'New' sticks: Ben Hogan Edge CFT!

v3.0

Reaction score
Handicap
--
I am excited. I ordered some new irons yesterday!:banana:

After beating around some 30-yo Wilson blades, and 20-yo Wilson channel-backs for a few years, I have decided to move my bag into the current millennium.

I bought a game-improvement set. Not the latest technology, mind you, but still quite a bit more modern than the scalpels I have been using.

Here's what I ordered:

The Ben Hogan Edge CFT, 3-E (E = Equalizer = Hogan terminology for PW!):

benhoganedgecft.jpg

The clubs are cast steel, with a forged Ti face insert (you can see the transition in the face picture).

All they had available for shafts was stiff graphite. I didn't hit these clubs (they aren't available in the current demo-racks, they are 2003 vintage, I believe) and bought them 'blindly'. At <$200 shipped, they won't cause me financial hardship! I did determine with the help of a helpful THP member, that the shafts will probably work for me. (Thanks C-Tech!)

It will be about a week before I can hit them.....

If you have any experience with these clubs, let me know about it, to get me through this week. Thank you!

First of all, and most importantly,

WELCOME

to the exclusive Hogan Club owners fan club.

From this point on, you will have a certain happy happy joy joy feeling on the golf course!

Dont know about the graphite shafts.. Personally, I would have opted for the Steel...magic shafts some people say..

I have the steel shaft set. Some are still in the plastic wrapper.
Last year about this time, Callaway pre-owned was selling them off for $150 a set, brand new :)

I think you will like them a LOT , just hope the shafts are ok for you.

Thanks timbertoes!

I am not sure about the shafts either, but they were all I could find. And it is too late now! UPS picked them up at the shipping site already! :D

I read that the grips were like the Golf Pride Tour Velvets. I know I like those: I have them on all my clubs, except putters.

I just unboxed them! Heck, even the box was 'Quality', with excellent protection inside, and a nice hand-filled-in spec.s card!

As to the clubs themselves:

Nice-looking heads: Just the right size! They are definitely 'game improvement' (if not super GI), but they don't have too much offset. The soles are twice as wide as my blades, and they have a huge-undercut, visible at address in the longer irons. These babies got back!

The grips are 'Tour Velvet' style, which I like.

The graphite shafts feel allright. They are darkly colored. Not as nice looking as steel, but I will get used to that! Judging from my bend tests (pushing the club (at the butt-end) into the floor and seeing how much they bend) these are the correct stiffness.

Weather permitting, I will go out with them for a round tomorrow!

Awesome stuff V3

Old (WITB) signature:

In the bag now (soon to change!):

Irons: Wilson Staff Gooseneck '88-'90 1i-PW
Wedges: (Cheap) Topflite SW,LW
Putter: Antique Wilson Gooseneck - or - Wilson Staff 8813
Ball: Topflite d2-feel

New (WITB) signature:

In the bag:
'Driver': Northwestern Tour Select 835 Driving Iron
Irons: Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3-PW
Wedges: Topflite 56*,60*
Putter: Antique Wilson Gooseneck - or - Wilson Staff 8813
#13: Wilson Staff Tour Blade JP custom-grind PW
#14: Wilson 'Chipper'
Ball: Topflite d2-feel

I feel somewhat nervous about going out with my new bag contents! I know why: I want something from them: A lowered score! And I do not want to be struggling with them all through the 1st nine! ....

... I will get over it before I head out. I don't truly believe that clubs matter much in the first place, so I expect to continue pretty much where I left off, not much better, not much worse....

I will keep you posted!

I took my Hogans out for a round this afternoon: I got to hit every last one of them at some point during the round....

I messed up many of my tee-shots (for which I use irons): I can't say that I blame the clubs though....... I hit a lot of strange pulls. When I hit a good tee-shot, I got a slight fade. I think I will spend some time on the range, trying to learn to set these up right.

In contrast, I did pretty well with my new irons from the fairway and rough. These clubs are easy to hit, for sure! I can't say I hit many greens, but I hit my approaches close enough to them... My approach shots didn't have much curvature to them..... I missed the greens on all four sides...

Not too bad for a first day out with them: I am pretty sure this is going to work out!! :alien2:

PS: The big winners of my new setup were #13 and #14!

I have started to add some of the Ben Hogan Edge CFT hybrids to my collection. So far I have scored 2h, 3h and 4h, on ebay. Before the winter is over, I will probably have added 1h, 5h, as well as 1i, 2i, FW, SW and LW (FW is fairway wedge, aka gap wedge), if I can find them!

For no good reason, I like (overly) complete sets, out of curiosity I guess.

Bumping this to ask: has anyone gamed the Hogan CFTs lately? The thread on the soon-to-be-released Hogan irons has me thinking that I might want to pick up a backup set of what were supposedly the most forgiving mid-2000s Hogan irons.

Bumping this to ask: has anyone gamed the Hogan CFTs lately? The thread on the soon-to-be-released Hogan irons has me thinking that I might want to pick up a backup set of what were supposedly the most forgiving mid-2000s Hogan irons.

I have a set of Edge CFT irons (3-E). Quick summary: Forgiving, soft when hit flush, slightly high flight. Ti faces and grooves last ages. Slightly thick top edge but otherwise a timeless look and faultless construction quality. Hogan steel shafts are good. Interested to see what the new Hogan Co. returns to market with in 2015.

Back