New Release: Callaway Apex UW

love the small shape, I don't really like the bighead shaping of most modern fairways
I'm a big fan of the shape too. More than I thought I would be from initial pictures. It's a nice balance.

I may or may not have ordered one today

It reminds me of my new beloved Cleveland Hy-wood. But it does seem to be a bit better looking (don't tell her I said that) and I like that it comes in a variety of lofts. (The Hy-wood only comes in 18*.)

I love the flexibility manufacturers are offering. I think some players feel more comfortable with fairway woods. Some of us prefer hybrids. But lower lofted hybrids were never as user friendly as higher lofted ones. These clubs fill a nice place at the top of the bag.

I may or may not have ordered one today

Can't wait to hear your thoughts. I need to see it in person but love the shape and how it sits behind the ball from the pictures I've seen

What is the difference between the UW and Super Hybrid? Both seem to fit golfers that prefer hybrids over fairway woods.
ESH Is a high launching, long as all hell, low spin monster. Apex UW is more of a surgeons tool that YES launches high but gives you the spin and versatility u need for versatility. Im LOVING this thing

But if you have a 7 wood this would be a good step down instead of a hybrid and definitely better than an iron. It is a good looking club though. I guess maybe a player's 7 wood?
Players 5 or 7 wood is a good way to look at it however, the UW doesnt have the hot spots that a fairway wood would have. It lives in a nice launch window up and down the face.

I'll have more thoughts later, but like I said in the Live Round thread, I was pretty much loving this thing in challenging conditions today. Can't deny I was impressed.

Last edited:
Hard ponder right now one of these at 17° with the new Smoke RDX red in the 4 wood spot. Can’t see that not happening at some point.

I'll have more thoughts later, but like I said in the Live Round thread, I was pretty much living this thing in challenging conditions today. Can't deny I was impressed.

I love seeing 7 wood converts. I know this is not exactly that, but it kinda is at the same time. It is such a fun club.

Hard ponder right now one of these at 17° with the new Smoke RDX red in the 4 wood spot. Can’t see that not happening at some point.

I have had this exact same thought..

20211011_165739.jpg20211011_165747.jpg

Apex Pro hybrid, Apex UW, Epic 5W

Assuming the ability to play either profile, it appears that one would choose a Syper Hybrid, if the goal is flat out distance and the UW, if the goal is more to hit a specific distance target. Am I assuming correctly?

Assuming the ability to play either profile, it appears that one would choose a Syper Hybrid, if the goal is flat out distance and the UW, if the goal is more to hit a specific distance target. Am I assuming correctly?

That is kind of how I am seeing it. I am sure there is some more nuance than that as always but this is a good base.

I love seeing 7 wood converts. I know this is not exactly that, but it kinda is at the same time. It is such a fun club.
I could see it in the higher loft I guess. The lengths and launch and face are all a little different though, and I'm more wanting it to be an in between FW and hybrid with lots of control at fairly big distance. Unless I go to 4W and 19 UW maybe. Really liked what I saw from the 17* today.

I think part of what appeals to me is the idea that this launches high and spins which would be more beneficial for holding a green.

View attachment 9033632View attachment 9033633

There's already some comparing it to the super hybrid, so here's my UW next to my Epic Speed 5W. Won't be able to play again today, or tomorrow, but looking forward to smashing it this week.

Oh my.

I must find one to test.

I was pumped for the SH, but I need spin, and control. This seems like the ticket, even if it's not a rocket launcher.

I think part of what appeals to me is the idea that this launches high and spins which would be more beneficial for holding a green.
I agree, for those who have a lot of club speed, this could be a weapon. I suppose that is why Mickelson took to it. For those like me, who need distance, I am not sure if this is the correct profile. Spin robs me of distance that I need. It is the same logic as to why a player distance iron works well for many. The high launch and low spin gets them some extra distance. It is a very intriguing club, but the more I think about it, I am the wrong player for it.

I am really excited to see this club. I want something between my big tour 3w and 4iron. I have tried numerous options and am currently using an F9 roughly 5-6W right now. The newest hybrids have almost worked good for me and the F9 is almost what I want 😀 and this seems like a perfect fit. I have played a 3h, 2i, 7W and demoed many things for this spot over the years. I plan on trying this out at some point to see if it replaces the 5W

Oh my.

I must find one to test.

I was pumped for the SH, but I need spin, and control. This seems like the ticket, even if it's not a rocket launcher.

I wanted to love the super hybrid. In testing I just haven't found what I've seen to be very useful on course, for me. I've enjoyed the 5W quite a bit, but there are occasional flights that give me pause. I was able to mash this off the tee today, while still launching it, and controlling it in the wind really well. It honestly surprised me. I think I have some direct shot comparisons, but I'll have to check when I get home later.

20211011_183043.jpg

This kind of says it all for me. Left is my 5W into the wind about a week ago. Right is same tee today, into an even stronger wind. Watching that 5W climb on that shot was the first time I went 😕 ohhh, with it. Watching the UW hit the same intended peak, on a more boring trajectory was the first time I started saying okay I like this. I was able to with it high and low and both directions, add and take off spin, and really hit the shots I wanted on a windy day. My low loft hybrids would have been more bullet-like, and my 5W would have climbed there again. I'll do a lot more comparison, but the flight and spin window looked real useful for me today out there.

View attachment 9034368

This kind of says it all for me. Left is my 5W into the wind about a week ago. Right is same tee today, into an even stronger wind. Watching that 5W climb on that shot was the first time I went 😕 ohhh, with it. Watching the UW hit the same intended peak, on a more boring trajectory was the first time I started saying okay I like this. I was able to with it high and low and both directions, add and take off spin, and really hit the shots I wanted on a windy day. My low loft hybrids would have been more bullet-like, and my 5W would have climbed there again. I'll do a lot more comparison, but the flight and spin window looked real useful for me today out there.
So are you saying that your 5w spins more than this UW?

I agree, for those who have a lot of club speed, this could be a weapon. I suppose that is why Mickelson took to it. For those like me, who need distance, I am not sure if this is the correct profile. Spin robs me of distance that I need. It is the same logic as to why a player distance iron works well for many. The high launch and low spin gets them some extra distance. It is a very intriguing club, but the more I think about it, I am the wrong player for it.

Are you finding the super hybrid easy enough to stop? My concern is Utah conditions where even landing short it will roll over and off the back of the green.

So are you saying that your 5w spins more than this UW?
I'll check it later this week, but I believe it might be. The launch and spin combination at least, is definitely a higher spinnier looking flight, that I can't do all the things I did with this even on the front 9 today. It's more bell. Less flat at the top. But this seemed to have enough spin to control, and also get up.

Screenshot_20211011-185324_Video Player.jpg

This shot today with the UW is another example. With my 18* hybrid, I wouldn't have tried that shot. I would have played left of it. And with my 5W I could take that line, but I would hand it over to the elements more. It would drift at the peak. That thing was solid. I was able to shape one with it against a right wind to land and stop on an upper fairway today at 240, generally work out like I said, but flatten it out too. I leaned on a draw off a right wind off the tee for 309 today. That would have actually been a problem on a split fairway, but it was impressive none-the-less. My fairway wants to just get up and go regardless of what I want a little more.

It's early, and only one outing. Impressions are bound to change. I'm not easy to impress like that though. It did really well.

Last edited:
Are you finding the super hybrid easy enough to stop? My concern is Utah conditions where even landing short it will roll over and off the back of the green.
For me, the OG Super Hybrid was more of a second shot into a par 5 club and a tee club on short par 4’s. I figure that on a par 5 a second shot on or near the green is a winner. It wasn’t something that I really sought to stop on a green. I have a new Super Hybrid and thus far haven’t hit it well, but I haven’t really had a chance to work with it.

For me, the OG Super Hybrid was more of a second shot into a par 5 club and a tee club on short par 4’s. I figure that on a par 5 a second shot on or near the green is a winner. It wasn’t something that I really sought to stop on a green. I have a new Super Hybrid and thus far haven’t hit it well, but I haven’t really had a chance to work with it.

It sounds like an interesting experiment. I played most of the season without a fairway wood in the bag.

I’m also a little interested in the super hybrid. A 2 hybrid set up where the shorter is used for approaches and the other to just hit it far could also work.

Back