish. 😢

Back