New Release: Callaway Apex UW

Mine has a tiny bit of rust too
I mean mine has probably earned it at this point. I'll allow it. It's been around a while now. Hundreds of rounds. Rain or shine. Good swing or bad. It hasn't left the bag since day 1 because it's that damn good, so it's alright I guess if it wants to age as gracefully as I am. :D

One thing that says a lot about this for me is I haven’t been tempted to put the og Apex 3h back in the bag. I love that club, UW though is awesome.

I was thinking about a reshaft into UST
Proforce V2 works great for me in this club, and it comes in black. The UW head is pretty low spin so I think mid profile shafts fit well.

I backed up a UW into a par 5 over the weekend. Relatively flat green maybe a little back to front slope, into a one club wind, about a foot of rollback. Wild stuff.

1662498320450.png

Shaft advice?
been looking for a 17 on CW pre owned for a while
I have now the Project X 5.5 58 gr shaft on my 3,4,& 5 CW hybrids
I think the UW can come with the 5.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 Graphite or the RDX 60??
Would a 70 be "bad" for me? and can I even get a 60??

If I go to buy new I cannot get the 60gr even though it says you can customize?? (5.5 is only 70)
Thanks

Not much left to say that has not already been said. Incredible out of the rough and today the first cut rough was a little dewey and wet which has given me problems in the past. Not today the club is fantastic. Such a great club and so versatile.

Shaft advice?
been looking for a 17 on CW pre owned for a while
I have now the Project X 5.5 58 gr shaft on my 3,4,& 5 CW hybrids
I think the UW can come with the 5.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 Graphite or the RDX 60??
Would a 70 be "bad" for me? and can I even get a 60??

If I go to buy new I cannot get the 60gr even though it says you can customize?? (5.5 is only 70)
Thanks
You clshould be able to get the black in a 60g 5.5 in it. Should be available on the site. You could also go lighter in some other stuff if you want. Cypher in 40 or 50. The RDX Red in 50 would offer L, R, and S. Should have some UST Helium in light weights available for it too. MMT 60.. those are the ones that come to mind for non upcharge and light weight.

You clshould be able to get the black in a 60g 5.5 in it. Should be available on the site. You could also go lighter in some other stuff if you want. Cypher in 40 or 50. The RDX Red in 50 would offer L, R, and S. Should have some UST Helium in light weights available for it too. MMT 60.. those are the ones that come to mind for non upcharge and light weight.
Thanks for the advice! I was thinking stay as close to my hybrids as possible so that would be the 60gr
I tried building it on the site but couldn't get the shaft to change to 60 despite multiple tries??

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking stay as close to my hybrids as possible so that would be the 60gr
I tried building it on the site but couldn't get the shaft to change to 60 despite multiple tries??
Hm. Try again. Make sure you tap the Custom Graphite button, then choose Project X, and drop down the choices. 60g black should be there. Then after that you can pick regular. Worked a minute ago for me.

Screenshot_20220911-163557_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks - I tried a different browser (Safari) and it worked.
Sitting in cart - 305$ for the 60 hzrdus w a midsize tour wrap..

i hit my 19* uw yesterday once off the tee, twice into par 4s, and as a layup once on a par 5.

off the tee it was a bit of a low spin draw that rode the wind and went a pretty far distance. not the shape i was going for, but ended up working out ok.

layup on the par 5 was hit really well, but faded more than i wanted and got a horrific kick. i expected a fade, but i think i misjudged the wind. distance was pretty strong again.

once of the par 4s i had 190 out of the rough to a well-guarded green. flew it past the pin, and it stopped within 6' of its pitchmark. kinda crazy result from a club like this and out of the rough. the other was the tough finishing par 4 18th. 205, into a small green uphill into the wind. wind off the left so played for it to fall right, and it just stayed dead straight. landed just short of pin high, and trundled forward to the rough adjacent to the back of the green.

i think with some more time and comfort, this thing may be just as long as my 3w. and it looks and feels way better. only concern so far is it seems to like missing both directions, but maybe with more time i'll control it a little better.

I have wanted to pick up a 19 UW for a while now, take out my F9 5 wood. Just have not come across a good used one in a shaft i think would work for me.

I will be purchasing one of these really soon but I need to decide whether I should go with the 19° or 21° to try to replace my original Apex 3 hybrid to hit the 220 yard spot. I need to try to carve out some time to get to a store and hit these so I can get the right gapping.

I will be purchasing one of these really soon but I need to decide whether I should go with the 19° or 21° to try to replace my original Apex 3 hybrid to hit the 220 yard spot. I need to try to carve out some time to get to a store and hit these so I can get the right gapping.

Go hit them and find out. The answer for me though is the 21°

Reactions: KEV

21*. the uw is HOT.

Has anyone's UW rusted? I just took my headcover off and it is totally rusted and I cant get it off.

Has anyone's UW rusted? I just took my headcover off and it is totally rusted and I cant get it off.

no, but i haven't had it for very long. i wonder if they're using a similar face to the mavrik line. i noticed some rust spots on the face of my mav fairways. personally it doesn't bother me. i have rusty wedges that i love. but i can see where many people would not want such an expensive club to show that kind of blemish.

I have both the 17° & the 21° and have been playing them all year approx 90 rounds in and just took a look and they are not rusting but they are showing some very light wear almost like early signs of pitting. I will keep my eyes on them.

I’m 100% ok if for the next version of the UW they change nothing and just give it a matte finish on the crown.

On the course with this club today.... I gave up on it. For every great shot I get 2-3 that cost me some significant shots. Time to move on... I've struggled and fought it but its not working for me.

On the course with this club today.... I gave up on it. For every great shot I get 2-3 that cost me some significant shots. Time to move on... I've struggled and fought it but its not working for me.
Same experience for me. It was great when I first got it. Then I started hitting more bad shots than good until the good shots became fewer and fewer and the bad shots became the norm. TSR2 has been pretty good thus far...

Mine has had rust for a few months now. It’s not old, but it’s not brand new either. I’ll probably give vinegar and a scrubber a shot. It hasn’t lost anything and it looks cosmetic at this point, but I’d rather not let it get too bad.

Back