smgoldstein

2022 Goat Cupper
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
As the season is winding down, many teams are using second, third and fourth backup players due to Covid protocols. I wonder what the NFL would do if a Brady or Mahomes, or both, went into the protocols right before the Super bowl. Play as is or move the game back?

As the season is winding down, many teams are using second, third and fourth backup players due to Covid protocols. I wonder what the NFL would do if a Brady or Mahomes, or both, went into the protocols right before the Super bowl. Play as is or move the game back?

I bet they’d move the game back. No one wants to see 3rd stringers in the super bowl.

hopefully stop testing asymptomatic players.
They sort of already do this. Current testing involves a random sample of players and if a player reports an illness. I discovered this last night when I heard the Bengals backup QB tested positive and everyone is now hoping Joe Burrow doesn't get it.

You can't just move the game back. The host city can't just move things around. The only other example was after 9/11 when a lot of lead time was needed to get New Orleans to push the date. A lot of conventions and meetings had to be moved and folks were very patriotic then. I don't see a lot of companies willing to move meetings because of COVID concerns. This year the Super Bowl is in LA so the NFL wants it there. If they have to move from LA it has to swap with another city getting the Super Bowl soon. You got Phoenix next year then Vegas, then New Orleans. All of those cities have big events and meetings around that time so getting the hotel space and stadium could be difficult. That and you can't swap meetings to LA because California is much stricter for COVID mandates. If someone gets COVID for the Superb Owl then they are out. Could be interesting.

My guess is the nfl would apply the protocols. That, or maybe cover it up for higher marquee players. It is the last game.

Too much liability rides on the superbowl. Too many businesses are banking on it happening when it's scheduled. The city itself is expecting it to happen on schedule.

Think of the lawsuits that would stem from pushing the superbowl back from all sides... hotels, motels, rental cars, restaurants, fans that are going to travel, tickets...

If it comes down to it, I think the NFL wouldn't test players and it would be the *wink *wink *nudge *nudge players self reporting Covid symptoms...

Or it could be like last year where a team I think it was the Broncos played without a QB due to the Covid rules at the time in 2020... I think Brees or Rivers would come out of retirement for that to fill in for a sick QB. (New Orleans asked Philip Rivers and Drew Brees if they were willing to come and play for them last week because their #1 and #2 QB's were out on the Covid list)

They just need to change the name to the "Covid Bowl."

I'm sure both teams will not have a full squad come game time. They could both be missing quality, impactful players.

The SuperBowl is like 6 Weeks away. It's more likely that this new variant will makes it way through the teams in that timeframe. So by the SuperBowl most of them should be fine. I think there might be amnother week where teams are going to playing street players like we just saw last weekend.

I don't think they would move it back. It would be what it would be, with that much pomp and circumstance going on. It would be terrible for anyone to have to miss it, whether or not a marquee player.

I'm not going to watch the superbowl most likely. The commercials aren't any good; I don't like the teams that will be there...

I'm just waiting for the draft and waiting to see how the coach and GM mess up free agency and the draft until they're toast.:confused2::(:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You can't just move the game back. The host city can't just move things around. The only other example was after 9/11 when a lot of lead time was needed to get New Orleans to push the date. A lot of conventions and meetings had to be moved and folks were very patriotic then. I don't see a lot of companies willing to move meetings because of COVID concerns. This year the Super Bowl is in LA so the NFL wants it there. If they have to move from LA it has to swap with another city getting the Super Bowl soon. You got Phoenix next year then Vegas, then New Orleans. All of those cities have big events and meetings around that time so getting the hotel space and stadium could be difficult. That and you can't swap meetings to LA because California is much stricter for COVID mandates. If someone gets COVID for the Superb Owl then they are out. Could be interesting.
You could do Miami as they are used to hosting it and their protocols are lax.

I don’t think there will be any issues come super bowl time. No way they move it, no way any star players have it.

Id say they would either hide the fact that they tested positive or they would push the game back. I mean, theres no reason why the Super Bowl couldnt be push back a week or 2 anyways.
Its pretty clear though that the NFL is all about the $$$ and they dont really care about player or fan safety.

I also think they care more about money than the health of the fans and players of the teams. I can imagine how the odds of bookmakers may fall because some of the strong players can not play, or he will be removed because of the new rules in connection with Covid-19. I hope this doesn't happen because I'm betting on this Super Bowl. If you also bet like me, you may be interested in this site https://www.wunderdog.com/college-football/picks There are both free and paid predictions, but the paid ones bring you more money. This is all from personal experience. So who is interested, use it. I am sure they are worth the money. I root for the seahawks and hope they win this tournament. Who are you rooting for?

Last edited:
I think it best to think of the NFL and Sport as entertainment and not life itself. Don't take it seriously. Go play golf. Now that is life.

Back