Newspaper versus TV and the internet

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
Does anyone read their local newspaper regularly anymore? Or do you get most of your news from the local news or the internet? We will subscribe whenever the KC Star has a 6 month special of 4 issues a week (Thursday-Sunday) for 99 cents a week. Which is really all the time, you just have to cancel and wait a month before signing up again. The only paper we rgularly go out and buy is the Sunday paper, which is $1.50, so this special is great for us because it's cheaper and we don't have to drive to go pick up a paper! When we are taking advantage of the special, we sometimes read the other three days.We get most of our local news from TV. My home page is MSN so I keep up with most national news there.

I've never read the paper. Just online for me now.

We used to subscribe to the newspaper, but we canceled it because nobody wanted to read it. But now it becomes a problem when one of us actually needs the newspaper for like coups or something.

We get it mainly for the Sunday ads.

It's really sad that it's gotten to this point. And to think I originally went to college to become a journalist!

My parents still get the paper every day of the year.

We got it for 6 months and the only thing it did was let me read the biz section and GG clip her coupons. We did not renew.

I really like to flip through the paper, and I do when I babysit (four days a week). You can read 30% faster on paper than on screen (I remember a big to-do about virtual textbooks at my college - old school textbooks won.)

But I find the reading level of the city paper is low so it's easy and I fly through it and don't feel I learn much. (I read the whole Mpls paper every day in Jr High/High School.) I stumble across things now and then though. Then there's the national papers - Josh gets the WSJ, and that's just over my head and uninteresting most of the time, I'm afraid. So in that sense, the internet news is best for finding a happy medium. But I just spend so much time at the computer as it is - I hate staring at it more than I have to.

Dinosaur here--The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal every day. Though honestly, the Times is as much for the crosswords as anything else (in ink only--and they don't get interesting until Thursday).

Our news paper prints everything on the internet, which is where I read the news for our area. Except for a Sunday issue every so often I don't think I have purchased a paper in over 30 years. I don't watch the news on TV much anymore since very little changes. Murders, rapes, fraud, crooked politicians, corporate embezzelment, bank, and 7-11 robberies are pretty much it week in, and week out. I can find everything I want to know about on the net. My #2 source of info is probably radio. :comp:

Oh, as for the local TV news - I can't stand it. I accidentally watch some of it now and then, and it's always mostly promos for what stories are coming, then they finally get to those stories, and they're like 30 seconds. They spend more time promoting a story than actually on the story.

Oh, as for the local TV news - I can't stand it. I accidentally watch some of it now and then, and it's always mostly promos for what stories are coming, then they finally get to those stories, and they're like 30 seconds. They spend more time promoting a story than actually on the story.

I hate that! I get all excited thinking there is finally going to be some great story to listen to and then they basically just repeat the promo, maybe adding 5 more words. I much prefer getting my news online.

I like reading the paper alot more, when reading an article on paper I don't get bored reading it. When I'm on the internet I get bored of it fast knowing I could be on other sites and not reading it.

^^^ very true. It's just more relaxing to read on paper. I'm in busywork mode on the internet; usually doing a bunch of things at once.

Smallie, you did leave out a category here. I truly get most of my news from NPR. There's often an argument on the way home, because The Kid wants to hear the news too, and Boo Girl wants to chatter.

All-time classic question from The Kid, following a story about same-sex marriage in Massachusetts: Mommy, if I go to school in Boston, do I HAVE to marry another boy?

Back