The "disgrace to the NFL" is the 31 owners who voted yes on the Raiders move to Las Vegas.

Only Miami Dolphins team owner Stephen Ross, had the integrity to vote no. Link to story where Ross states that the Raiders violated league bylaws by not making an effort to remain within their home market:

I can understand the perspective, but when it comes to these issues I always say follow the money.... Stephen Ross wanted to renovate his team's Hard Rock stadiums a number of years back; public funding thumbed their noses at a referendum to subsidize the $500mm cost so he paid it out of his pocket. Fast forward to 2017 when the Raiders petitioned the league to move the team to Vegas to capitalize on the the bounty that was offered by the city and county in Nevada to land a pro team and I'm sure Ross was pissed.

For several years Mark Davis tried (conned, threatened, pleaded and any other tactic) to get public funding to help support a new stadium for the Raiders and the public rejected. This stadium that is home to raiders and A's is the only dual stadium in major sports today (1966 or something it was built). Its the second smallest NFL stadium being used.... LA Charger temporary home is the current smallest; and its the 4th or 5 largest MLB stadium by seating capacity.

If you've not been to the stadium in a while, I can tell you first hand the place is an absolute dump... when you have to walk several sections over from where your seats are to find a bathroom that is open for use.... that to me is inexcusable. For today's stadiums corporate sponsorship and luxury boxes are the end game and moving to Vegas is a means to an end. I can only assume that what is luxurious in Oakland pales in comparison to that of its local rivals in Santa Clara. Moving to Vegas will level the playing field not to mention the fan interest in attending a game where the venue is Vegas! So guy who's name ends in Fan is already planning a visit! (You're my guy Billy!)

Bottom line from my perspective, is Raiders got a sweetheart deal in Vegas and Stephen Ross paid $500mm out of his pocket for his stadium renovation. I'd be pissed too!

Reactions: JB
I can understand the perspective, but when it comes to these issues I always say follow the money.... Stephen Ross wanted to renovate his team's Hard Rock stadiums a number of years back; public funding thumbed their noses at a referendum to subsidize the $500mm cost so he paid it out of his pocket. Fast forward to 2017 when the Raiders petitioned the league to move the team to Vegas to capitalize on the the bounty that was offered by the city and county in Nevada to land a pro team and I'm sure Ross was pissed.

For several years Mark Davis tried (conned, threatened, pleaded and any other tactic) to get public funding to help support a new stadium for the Raiders and the public rejected. This stadium that is home to raiders and A's is the only dual stadium in major sports today (1966 or something it was built). Its the second smallest NFL stadium being used.... LA Charger temporary home is the current smallest; and its the 4th or 5 largest MLB stadium by seating capacity.

If you've not been to the stadium in a while, I can tell you first hand the place is an absolute dump... when you have to walk several sections over from where your seats are to find a bathroom that is open for use.... that to me is inexcusable. For today's stadiums corporate sponsorship and luxury boxes are the end game and moving to Vegas is a means to an end. I can only assume that what is luxurious in Oakland pales in comparison to that of its local rivals in Santa Clara. Moving to Vegas will level the playing field not to mention the fan interest in attending a game where the venue is Vegas! So guy who's name ends in Fan is already planning a visit! (You're my guy Billy!)

Bottom line from my perspective, is Raiders got a sweetheart deal in Vegas and Stephen Ross paid $500mm out of his pocket for his stadium renovation. I'd be pissed too!

For decades I had 49ers season tickets at Candlestick. When they announced their move to vacate SF and move to Santa Clara I dropped them and became a Raiders season ticket holder. For 5 years I held Raiders season tickets until they announced their intent to move to Las Vegas.
20 years ago Oakland spent over $200 million on the Oakland Coliseum to meet Al Davis ransom demand for stadium improvements. More recently, Al's son Mark never made any effort to either remodel the Oakland Coliseum or secure the financing needed to construct a new stadium within the Bay Area. Stephen Ross did the right thing voting no to the move. The other owners, such as Cowboys Jones and Pats Kraft, only voted yes because they are old men who want to hang out with young women in Vegas and call it a "business trip".

For decades I had 49ers season tickets at Candlestick. When they announced their move to vacate SF and move to Santa Clara I dropped them and became a Raiders season ticket holder. For 5 years I held Raiders season tickets until they announced their intent to move to Las Vegas.
20 years ago Oakland spent over $200 million on the Oakland Coliseum to meet Al Davis ransom demand for stadium improvements. More recently, Al's son Mark never made any effort to either remodel the Oakland Coliseum or secure the financing needed to construct a new stadium within the Bay Area. Stephen Ross did the right thing voting no to the move. The other owners, such as Cowboys Jones and Pats Kraft, only voted yes because they are old men who want to hang out with young women in Vegas and call it a "business trip".
I get it, I do, but money talks.... NFL is embracing the revenue stream that legal betting has provided and why not... NFL is a business and customers are all over the place.

I get it, I do, but money talks.... NFL is embracing the revenue stream that legal betting has provided and why not... NFL is a business and customers are all over the place.

From a "business perspective" I question the merits of moving a team from the country's 4th largest market to the 40th market size. People say "it's Vegas, tourists will fill the stadium", but that remains to be seen.
For decades the Bay Area fans supported the Raiders very well and moving away from a large and loyal fan base to me seems like bad business. But I understand that Mark Davis had no money (just like his dad's situation, the family wealth is tied up in team equity, not cash). And Mark wanted to have a shiny new stadium so he could brag about it and maybe impress some women.

More questionable than the Raiders is the Chargers move from San Diego to LA. The Spanos family has loads of cash and was only $200 million apart from a deal with San Diego for a brand new Chargers Stadium. Instead they walk away from the table and agree to pay a $550 million relocation fee to move to a stadium they will share with the Rams,
And for decades San Diego area fans have bought Chargers tickets, supported the team very well. Why move away from that to an area where the team will be "second fiddle", and in the process abandon the loyal fan base while paying an extra $350 million to do so ?

The Stillers are worth being a fan of regardless of location.

I agree. Both Ben and Jerry are pretty funny. The Stealers, on the other hand...

I quit watching the NFL some years ago and don't miss it one bit. The few games I have watched in that time have only reinforced that sentiment.

If I still gambled or played fantasy football, I could get back into it though. Only problem there is that the things that I dislike about today's NFL, instead of just making me shake my head, would put me into rage mode...

Browns. Sigh.

Back