New Release: Callaway Apex UW

I was hitting mine well this weekend I love that freaking club.

Ferrule has separated from the hosel. It isn’t loose. Gonna have to find someone that can reset it.

I've decided I need one of these. Can't quite decide on loft between the 17 and 19. Swing speed is 99-104 with driver depending on day. I'm looking to fill gap between my driver and 21 deg hybrid which would seem like the 17 deg but from some people reported distances not sure. I'm looking for a 230-240 ish club. Current club in that category is a Epic Flash SZ five wood I have turned down to 17 deg. When struck well I can get it to 240-245 but have not been hitting well lately. Last year it was my magic club, this year not so much. Current average distances from Arccos for this season:

Driver (Tsi3 10 deg): 262
5 W (EFSZ @17): 218
4H (TSi2 @ 21): 215
5i (PXG 0311P @ 24): 195

As you can see my 5w is my liability currently. I'm guessing i'll be able to push the 19 UW deg to about 230-240 on good strikes but not sure. If it is more consistent and easier to hit then that's a plus over the 17 deg as well. It will be both a tee club and a turf club on long 5's.

Advice appreciated. Thank you! Fingers crossed CPO has some new stock of these coming in soon.

I've decided I need one of these. Can't quite decide on loft between the 17 and 19. Swing speed is 99-104 with driver depending on day. I'm looking to fill gap between my driver and 21 deg hybrid which would seem like the 17 deg but from some people reported distances not sure. I'm looking for a 230-240 ish club. Current club in that category is a Epic Flash SZ five wood I have turned down to 17 deg. When struck well I can get it to 240-245 but have not been hitting well lately. Last year it was my magic club, this year not so much. Current average distances from Arccos for this season:

Driver (Tsi3 10 deg): 262
5 W (EFSZ @17): 218
4H (TSi2 @ 21): 215
5i (PXG 0311P @ 24): 195

As you can see my 5w is my liability currently. I'm guessing i'll be able to push the 19 UW deg to about 230-240 on good strikes but not sure. If it is more consistent and easier to hit then that's a plus over the 17 deg as well. It will be both a tee club and a turf club on long 5's.

Advice appreciated. Thank you! Fingers crossed CPO has some new stock of these coming in soon.
I have a 21 degree UW, no direct experience with the 19 or 17 degree. Based on your swing speed and data I think you might be able to crank up the 19 to that 230-240 range occasionally but my guess is if to hit that range on average the 17 would be better.

Finally got to hit this the other day. They had a used one with a stiff shaft. I normally hit regular. Felt great and now I’m looking for one. I hit my 3 hybrid 190+ so with no woods I think the 17 will be my long club (besides driver)
Took a picture of bay monitor
2099fbaff116bd3ba744480d9dd924bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know much about monitor numbers. Does anything stick out or would steer me another direction?
It was the 17 head

Last edited:
I put the 17 degree in my bag with the MMT 80 S shaft, and it's been an easier to hit replacement straight up for my 3wood. It's hot! And Loooooonnnnngggg. So easy to hit from the deck. Teed up it's giving me about 250. My 3 iron/utility from the tee gives me about 230, so the gapping is about where I want it. I had been playing a CLK 16 degree cranked to 15 as a fairway replacement, since my actual 3 wood hates me, and it broke on the range, with the head launching itself to parts unknown. I hit this at the local shop, and fell in immediate love. It's a hefty price tag, but I think it'll have a pretty solid place in the bag for a good long while.

Finally got to hit this the other day. They had a used one with a stiff shaft. I normally hit regular. Felt great and now I’m looking for one. I hit my 3 hybrid 190+ so with no woods I think the 17 will be my long club (besides driver)
Took a picture of bay monitor
2099fbaff116bd3ba744480d9dd924bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really depends on what you're after. The spin is low. It's really kind of a high launch low spin shot there, despite being a potential pull (I don't pay much attention to the L/R without knowing it's it and the player are actually aligned). Was this a good representation of other shots with it? You're going to be peaking out at 85/90 feet on one like that, which will help with landing, if it can be replicated.

It sounds like it's hitting the distance you'd want it for.

Really depends on what you're after. The spin is low. It's really kind of a high launch low spin shot there, despite being a potential pull (I don't pay much attention to the L/R without knowing it's it and the player are actually aligned). Was this a good representation of other shots with it? You're going to be peaking out at 85/90 feet on one like that, which will help with landing, if it can be replicated.

It sounds like it's hitting the distance you'd want it for.
Yeah I hit enough that this seemed about average. I hit a pretty straight ball and height is usually not a problem - yeah just want something I can poke out there 200+ for long par 3's and par 5's

Thanks Old! So on a monitor if the loft is 17 and my launch angle is higher than that it indicates the club/shaft may be a little higher than ideal?? loft 17 = launch angle17 ?? (sorry for wandering off topic)

Not only does this perform it sounds so good

Yeah I hit enough that this seemed about average. I hit a pretty straight ball and height is usually not a problem - yeah just want something I can poke out there 200+ for long par 3's and par 5's

I have both the 17° & 21° and have no issues hitting high or low. Oth clubs are amazing.

Thanks Old! So on a monitor if the loft is 17 and my launch angle is higher than that it indicates the club/shaft may be a little higher than ideal?? loft 17 = launch angle17 ?? (sorry for wandering off topic)
No, they're a little more complicated than that. Depends on the club and how you have it at impact, and what you want from it really. If that's a repeatable shot and fits your yardage though the whole thing might not need to be any more complicated than that fact. How it plays is all that really matters.

17 degree UW really up and down with the ups keeping it in the bag. Issue though. It appears it is slowly coming free from the shaft. With the Shaft up experience I was thinking about a reshaft into UST to support the brand and maybe calm down the left side miss. LIN-Q is the obvious choice but not sure on the color in X-flex. Send me in the right direction to make it the weapon it can be. CA245A89-FFC0-42BF-A089-927E8DDC345D.jpeg33C2C8DC-2FF9-4B49-BEB5-8F9D210B5790.jpeg

17 degree UW really up and down with the ups keeping it in the bag. Issue though. It appears it is slowly coming free from the shaft. With the Shaft up experience I was thinking about a reshaft into UST to support the brand and maybe calm down the left side miss. LIN-Q is the obvious choice but not sure on the color in X-flex. Send me in the right direction to make it the weapon it can be. View attachment 9115874View attachment 9115875
Usually just the ferrule sliding up.

No shaft suggestion. It was a squirrely club for me too.

Hit a couple shots out of the rough with the 19 degree UW. Cant believe how good this club is out of the rough. It just performs.

17 degree UW really up and down with the ups keeping it in the bag. Issue though. It appears it is slowly coming free from the shaft. With the Shaft up experience I was thinking about a reshaft into UST to support the brand and maybe calm down the left side miss. LIN-Q is the obvious choice but not sure on the color in X-flex. Send me in the right direction to make it the weapon it can be. View attachment 9115874View attachment 9115875
With your move it would need to be black. It’d be a great pairing.

Hit a couple shots out of the rough with the 19 degree UW. Cant believe how good this club is out of the rough. It just performs.
I will say it until I die, one of the greatest club designs of all time.

One UW on the course today from the rough after my back started tightening up. I took extra club assuming I’d come up short, but instead I hit an absolute gem just off the back!! Need to be confident in this club.

1661634312715.png

With your move it would need to be black. It’d be a great pairing.
Slightly more under control. When I rotate and don’t turn I am finding target 😂 speed is coming back up with it.

Slightly more under control. When I rotate and don’t turn I am finding target 😂 speed is coming back up with it.
Still, black profile lends to your needs and wants

Damn Hadley (hope you get the reference, but I assume yes) You must put a move on that bad boy to get it too come apart like that. Did you buy from Callaway in the last 90 days? if so they are pretty good about build and warranty issues.

Now what the **** is this ****!?!

20220827_191434.jpg

Is this what you get after a year of pounding this thing? Apex UW Raw?? :mad:😭

Damn Hadley (hope you get the reference, but I assume yes) You must put a move on that bad boy to get it too come apart like that. Did you buy from Callaway in the last 90 days? if so they are pretty good about build and warranty issues.
I always buy from Budget Golf if it is in stock or I am able to wait on it. They are pretty good to us.

Back