Next Five Years Most Majors?

Rummpd

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Throw in one more in 21 and 21 in play. Major wins are hard period. Pick your top three in order with wins and why?

Rahm - 4 more or more because he is top tier
Rory - 2-3 more as on way back despite falling off yesterday
Morakawa and Bryson - 2 each as both with great strengths; but the former can’t putt up to rest of game and the latter is talented but quirky
DJ and DT may win one each. Brooks as well. Ousie should too. Woods health permitting may do it one more incredible time and Wolff and Phil could pull out some magic.

Others?

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hatton, Hovland, Cantlay, or Zalatoris, win one in the next few years.
All salient choices. Will be interesting to see who gets 2 or more. Probably eight or so could do. I feel Morakawa a lock but if he putts well more viable

Nobody will win more than 3 in the next 5 years and nobody will finish the career Grand Slam.

Rory is cooked, in my view. He's always talking about how it's "just around the corner", same thing with guys like DJ and Spieth and JT.

I don't see anyone really winning a bunch of majors in the next 5 years. There are a lot of great golfers on Tour now and all of them are trying to win majors. I think a 2-3 players could win a couple majors in that time.

Impossible to guess, really.

If we've learned anything in the last decade or so, it's really hard to win majors, and no one is really in Tiger's league - just the cuts made by Tiger alone ....no other golfers fail to miss cuts at majors like Tiger did. He never missed cuts in majors. All these guys today that are all hyped up, they all seem to miss cuts quite regularly in bigger events.

Rory is cooked, in my view. He's always talking about how it's "just around the corner", same thing with guys like DJ and Spieth and JT.

I don't see anyone really winning a bunch of majors in the next 5 years. There are a lot of great golfers on Tour now and all of them are trying to win majors. I think a 2-3 players could win a couple majors in that time.

If we've learned anything in the last decade or so, it's really hard to win majors, and no one is really in Tiger's league - just the cuts made by Tiger alone ....no other golfers fail to miss cuts at majors like Tiger did. He never missed cuts in majors. All these guys today that are all hyped up, they all seem to miss cuts quite regularly in bigger events.

Fair points but I think Rahm may be the one. So impressive to bounce back from events recent weeks and he has a great all around game. If he continues to mature he will give it a run. Morakawa just seems to have the it factor if he gets a little better putting he could win several.

Over the next 5 years I would pick between DJ and Rahm for most majors. I think they both end with a career similar to Phil.

Rory is cooked, in my view. He's always talking about how it's "just around the corner
Are you saying DJ, JT, and Spieth are cooked? Surely you don't think these guys have nothing left to give over the next 5 years?

In names that haven’t been mentioned yet, I’d like to see Hideki and Sungjae win in the next 5 years. Definitely Xander! Would expect to see Cam Smith, Niemann, and Leishman in contention too.

If/when JT becomes as world-class with his putter as he is with every other club ... watch out, he could go on a majors winning spree.

Rahm, Morikawa, Koepka

I think Speith will win 1 to 2 more. The progress he has made this year has been encouraging and he seems to be on the right path. I believe the magic is still there.

I would be shocked if DJ doesn't win 2 more. He is streaky but when he is on nobody is better.

Getting to 5 though for young guys is a big ask. There are more threats than ever and the list of golfers with 5 majors is small.

It’s hard to see anyone racking up majors with the talent out there right now. There are maybe 10-15 guys who seem to make up an elite top twice right now.

If I had to put money on a guy getting 4 it’s Morikawa. I think he has a lot of room to improve his putting and if he does he will be deadly. Runners up would be Rahm and Rory for me. All said if I’m betting on it my money is on no one getting 4 over the next 5 years.

It’s hard to see anyone racking up majors with the talent out there right now. There are maybe 10-15 guys who seem to make up an elite top twice right now.

If I had to put money on a guy getting 4 it’s Morikawa. I think he has a lot of room to improve his putting and if he does he will be deadly. Runners up would be Rahm and Rory for me. All said if I’m betting on it my money is on no one getting 4 over the next 5 years.
Misread the first post, my top 3 would be:
Morikawa 3
Rory and Rahm 2
(A half dozen other guys I feel are about the same odds to get 2 over the next 5 years)

Are you saying DJ, JT, and Spieth are cooked? Surely you don't think these guys have nothing left to give over the next 5 years?

No, they're not cooked. But I certainly don't see any of those three winning more than 2 majors in the next 5 years. DJ missed the cut at the Masters and the PGA for god's sake. Here is a guy who is the number one player on the planet and he's missing cuts in majors like crazy.

It's always "this is the next big guy" - I saw it with Day, Scott, Rory, Spieth, DJ - many other. None of them turn out to be like they are hyped up to be. It never turns out like that.

I’d have to put Rahm at the top of my list. His game is pretty solid from tee to green and he seems to be growing into a cooler, less volatile headspace.

Morikawa is a solid ballstriker. If he can get a putting game going, he definitely would belong in the conversation.

In names that haven’t been mentioned yet, I’d like to see Hideki and Sungjae win in the next 5 years. Definitely Xander! Would expect to see Cam Smith, Niemann, and Leishman in contention too.
Sungjae has to medal at the Olympics this year or leave golf to go serve 2 years in the South Korean Military. Same with Si Woo Kim.

Sungjae has to medal at the Olympics this year or leave golf to go serve 2 years in the South Korean Military. Same with Si Woo Kim.
Any medal? Like if you’re not top 3, you’re last?

I believe I read that - he can get any medal (1,2 or 3) and he won't have to serve. But if he doesn't place 1, 2 or 3, he has to do his service time.

I dont know who it will be. Many have the potential. But I would be surprised if that person only has 2 or at the most 3 (but most likely 2) over the next 5 years. ..

Yep. They asked Jon Rahm about it a few weeks ago and he first said "What? Is that for real?" Then he said he would throw it if he was going to medal and Sungjae would finish 4th.

I’d get against anyone winning 3 majors in the next five years. Unless you’re Tiger Woods in his prime even the best players struggle to win 10% of their starts. There will only be 20 majors in the next five years so even if you‘re an elite player you probably shouldn’t expect to win more than 2 majors.

That being said I think Rahm is the obvious choice for most majors in the next 5 years. Along with DJ he’s been the most consistent elite level player in the last couple years and he’s still young. JT and Bryson would be my other picks. Both consistent winners on tour and 28 and 27 years old respectively.

I think that these guys win once or twice, then the thoughts of “how many can I win? Can I get to a career slam, can I….?” all start bouncing around in their heads… not to mention the media scrutiny that ensues…. That makes it tougher.

I think all the guys mentioned have a shot at getting one or two more. Personally, I’d like to see Jordan get a couple more.

Rahm (happy for him and his win on Sunday) and others (JT, DJ, etc…) certainly have the tools. That said, there is a LOT of talent out there and more in the pipeline

Regardless of who wins, it will be interesting!!

Back