New shafts for a new player?

lukemartin93

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
This may be a long post so thanks for sticking with me!! I just started golfing this past year and am really enjoying it and am wanting to get better. I am 26 and believe I have a lot of golf ahead of me. I am shooting around 100 and feel like I am playing pretty inconsistent. Some great shots, some terrible. Here’s the question! I found some mp 52 irons at a local thrift store and have enjoyed them a lot! BUT the previous owner replaced 3 of the shafts (5,8,9) which weigh a bit different than the others as well as have jumbo grips (I have small hands...) NOW, I am trying to figure out what to do. I don’t have a big budget at all and have no experience changing grips or shafts. I have been thinking about buying shafts on eBay that already have grips on them and have someone put the shafts in. Question is, if I do this, is there a good, cheaper, good starting shaft I should look for? OR should just look for completely?

also, I don’t think I have the time or energy to replace the shafts myself so wheres The best place to get them changed?

TL;DR version:
What’s a good, cheaper, starting shaft to build consistency in a new golfers iron game?
Thanks!!

The answer here is to find shafts that match the other clubs. If that's not possible, you either reshaft them all or find the closest shaft to match them.

The answer here is to find shafts that match the other clubs. If that's not possible, you either reshaft them all or find the closest shaft to match them.
The shafts are a bit obscure so I was thinking of reshafting them all. Just trying to figure out a good, cheaper option that will help me (or maybe more not hurt me) as I play more

eBay shafts as a replacement?

i saw some iron shaft sets for under $100 for 4-pw. Wasn’t sure if that was a good way to go or not

For example:

First of all, great find on the MP-52 irons! Don’t tell @chile - he’s got an eye on a gorgeous set right now

If I were you, I’d use that set to learn. Learn how to re-grip and change shafts. There’s an excellent regripping video on THP-TV that I reference every time I do my clubs.

I can’t speak much to where to get the work done if you don’t want to... I’ve done all my own.

A lot of shafts have reviews up online. You can read to see if they fit the profile of something you're looking for or whether or not they fit your game at the moment. That's actually how I found THP in the first place. I was looking for reviews/feedback on UST Mamiya Recoils. It's not perfect by any means and being able to hit clubs with those shafts is always preferable but those reviews (and specifically THP) helped me figure that Recoils would work for me when I was looking at getting new clubs. Like I said, it's not a perfect science, but if you find shafts you like for a good price, look them up and see if they fit what you're needing

... Don’t tell @chile - he’s got an eye on a gorgeous set right now

:ROFLMAO:... Played the forged pros today... They feel fine with the dg s300's... Played a beautiful 7i over some trees after my 4h shot off the tee was a little shorter than planned. My re-shaft ponder has abated for now :cautious:

:ROFLMAO:... Played the forged pros today... They feel fine with the dg s300's... Played a beautiful 7i over some trees after my 4h shot off the tee was a little shorter than planned. My re-shaft ponder has abated for now :cautious:
Haha! I was wondering what was happening there...

DG 300’s are a great shaft, just not for everyone.

If you can't get fit (time/availability/money) I'd go on shaftfit or KBS fit or something similar, plug in what you know, and see what they spit out for you. Then I'd try to find one of those sets cheap on ebay that were pulled and have standard grips already, and if you're toolsy swap them yourself. If not find someone local who's pretty cheap or convince a buddy who's toolsy that he needs to learn this new skill.

The generic questionnaire fitting is where to start though, imo. It's at least something to go on.

Exsar IS 2 tour (4,6,7,pw) and “Advent swing science by rapport” (5,8,9)

Obscure seems to have been gentle. I'm amending my recommendation to reshaft them all.

Exsar IS 2 tour (4,6,7,pw) and “Advent swing science by rapport” View attachment 8941111(5,8,9)

If it was one, maybe two you needed and the rest were a quality shaft, I'd say you could get a 4B2M replacement at a similar weight and call it close enough. Cheapest like that I could find was $28 per shaft though, and you need 3, so I'm with @OGputtnfool .

Shaftfit, Ebay. In that order. lol

The shafts are not that obscure. The Exsar IS2 shaft is the stock shaft offered by Mizuno. The Advent is a filament wound shaft made by Rapport, this can be found by many club makers/repair shops.

You stated the (5,8,9) weigh a bit different. Do they feel any different when you swing them? The weight (or perceived feel of weight) may be affected by the jumbo grip. If you re-grip the 3 shafts to match the others in the set (ie: standard size grip as opposed to Jumbo), you may feel a difference in the 3 clubs. If you're on a budget, this may be the least expensive route to take. Local shops or DSG don't charge too much for re-grips, or , you can venture down the path and attempt it yourself (entering the rabbit hole of the club tinkerer :devilish:)

IMHO, if this was me, being on a budget, fairly new to the game w/ an inconsistent swing, I would go the re-grip route first and get consistent with my swing then look to re-shaft if those are the clubs for the long haul (Nice find by the way!!).

Good Luck!

Look into the FST line of steel shafts, they offer several different weights for different swing speeds at very good prices ($6-10 a shaft). I use the FST Pro 125 and they are amazing shafts for the price.

FST 90 - Combo Flex (Trim to A or R flex), high launch
FST 115 - Combo Flex (either A/R or S/X), mid or high launch depending on flex
FST 125 - Combo Flex (S/X), Mid launch for stronger swing speeds
FST Pro 115 - Combo Flex (either A/R or S/X), mid or high launch depending on flex
FST Pro 125 - Combo Flex (S/X), low/mid launch depending on flex

Back