NHL '09-'10 Season

It was certainly a shock to see them return to form after their struggles. The one big thing I took out of this year for the Pens was the play of Malkin. He was lazy all over the ice, and turned into almost a liability every time he tried to carry the puck.

I think it's time they start pursuing a top line winger to support Sid and use EM as trade bait.

Malkin was battling injuries most of the season. Say what you want about him, but without Malkin, Crosby isnt nearly as effective.

Malkin was battling injuries most of the season. Say what you want about him, but without Malkin, Crosby isnt nearly as effective.

I'd have a hard time agreeing that Crosby isn't nearly as effective considering they aren't linemates.. Now, Crosby is a playmaking center, so of course his linemates will determine how successful he is, but I don't think in this case, Malkin is his crutch.

Anyone else surprised about the score of this game?

Montreal isn't putting up much of a fight.. Gagne should have never been left alone on that last goal.

I'd have a hard time agreeing that Crosby isn't nearly as effective considering they aren't linemates.. Now, Crosby is a playmaking center, so of course his linemates will determine how successful he is, but I don't think in this case, Malkin is his crutch.

Then how do you explain why Crosby didnt score hardly at all when Malkin was out with an injury?

Anyone else surprised about the score of this game?

Montreal isn't putting up much of a fight.. Gagne should have never been left alone on that last goal.

Yes and no. The Habs have been overachieving all during the playoffs and how deep they would be able to go was dependent on how long they could stay hot.

Yes and no. The Habs have been overachieving all during the playoffs and how deep they would be able to go was dependent on how long they could stay hot.

Hey I fully agree with that, but at the same time, so was Philly, after the rocky season they had, not to mention missing Carter.

Then how do you explain why Crosby didnt score hardly at all when Malkin was out with an injury?

I'm not really sure where this occurred... I do see they stumbled at the start of November, but that was a team thing, not just Crosby.. I can't speak for it because i didn't watch Pitt all year, I'm just saying that from everything I've seen of them (maybe 10-15 games this year) I believe Crosby's success outside of maybe the powerplay has nothing to do with Geno.

Philly is officially Flyered Up now......Montreal is done for this series.

Philly verse Chicago would probably be the best thing for the NHL as far as ratings go, really would love to see espn jump back onboard and put them back on the duece 2-3 times a week with Gary Thorne announcing...

I just wish they would stop dedicating the games on vs to only those teams who have substantial fan bases... I am so sick of seeing WSH v PIT or BOS v NYR...

I'm a big Columbus fan, and I would say Ottawa is my second team, and I bet they've been on VS all of 4 total times in the last two seasons haha

I'm not really sure where this occurred... I do see they stumbled at the start of November, but that was a team thing, not just Crosby.. I can't speak for it because i didn't watch Pitt all year, I'm just saying that from everything I've seen of them (maybe 10-15 games this year) I believe Crosby's success outside of maybe the powerplay has nothing to do with Geno.
I totally agree with you on this argument. I don't remember any time when Malkin was injured and Crosby's even-strength stats were affected.

I just wish they would stop dedicating the games on vs to only those teams who have substantial fan bases... I am so sick of seeing WSH v PIT or BOS v NYR...

I'm a big Columbus fan, and I would say Ottawa is my second team, and I bet they've been on VS all of 4 total times in the last two seasons haha
I guess you're not going to like next year's Winter Classic. WAS @ PIT at Heinz Field.

I urge you all to watch as much of this CHI/SJ series as you can, because unless Montreal makes a comeback, this series will be much better than the Stanley Cup Finals.

I guess you're not going to like next year's Winter Classic. WAS @ PIT at Heinz Field.

haha, I don't mind that, because it's just one game. The 'thrill' of the outdoor game is quickly dissipating thanks to them repeating it every year.

I urge you all to watch as much of this CHI/SJ series as you can, because unless Montreal makes a comeback, this series will be much better than the Stanley Cup Finals.

I think whoever wins this series is going to win the cup this year. It is a whole different level of competition. ....and as I post this, Nabby just lets a crap goal in. nice.

Back to the Gonchar thing, I definitely agree. He and Lidstrom are two defenders you absolutely don't want to be breaking in on a one on one against.

I disagree with this. There are plenty of better defenders that Gonchar one on one. Pronger, S. Neidermayer, Chara, Weber. I would put Lidstrom in that list though.

I do agree that Gonchar is a huge part of the Pens though. He is huge on the powerplay and setting up offensive chances. Plus he seems to be a good team guy and brings a lot of vert leadership, some things that don't show up in stats.

I had SJ picked to win the cup in the preseason. I am sticking with them. They have too good of a team to keep loosing early. When they made Blake the captin I think it was a turning point for the leadership of the team. I have always thought the West is much stronger and pick whoever goes to the final from the west to win it.

Wow...Flyers in the finals hmmm...Montreal has been scoreless for 2 games now...wow!!!

I had SJ picked to win the cup in the preseason. I am sticking with them. They have too good of a team to keep loosing early. When they made Blake the captin I think it was a turning point for the leadership of the team. I have always thought the West is much stronger and pick whoever goes to the final from the west to win it.

Thoughts on Nabokov? He just let another terrible goal in.. 2-0 Hawks in this one.

The Goalie Gods have left the building for Halak but Leighton has found it. Habs outshot the Flyers 30 to 20 but win 3-0. If Neimi continues to play like he has in the first two games the Sharks are done. Hawks up 3-0 in the second. So if the Flyers play the Hawks I just can't see the Flyers matching with the Hawks. However there's a lot of hockey to be played before that happens. Anybody else watching the Memorial Cup? Windsor looks on unstoppable.

Wow, where the heck did the Flyers come from? They are on a roll, and they were behind in the Boston series and won 4 in a row to knock out the Bruins and now they are 2-0 over Montreal...

Great night last night. I went to the cubs game to watch my beloved team romp the rockies, and then I made it over to a bar in Wrigleyville to watch the rest of the Hawks game. Excellent!

So there is hope yet for Marion Hossa :D

true that....either way I think the Flyers don't win the whole thing. especially if they face the Sharks. they may have a chance against the 'hawks but not the Sharks (too fast)

Philly verse Chicago would probably be the best thing for the NHL as far as ratings go, really would love to see espn jump back onboard and put them back on the duece 2-3 times a week with Gary Thorne announcing...

The Flyers will get toasted by either SJ or CHI.
Interestingly, I think Montreal matches up pretty well with Chicago. Maybe even San Jose as well. Problem is, they obviously have a ton of trouble getting it done against a gritty team like Philly.

The Flyers will get toasted by either SJ or CHI.
Interestingly, I think Montreal matches up pretty well with Chicago. Maybe even San Jose as well. Problem is, they obviously have a ton of trouble getting it done against a gritty team like Philly.

I think the other thing in play right now is that Montreal has a lot of games under their belt already and it was only time before it caught up with them, don't get me wrong, Philly is a great team, but the tank has to be pretty empty if you're a Hab.

When Malkin was out due to injury in the middle of the season, Crosby went into a scoring slump. He went something like 6 or 8 games without scoring any goals. It wasnt until Malkin came back that Crosby started scoring goals again.
With Malkin out, the opposing team didnt have to worry about Pitt's other lines as much, so they could keep their best defenders on the ice when Crosby was on the ice and could essentially shut him down.
Crosby needs Malkin. If they trade Malkin, who are they going to get who will be better than Malkin and be willing to play 2nd fiddle to hockey's golden boy?

Back