New WHS in 18 easy steps

It's easier though. We know it is because they say it multiple times in every single thing that 'explains' it.

We went over this at our board meeting for the club on Wednesday... I don't think it is a coincidence that the guy who was the handicap chair stepped down at our meeting in October...

I will wait to be too critical. Ok, now that’s over and I am still not sure why they are doing this. I see a lot of drama surrounding this in the near future.

I still don't understand the Maximum Hole Score for handicaps thing. I should have prefaced that I'm also, an idiot.

I still don't understand the Maximum Hole Score for handicaps thing. I should have prefaced that I'm also, an idiot.
It's quite easy.

You take par for the hole, course rating x113/average daily temperature in VT in July, plus your handicap, minus the number of clubs you used on the previous two holes and add in the amount of rain over the past week in MM / day of the week.

That gives you your max stroke for that hole.

Then repeat 18 times.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I am going

It is really not that hard, Take the par for a hole, add 2 then add any handicap strokes you would get for that hole. So if the hole is a par 4 and you get two strokes on that hole. The max score would be 8 - 4 (par of hole) + 2 + 2 (handicap strokes).

I am going

It is really not that hard, Take the par for a hole, add 2 then add any handicap strokes you would get for that hole. So if the hole is a par 4 and you get two strokes on that hole. The max score would be 8 - 4 (par of hole) + 2 + 2 (handicap strokes).
All joking aside, it's not that easy. You do have to take course par and slope into account to figure out max per hole. I have to reread it, but it's more than par for hole, plus 2 plus handicap strokes.

All joking aside, it's not that easy. You do have to take course par and slope into account to figure out max per hole. I have to reread it, but it's more than par for hole, plus 2 plus handicap strokes.

Here is the section from the chart linked in the first post, maybe I am misreading but looks like par + 2 + handicap strokes
net double.PNG

From USGA site

Net Double Bogey

The days of equitable stroke control (ESC) are over, but you will still have a maximum score per hole that you are allowed to post for handicap purposes. Regardless of handicap, everyone will calculate their maximum hole score the same way. The calculation is as follows: Par (of the hole) + 2 strokes + any handicap strokes received. Or simply double bogey plus any strokes received. This is why it is so important to know your playing handicap!

Last edited:
Honestly, I never did understand the purpose of ESC.. "Well I'm an __ handicap so my max score is a bogey" after hacking 5 strokes on a par 3 only fed the "vanity" cap beast.

Sometimes the quest for accuracy results in a process that is so complicated that people are bound to take shortcuts which result in the inaccuracy you were trying to avoid in the first place. This seems like one of those things.

If they truly want people to use the system as intended then they should make that easy to do. There shouldn’t have to be a calculator involved at all. Even if that results in less accuracy, it will result in a higher level of compliance.

This system seems as if it leaves too many opportunities for error. There will be people who find it too big of a hassle to use at all, others who don’t unintentionally screw up the process, and more who follow the process correctly but make a mathematical error. All of those result in a wrong answer.

To me the problem lies in the rating/slope system. Simplify that and the whole process could be much easier. Considering that most public courses probably have inaccurate ratings or slopes anyway, it really is a broken system. Of course, that’s the story of golf...a broken system that gets more broken with each “improvement”.

I'm honestly kind of dreading it. I had a dream about it the other night. Not about having to do some different math to figure it out, but the immediate change in cap when it happens. Pretty sure mine is going to go from damn-hard-to-play-against-others, to are-you-f-ing-kidding-me with the 8 scores thing. I know I won't be the only one, but I don't even want to run the numbers on it. In fact, I'm going to try to ignore it as long as possible, so I don't feel pressured by it, and can focus on the changes I want to implement.

Sometimes the quest for accuracy results in a process that is so complicated that people are bound to take shortcuts which result in the inaccuracy you were trying to avoid in the first place. This seems like one of those things.

If they truly want people to use the system as intended then they should make that easy to do. There shouldn’t have to be a calculator involved at all. Even if that results in less accuracy, it will result in a higher level of compliance.

This system seems as if it leaves too many opportunities for error. There will be people who find it too big of a hassle to use at all, others who don’t unintentionally screw up the process, and more who follow the process correctly but make a mathematical error. All of those result in a wrong answer.

To me the problem lies in the rating/slope system. Simplify that and the whole process could be much easier. Considering that most public courses probably have inaccurate ratings or slopes anyway, it really is a broken system. Of course, that’s the story of golf...a broken system that gets more broken with each “improvement”.
I've always thought this as well. I mean, I don't get bent out of shape by it because the game has been this way for a long time, but I don't understand the need for the complexity of the formula.

Back