New Release: Callaway Apex UW

I have followed this thread and the reviews. @jmans reviews got my attention based not only on his very positive comments but because he has been doing reviews for a long time, tested a lot of clubs and his comment "favorite club ever made, easily" really got my attention. Tuesday night I hit a friends 21 degree and it truly was amazing. Before his arrived I kept sending him copies of posts from this thread. When I hit it not only did it live up to the comments in this thread it exceeded my expectations. I am now trying to figure out what to go with and where it would fit. Leaning toward the 21 because there is one specific hole at our club where I think it may be the one a long par three over water, two big bunkers narrow approach and a tight tree lined fairway , everyone for years has had trouble with this hole. To make it even tougher it is hole number one, first swing of the day many times into the wind. I can also see a lot of situations this could be a good fit for. Callaway never disappoints.

man I can't explain how much I love this club. It's almost become a crutch when I need it.

never returned this guy like i planned. might try to throw it back in as I rework the bag. still curious about shortening it a bit to play more hybrid length. :unsure:

After hitting a friends i ended picking up the 19 degree. Played 9 today after work. First time using it. It did everything i hoped it would. Needed to work a draw on a hole to get around some trees. No problem. The feel is incredible. And it goes. What a great feeling club. The good feeling carried over shot my best nine of the year, a 39 which is really good for me, cant wait for tomorrow morning.

I like this club but am not in love with it. I get some really wonky flights (I know it’s user error) and then some perfect shots. I can’t see me keeping it in the bag. I’m losing shots with it. It is better from medium rough than any hybrid I’ve ever hit.

I like this club but am not in love with it. I get some really wonky flights (I know it’s user error) and then some perfect shots. I can’t see me keeping it in the bag. I’m losing shots with it. It is better from medium rough than any hybrid I’ve ever hit.

Sorry to hear. Is there something you have in mine that will plug back into that spot in your bag?

Remains the most predictable club in my bag. Even on days with no timing where I can’t find the slot on the downswing, it delivers.

Sorry to hear. Is there something you have in mine that will plug back into that spot in your bag?
torn between fli-hi 2i and rogue st 3w

torn between fli-hi 2i and rogue st 3w

Do those both go around the same distance for you or is it more of a consistency thing you like about those for you?

Remains the most predictable club in my bag. Even on days with no timing where I can’t find the slot on the downswing, it delivers.
Yep. I couldn't swing for crap today, and this thing is like a security blanket. Used it multiple times off the tee.

I love the 21° and I like the 17°. The 21° I feel like I have control over and can hit all the shots I want. The 17° I’ve hit a lot of good shots but sometimes just leaks too far right on me.

Do those both go around the same distance for you or is it more of a consistency thing you like about those for you?
Just consistency. I like the UW, just get the most random results. Not sure why. I use my King Tec hybrid mostly and just swing faster instead of using the UW. Really just looking for a back up tee club is all.

The 21* UW is such a great club to use on long 3’s and short 5’s into the greens. Ability to get this club in the air and land so softly is nice as allows it to hold greens when usually I’d find myself struggling to hold from that distance and not roll over into some less than preferred lies.

Just consistency. I like the UW, just get the most random results. Not sure why. I use my King Tec hybrid mostly and just swing faster instead of using the UW. Really just looking for a back up tee club is all.

I am just waiting for Callaway to either make a 15 degree or make it adjustable. I love this club. GL on the quest!!

I am just waiting for Callaway to either make a 15 degree or make it adjustable. I love this club. GL on the quest!!
The issue with adjustable is it will entirely change the CG with the added weight of an adapter. They’d have to do some tweaking, which of course Cally is more than capable of.

I just don’t think this can be improved. 🤣

The issue with adjustable is it will entirely change the CG with the added weight of an adapter. They’d have to do some tweaking, which of course Cally is more than capable of.

I just don’t think this can be improved. 🤣

Makes sense.

I am really with you, it can't be improved. However, I am sure we can tinker a bit with it, can't we? lol.;)

Well 1 popped up today on CPO with 25% off and I snagged it. 19* to replace my Vsteel 5* franken club.

Can't wait to see a lot of these in Myrtle in a few weeks. A lot of talk of club testing out. Don't look at me if one goes missing 😇

I have a Big Bertha 3 wood set at 16*, Maverick Pro 20 & 23 hybrid. How would the UW family fit to replace or play with these?

man I can't explain how much I love this club. It's almost become a crutch when I need it.

Which loft do you have? How are you using it?

I wouldn’t mind a slightly longer option over my 4h.

A little bit of the honeymoon phase wore off but it was more me than club. When I connected the flight and distances were predictable. I’m still trying to groove my new swing and some inconsistent strikes are showing up. The main thing I’m doing is working on getting these to hit a predictable flight because the distances are filling a much need gap in my bag.

Last edited:
Has anyone had issues with the UW showing rust spots? It’s not major, but for a less than 1 year old club it seems odd. Should I be storing it without a head cover while it’s at home?

Which loft do you have? How are you using it?

I wouldn’t mind a slightly longer option over my 4h.

First off…not a fan of the avatar change.

I’m using the 19. Can use it off the tee, but using it mostly off the deck. Use it when I know I need a shot that needs to stay somewhat safe. I wouldn’t mind going up in loft for a 2nd one, but I think it might fly too far for that gap that I would want it to fill.

First off…not a fan of the avatar change.

I’m using the 19. Can use it off the tee, but using it mostly off the deck. Use it when I know I need a shot that needs to stay somewhat safe. I wouldn’t mind going up in loft for a 2nd one, but I think it might fly too far for that gap that I would want it to fill.

I regret it already.

Back