New Release: Callaway Apex UW

I want one.

But what loft….

A small update as it was pretty windy this afternoon and easy a 2-3 club wind on the range. I didn’t get much of an idea of how far this can go, but I hit it and the 19* sits comfortably between the hybrid and 3w.

sound wise they nailed it. I’m not great describing the sound, but it would be what I call crisp and felt very compact (in a good way) at impact. This one reminds me a lot of the divine 9 experience I had a few years back.

I’ve been up and down with my hybrid and I’m in serious ponder mode adding the 21* and dropping the hybrid.

A small update as it was pretty windy this afternoon and easy a 2-3 club wind on the range. I didn’t get much of an idea of how far this can go, but I hit it and the 19* sits comfortably between the hybrid and 3w.

sound wise they nailed it. I’m not great describing the sound, but it would be what I call crisp and felt very compact (in a good way) at impact. This one reminds me a lot of the divine 9 experience I had a few years back.

I’ve been up and down with my hybrid and I’m in serious ponder mode adding the 21* and dropping the hybrid.
I added the 21 in place of my 4 hybrid and am not looking back.

*Internet Golfer Warning*

Shaft options are meh for me. :LOL:

*Internet Golfer Warning*

Shaft options are meh for me. :LOL:
You always have a nice selection waiting around for just such an emergency.

You always have a nice selection waiting around for just such an emergency.
But a new Kinetixx Ballistic would be a beautiful thing in it :LOL:

A lot of wind yesterday so I didn’t get a good sense of overall distance. Today had calmer conditions and I was able to hit some great shots. It was all about figuring out if the hybrid stayed or I order a 21* to replace it. Admittedly hybrids have been hit or miss and that proved out today. Much more consistent with the UW in terms of contact and confidence. Ball just wants to go straight or has a slight fade to it.
The apex hybrid has been traded in and a 21* UW is on the way.

Last edited:
While I struggled hitting on a sim it was a different story out in the course. I got a chance to hit both the 17° and the 21°.

I might be buying two of these now. I really like the flight from these. High, long, and really quite forgiving.

@Tenputt picked apart the #1 handicap hole hitting this off the tee and then for the approach leaving a birdie putt. On 12 we played the par 3 from 245 he was on the green, mine leaked right a touch buthad the distance just off the green.

The 17th is a short par 4 with a lake and a huge tree right in front of the tee box that makes hitting long clubs hard. The 17° got the ball up and over no problem leaving a wedge from the fairway.

I hadn’t been considering the 17° but the extra height over the hybrid is too good.

While I struggled hitting on a sim it was a different story out in the course. I got a chance to hit both the 17° and the 21°.

I might be buying two of these now. I really like the flight from these. High, long, and really quite forgiving.

@Tenputt picked apart the #1 handicap hole hitting this off the tee and then for the approach leaving a birdie putt. On 12 we played the par 3 from 245 he was on the green, mine leaked right a touch buthad the distance just off the green.

The 17th is a short par 4 with a lake and a huge tree right in front of the tee box that makes hitting long clubs hard. The 17° got the ball up and over no problem leaving a wedge from the fairway.

I hadn’t been considering the 17° but the extra height over the hybrid is too good.
I watched @GolfFest hit some great shots with both the 21* and the 17*. The shot mentioned on our 17th tee is a very difficult tee shot that you have to thread like a needle. Even worse, there is a tall tree blocking the carry to the fairway, in essence creating a forced carry. His tee ball took off like a rocket and had that flat apex that I have come to recognize and love with this head.

The other thing that we both noticed today is how it retains the ball speed when the head is not quite squared up. A couple balls left a little right still had the expected distance.

We both feel like the stock Hzrdus Smoke Black works fine and we generally seek a bit different profile shaft for our own games. He likes a little more launch and spin. So, it is encouraging that this combo works for our differing needs.

Last edited:

Great news you had a fun and enjoyable experience with initial testing and awesome that @Tenputt 👏👏👏 was so generous and close by that you could meet up and play some golf. Nothing better than testing on course in playing conditions. The 17° Is on my radar, my Apex Pro 2 hybrid is willing to go head to head in 2022 for that slot in the bag.

17 sounds fun, but I don’t need a 4w.

19 is a good slot.

21 wouldn’t be short enough to actually gap into my bag setup I don’t think.

It’s gotta be 19 then…maybe?

17 sounds fun, but I don’t need a 4w.

19 is a good slot.

21 wouldn’t be short enough to actually gap into my bag setup I don’t think.

It’s gotta be 19 then…maybe?
Sounds right.

Just got back from range, where the 21 got it's first real workout. This club is so so good, it's really hard to put in words.

It's been a long time since a club has impressed me this much. The last time, was the Vsteel...

I am in love, and desperately want the 17. Can I hold off until Dec....?:eek:

I have an @OldandStiff love affair with this club.

On course workout hopefully Tuesday. To say I'm excited would be the hardest of understatements.

My Apex Pro 2 Hybrid accepted the challenge over the winter months….Apex UW 17° ordered with LAGP Trono 65 shaft. Probably won’t arrive until after season ends but buddy has a skytrack so will get some time to play with it over the winter 😉.

Now…in internet fashion I need to order a shaft to swap out when the 19 arrives :LOL:

I have the 21, finally hit it today on a long par 3 uphill. 10 feet from the flag right on line. I never could have pulled that shot off with a 3 iron.

I think it is inevitable at this point, just need to decide on a shaft. I think I could play the stock black pretty well, though part of me wants to wait until RDX Red is an option.

My swing is a touch off and things are leaking right, the black worked pretty well for that miss not too high or spinny. I’m used to drawing the ball more than I am right now and the little extra from the red might be beneficial when I figure that out. Or maybe I’m overthinking.

I think it is inevitable at this point, just need to decide on a shaft. I think I could play the stock black pretty well, though part of me wants to wait until RDX Red is an option.

My swing is a touch off and things are leaking right, the black worked pretty well for that miss not too high or spinny. I’m used to drawing the ball more than I am right now and the little extra from the red might be beneficial when I figure that out. Or maybe I’m overthinking.
I will have to ask Keenan about this during our time with him in Florida next week.

Back