NHL 2011-2012 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pens fan here. Sad to see Talbot go (especially to the other side of the state), but I think it's going to be another solid hockey year in Pittsburgh!

The boys will be unstoppable if they stay healthy!

Hope everyone is having a good summer. Im a Hawks fan and Im REALLY excited about the FA moves and the prospects that the Hawks will have this year. They have added some more depth and some defensive toughness, which are things that were sorely missed last season.
Im not going to make the bold prediction that the Hawks will win the west this season but I think they will be among the best teams in the west and should be a very good team.
Is it October yet???

I've been a Washington Capitals season ticket holder for a while now. As dissapointed as I am with their exit last season I'm very excited about their off season moves. More experience, especially at goalie, was a key reason they lost to TB. Looking forward to their first pre-season game in September!

Go Caps.
Hopefully the Caps can finally cash in on all the hype and at least make the SCF this season. My girlfriend and her family are all huge Caps fans (they all live in DC) and I know the past several years have been very frustrating for them.
Im a Hawks fan but I have a lot of respect for the Caps and would love to see them win the cup. The Caps should be a great team this season with the defensive grit and veteran goaltending they have added and if Ovi can bounce back from last season and return to his old form they will be very tough to beat.
The Caps picked up Troy Brouwer, who played for the Hawks for the past couple years and he's a very good defensman. The Hawks let him go because his level of play wasnt worth his contract, not because he wasnt a great player for them. He just wasnt worth the amount of money that they were paying him. Like I said though, thats not to say he isnt a very, very good player.

Hope everyone is having a good summer. Im a Hawks fan and Im REALLY excited about the FA moves and the prospects that the Hawks will have this year. They have added some more depth and some defensive toughness, which are things that were sorely missed last season.
Im not going to make the bold prediction that the Hawks will win the west this season but I think they will be among the best teams in the west and should be a very good team.
Is it October yet???

Brunette at $2M was a very prudent move for our top 6 in this market. Even at 35-37 the guy put up ~50 points with a vastly inferior Wild top 6 unit each of the past three seasons. OD has been a favorite of mine for a while because of the way he clears the net and handles the traffic in the slot, and he'll make for a very solid 7th dman but if he's starting 80 games, I don't like it. Monty brings the physical stay-at-home play and clutch PK ability that we lacked so sorely last season. Seriously, that role was arguably our most glaring weakness last year along with horrible backchecking from our bottom 6 F. I'm not a Carcillo fan at all because he's a crap skater who isn't even aware of the pucks existence on the ice and can't play the PK, but that energy line with him and Mayers will at least be pesky as heck. Looks like Morin has the inside shot for our last top 6 role unless Beach magically learns how to play behind his own blueline, and Stalberg will be rounding out our bottom line. I like Viktor more than most, mainly because his tools are all top notch even if he doesn't use his size and strength nearly enough and has awful hockey sense, so I think he could be a nice changeup to keep teams on their toes alongside the new guys on that fourth line

The Caps picked up Troy Brouwer, who played for the Hawks for the past couple years and he's a very good defensman. .

Troy's a winger, not a dman. He's just such a manic and frustrating player to watch. He'll get hot and go on a scoring streak as a sniper one week, and the next get lost on the ice trying to figure out the PF role by soft checking everything that moves around him which caused him to miss open ice on offense. The shoulder injury was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back for him, though, as he went on that huge goalless drought and failed to do a damn thing other than lay out those soft checks to pad his hits stat. Pretty horrible skater, too, but if he ever settles into the PF role like he did in that stretch with Toews and Kane in '09 he can be a legit mid six threat on both ends of the ice.

He's a second pairing dman, skill-wise. A second pairing dman playing on the first line is still a second pairing dman. It really is already one of the 10 worst contracts in the league. Hell, the deal Seabrook signed at $5.8 per was pretty bad and he's twice the dman Wiz will ever be (I'm being pretty generous with that twice figure for Wiz' benefit, too). As for the cap, don't expect it to keep rising when the CBA expires after this season and we don't have another huge TV deal on the books to temporarily boost revenue. The Canadian TV deal doesn't expire until before the '15-'16 season, so we won't see that kind of revenue boost again for four more years. It won't cripple them like the Soup deal did the Hawks, simply because there is no young talent to retain in RFA in the immediate future to skew the numbers, but these kinds of deals getting passed around is just bad for free agency in the cap era.

You may think he's only a second liner, but I don't. I guess he'll just have to prove his worth this season.

In any case, he's one of the best options they have, so he'll be a step up from last year regardless. He's got a rocket from the point and is pretty physical. He's exactly what the CBJ needed, and was one of the best options available.

Avs sign Shane O'Brien

I like this signing, wish it was a little longer, but that's a nice addition to the Dline!

The other underlying question I have is if Stastny or Duchene will be captain.

Troy's a winger, not a dman. He's just such a manic and frustrating player to watch. He'll get hot and go on a scoring streak as a sniper one week, and the next get lost on the ice trying to figure out the PF role by soft checking everything that moves around him which caused him to miss open ice on offense. The shoulder injury was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back for him, though, as he went on that huge goalless drought and failed to do a damn thing other than lay out those soft checks to pad his hits stat. Pretty horrible skater, too, but if he ever settles into the PF role like he did in that stretch with Toews and Kane in '09 he can be a legit mid six threat on both ends of the ice.

Definetly agree on Brouwer. He's a great player but way too inconsistent.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bla...55/source-rfa-frolik-to-attend-fan-convention
Restricted free agent forward Michael Frolik will be at the Chicago Blackhawks Convention this weekend, according to a source, even though he doesn’t have a contract with the team yet.

Talks between Frolik and the Hawks are on-going and his appearance at the convention, which runs Friday through Sunday at the Hilton Chicago, doesn’t mean a deal is imminent but certainly is a sign negotiations aren’t acrimonious.

On their website, the Hawks do not list him as attending.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blackhawks/post/_/id/4667348/bowman-confident-in-his-young-centers
Chicago Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman continued to defend his offseason decisions Wednesday, re-iterating his position the team is not thin at the center position.

"I don't look at it that way, that we are thinner," Bowman said at the opening of Blackhawks/Stanley's Kitchen & Tap restaurant at O'Hare Airport. "Ben Smith played really well in the playoffs. He played a lot of center in Rockford. And [Marcus] Kruger. Both those guys were probably two of our more effective forwards in the playoffs.

"They're young, but there is something to be said for that. Kruger was one of the top 2 centers for Sweden in the World Championships. I think he's ready for the next step."
Depth at center isnt really a concern I have for the Hawks going into next season. We definetly have some young, inexperienced centers who need to prove themselves but Im not worried about our depth.

http://blackhawkup.com/2011/07/13/dylan-olsen-a-name-to-remember/
Last week the Blackhawks’ website posted that defenseman Dylan Olsen is aiming to swipe a roster spot this year on the Hawks. But is he ready to play at the top level?
Im going to agree with the author and say no, not yet. He was rushed to the pros and will likely need to spend another year or 2 in Rockford before he will be ready.

Avs fan here in Denver. I'm a bit bearish on the coming season, but I am hoping for the best. The bargain-basement management approach is starting to get old, that's for sure. The D should be bigger and more imposing, but I don't like the Liles move. I'm not sure that we have a great QB to run the PP at this point.

It will be fun to see hockey back in Winnipeg again. Too bad that they didn't do anything to improve the team, especially after the fan base demonstrated such support in ticket sales. They'll regret selling off Peverley and losing Stewart. Could end up being a long first season before it's over.

http://blackhawkup.com/2011/07/13/dylan-olsen-a-name-to-remember/

Im going to agree with the author and say no, not yet. He was rushed to the pros and will likely need to spend another year or 2 in Rockford before he will be ready.

The AHL is great for a young defender. Just look at what it did for DK. It allows you to play the North American pro-style game and learn by trial and error in as close to full-speed situations as you can get without jumping up to the NHL.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blackhawks/post/_/id/4667348/bowman-confident-in-his-young-centers

Depth at center isnt really a concern I have for the Hawks going into next season. We definetly have some young, inexperienced centers who need to prove themselves but Im not worried about our depth.

We won the cup with Sharp as our second line C all season, so while I would prefer to see him in his best role on the LW, I don't mind 19-10-36 up the middle on our top three lines. I just hope Kruger isn't in the roster plans right now. Kid looks like a legit prospect, but he is entirely too raw and unready for the NA game right now for a role deserving of his upside in the NHL right now. Best thing for him and us is to let him season in the rock for at least a season while he matures physically.

, but I don't like the Liles move... Stewart.

I still don't understand either trade. First they move one of the best young puck-moving dmen in the league AND one of the best young power forwards in the NHL for a disappointing dman because he has the size they lacked on their blueline. Then they go and trade the one guy who could replace Shat's puck moving ability in Liles. I'll give him the Varlamov trade, even though the potential lottery pick wasn't protected and the oft-injured Varlamov is a risky move, simply because it was at least ballsy and a move for a legit top prospect, but Sherman is making it hard to not call him one of the worst GMs in the game.

Huge Flyers fan here.... gonna be an interesting year. Liked some of the moves though. Was sad to see Richards go hes such a great 2 way player and always gave 100%. I think the locker room issues were more true than false with him. LA is gonna be a really good team this year with all of the moves they made. Plus i like Quick in goal saw him play when he was in the ECHL in Reading. Carter never really impressed me. He has a great wrist shot, But never played defense or skated hard. Talbot i like even if he did come from the Penguins. and Jagr well thats the Zherdev experiment for the year. i just hope Bryzgalov can handle the pressure from coming from Phoenix. and knowing we dumped 2 of our better players for his salary. he starts letting in bad goals he will be killed in Philly. I had season tix the last 4 years and i was on the fence about keeping them and decided not to keep them before the trades. Kinda glad i did i think this is gonna be a rebuilding year even though i still think we will make the playoffs. hope some of this young talent breaks out in the next few years. should be an interesting ride seems like this team is always making my heart skip.

Huge Flyers fan here.... gonna be an interesting year. Liked some of the moves though. Was sad to see Richards go hes such a great 2 way player and always gave 100%. I think the locker room issues were more true than false with him. LA is gonna be a really good team this year with all of the moves they made. Plus i like Quick in goal saw him play when he was in the ECHL in Reading. Carter never really impressed me. He has a great wrist shot, But never played defense or skated hard. Talbot i like even if he did come from the Penguins. and Jagr well thats the Zherdev experiment for the year. i just hope Bryzgalov can handle the pressure from coming from Phoenix. and knowing we dumped 2 of our better players for his salary. he starts letting in bad goals he will be killed in Philly. I had season tix the last 4 years and i was on the fence about keeping them and decided not to keep them before the trades. Kinda glad i did i think this is gonna be a rebuilding year even though i still think we will make the playoffs. hope some of this young talent breaks out in the next few years. should be an interesting ride seems like this team is always making my heart skip.

We'll make the playoffs. Likely as a 5-8 seed. Next year though with a lot of the youth developed. LOOK OUT!

We'll make the playoffs. Likely as a 5-8 seed. Next year though with a lot of the youth developed. LOOK OUT!

yeah i agree might even make a run in the playoffs i figure some of this young talent is gonna break out sooner or later. I actually like some of the new guys better already.

yeah i agree might even make a run in the playoffs i figure some of this young talent is gonna break out sooner or later. I actually like some of the new guys better already.

I'm a huge Schenn fan, love Couturier, and Voracek has been someone I've liked for about 3 years now. Just from involvement in sim leagues, mocks, and redrafts.

So Stamkos gets signed.. Solid deal considering he'll be a free agent at 26, but I do think he could have gotten a crazy deal via offer sheet.

Was really expecting that to happen.

i think other teams didn't want to give an offer sheet cause Yzerman said that he would match any offer sheet. so they just handcuffed the team by not letting them sign any other free agents cause they didn't know what the cap hit was gonna be for Stamkos! i personally think it hurt Tampa Bay. no one is left if they wanted to grab anyone else its to late now.

i think other teams didn't want to give an offer sheet cause Yzerman said that he would match any offer sheet. so they just handcuffed the team by not letting them sign any other free agents cause they didn't know what the cap hit was gonna be for Stamkos! i personally think it hurt Tampa Bay. no one is left if they wanted to grab anyone else its to late now.

Signing Stammer can never hurt a team!

im just saying that they should have gotten a deal done before he became a free agent so they knew where their cap was gonna be so they could sign other players instead of hoping another team sent him an offer sheet so Tampa had an easy out. instead they sat while every other team signed new players. unless they think they didn't need to improve at all, which maybe they do. I think Stamkos is an amazing player and has a lot of great years ahead of him. i just think things backfired on them a little.

Signing Stammer can never hurt a team!

Especially when it was to that cheap ass cap hit. People were talking about max deals for a year, and would have ****ed Tampa this year, but no one had the balls to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back