New Release: Callaway Apex UW

How long do you think the carry is on it for you not counting for elevated tee (you mentioned downhill)?
Where I'm at, the elevation is about 5500. So downhill and elevation was 270. Flat where I'm at is about 235-240 carry for me. It carries every bit as far as my previous hybrid that was 19*.

I got in a TrackMan session last Thursday evening. I hit the 21* UW. 12 balls. TrackMan set at sea level.

Club speed - 90.4
Ball speed - 129.7
Smash factor - 1.43
Spin - 3928
Carry - 202

It looks like at sea level the 21* UW is a good solid 200 yard club for me, which is awesome relative to expectations. Peak height and dispersion can be seen below.

View attachment 9038149View attachment 9038150
The consistent distance is very good!

Where I'm at, the elevation is about 5500. So downhill and elevation was 270. Flat where I'm at is about 235-240 carry for me. It carries every bit as far as my previous hybrid that was 19*.
That’s really good. Awesome for you…

The consistent distance is very good!
That is something that Callaway touted (at least Mickelson mentioned it in his video) and that I have noticed. The north/south dispersion is incredibly good.

Last edited:
That is something the Callaway touted (at least Mickelson mentioned it in his video) and that I have noticed. The north/south dispersion is incredibly good.
That's been my experience so far as well. Hit it off the deck from a tee box on another hole and was a beautiful baby fade. Loved it. Definitely has more height than my hybrid or UT iron.

Were these purchased from a club champion like store or ordered from callaway with the LA shafts?
Purchased through PGA Superstore. For some reason PGA let’s you build a custom club online for the UW

Purchased through PGA Superstore. For some reason PGA let’s you build a custom club online for the UW
I hadn’t seen LA Golf available until today when I looked on Callawaygolf.com. Can’t wait to hear how you hit them.

I hadn’t seen LA Golf available until today when I looked on Callawaygolf.com. Can’t wait to hear how you hit them.
Just left my indoor session and after 1 round I can’t make any conclusions/ assumptions.
Shaft feels nice. Plays stiff to flex but also quite smooth.

I don’t love the head without any alignment aid on top. Relatively easy to hit and saw the same flight window which is encouraging. Speed wise it’s nothing impressive to my PXG Gen4 18* hybrid w/ Ventus blue 9x. Maybe it’s familiarity but Gen4 was giving me more repeatable numbers and consistency

Indoors. First time hitting. Overall not bad but not blown away. Time will tell if I keep these or not

Just got my batch in and have been more than pleased. It will be in my bag for sure and has already made it into the bag of quite a few other players.
Love hearing this from someone like you, and glad you're getting some people set up with it. 👍

IMG_2676.jpg
Got the chance to test out this bad boy today. Hit the first ball and my reaction was WOW! This club has some serious pop! Ball speeds were consistently in the mid 150's. Very forgiving too! It seems to favor a little bit of a draw, but very consistent in terms of carry distance and easy enough to hit a high fade if needed. Actually went a little farther than I was hoping, but I can still try the 21 degree in the future, which may be perfect since the 19 degree went about 15 yards too far for what I need in terms of gapping. ZERO trouble getting this to launch in the air and compact enough that I think it would be pretty reasonable to hit out of the rough too. GREAT CLUB!!

Got out to hit the UW and the Super Hybrid in 19, which was the only loft they had in stiff for the UW. Distance wise, the 19 was just a touch longer than my Mav 3H at 18. Distance was pretty consistent on well struck shots. Easy to elevate, with no issues hitting it off the mats in the sim. Directionally I was a little more consistent with the Mav 3H. I definitely see the appeal of this club, but would need more time to talk myself into picking it up this late in the season. At least in the 3H/5W spot. Will definitely keep this in my list of options.

Carry numbers for me with this were pretty similar to the Epic Super Hybrid. The Super Hybrid rolled out a little more, which was expected. I did find the UW easier to hit off the mat tonight than the Super Hybrid. I jumped on the Super Hybrid train early. I still think the 2H meets my needs, but I totally see the appeal of the UW.

I didn't have a ton of luck with the RDX Blue in some drivers this year, but the Black pairing here worked pretty well for me. Well enough I could game it with no hesitation.

These UWs are.....

And there's no upcharge for the Trono :)

And there's no upcharge for the Trono :)
Yea glitch on the PGA website. Thats the only reason I bought them. Figured it was worth a shot to try the shaft. Its been 2 weeks now im surprised they've done nothing about it bc Callaway's site is $345 upcharge

That is something that Callaway touted (at least Mickelson mentioned it in his video) and that I have noticed. The north/south dispersion is incredibly good.
This excites me. I like the idea of a 3 wood or superhybrid in the top of the bag for when I just want distance / a safe backup choice off the tee. But in the position I envision this fitting I want to have consistent distances as this will help me with long approaches where I don't want that random hot ball which can get me in trouble.

I might just buy one today. Just because.

Really need to hit this soon. I'm done with hybrids. They are the bane of my existence.

Really need to hit this soon. I'm done with hybrids. They are the bane of my existence.
From what you have described about your game, I really think this would be an awesome addition to your bag.

From what you have described about your game, I really think this would be an awesome addition to your bag.

Based on what all you guys are saying I strongly agree. Loved the look in hand, but didn't want to hit it indoors. Outdoor shop doesn't have one to demo yet, and fairly expensive to buy blind (not that its stopped me before).

I want to hit one of these outside after last night & thinking about what I saw on the sim. I will say I don't think these will mix super well with my Mav hybrids. With the more neutral face I had to be a little more conscious about my swing to get the ball where I wanted. Probably where the directional difference came from. I was able to turn this over pretty easily once I was cognizant of the difference.

I want to hit one of these outside after last night & thinking about what I saw on the sim. I will say I don't think these will mix super well with my Mav hybrids. With the more neutral face I had to be a little more conscious about my swing to get the ball where I wanted. Probably where the directional difference came from. I was able to turn this over pretty easily once I was cognizant of the difference.
I personally believe that this is as neutral as you could ever find for a club that is either a wood or a hybrid. Thus, I think most good ball strikers will find the ball flight that they hit naturally to come pretty consistently with head.

Just scheduled time at my local Club Champion to try this and the Epic Super Hybrid.. I need to try them

Back