NHL 2012-2013 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's no different in any professional sport. Basketball, football, soccer, etc are the same. Bigger market for a star means more endorsements for other things which means extra personal revenue that can be budgeted in. It's not just contract value for the money factor. It's contract value plus perks plus off ice endorsements to get to the total figure.

Thanks for the lesson. I am well aware of the why. I am saying it's stupid and I am not about to sympathize with millionaires on it.

Thanks for the lesson. I am well aware of the why. I am saying it's stupid and I am not about to sympathize with millionaires on it.

Did someone pee in your cheerio's lately?

For that matter why do you watch the NHL at all? You've made it pretty clear that your love is for the game, not the players so why not ignore the NHL entirely and go watch the college or junior players? They may not be the best in the world for what they do but they're having fun, it's exciting and it seperates out all the things that seem to annoy you about the NHL lately.

Did someone pee in your cheerio's lately?

For that matter why do you watch the NHL at all? You've made it pretty clear that your love is for the game, not the players so why not ignore the NHL entirely and go watch the college or junior players? They may not be the best in the world for what they do but they're having fun, it's exciting and it seperates out all the things that seem to annoy you about the NHL lately.

haha heck yeah someone did! Bettman, the owners, and the NHLPA did!!

The NHL is the best league in the world, when they are actually playing hockey. They are also the only league that I can easily watch from the comfort of my own home, so the choice is pretty obvious. When they stay televising AHL games regularly I'd probably follow it. Definitely would if they televised the OHL down here.

Teemu Selanne's (translated) thoughts on Mr Bettman and the job he has done:

Gary Bettman has been the NHL's boss for almost 20 years. He was hired by the NHL to bring the salary cap, and so he did, as he had received the salary cap NBA Basketball: acquisition. Twice the lockout has been a stoppage during his reign, and each time the lockout is done. Now it is the third! He is certainly the NHL's most hated person. For every NHL team's arrival at the hall throughout the hall buuaa and show her mind. Yes fans to know! He makes himself more than eight million dollars a year. Would Mr. Bettman willing to give up their salary and give part of it to these "poor" teams? Hmm ... interesting question.

I'm guessing it came from a Finnish source if it was translated. Dude has good english now.

At least I'm lucky enough here to have the Halifax Mooseheads. Should make a Memorial Cup run this season. Nathan MacKinnon should have an amazing year and be even better to watch.

I'm guessing it came from a Finnish source if it was translated. Dude has good english now.

At least I'm lucky enough here to have the Halifax Mooseheads. Should make a Memorial Cup run this season. Nathan MacKinnon should have an amazing year and be even better to watch.

I am insanely envious of that.. I've got the Cincinnati Cyclones.. Watch out for ECHL hockey!!!

I am insanely envious of that.. I've got the Cincinnati Cyclones.. Watch out for ECHL hockey!!!

I'm telling you, I need to find a way to get my tv signal to you. They show Moose games every Friday on the local cable.

Sent from my HTC One X

Most probably don't care, but I already have it up on Photobucket so I figured I would share haha..

The Jackets are in the process of upgrading a bunch of Arena stuff, and included is a new scoreboard, which looks awesome!

A7D552C8-D3EA-4634-AB62-3A3018A2D2D8-21487-0000212D94B0DDE0.jpg

They should sign something tomorrow. I want hockey soon.

I'm telling you, I need to find a way to get my tv signal to you. They show Moose games every Friday on the local cable.

hah, that would be fantastic.. Frankly, I'm surprised they don't have live feeds available online of JR games.. I see no reason why it would do anything beyond generate interest.

hah, that would be fantastic.. Frankly, I'm surprised they don't have live feeds available online of JR games.. I see no reason why it would do anything beyond generate interest.

I'll talk around to a couple friends. Might be online somewhere.

Sent from my HTC One X

So a bunch of guys already signing in Europe. There's a shocker.

There are stories floating around that there are a bunch of French Canadian players that are going to form 2 teams and play once a week during the lockout. Giroux was one of the names. Cant remember the others.

There are stories floating around that there are a bunch of French Canadian players that are going to form 2 teams and play once a week during the lockout. Giroux was one of the names. Cant remember the others.

That'd be sweet. Hope they televise it.

Where are these stories?

Mixed thoughts from a lot of the Columbus guys.. Vinny says he may stay in Cbus because his family is there trying to live a normal life.

Jack Johnson and Wiz are both not interested in playing overseas.. Will be interesting to see who does what.

I actually like it if players/teams I root for have guys playing overseas, at least it keeps them fresh and in a competitive environment!

My bad, I missed that it was translated from a Finnish newspaper in Google. Note to kids: This is why you don't use Google Translator for your French/Spanish/Whatever homework.

I wonder what it would take for the players to stick their money where their mouth is. Create their own league, book some arena dates that aren't owned by the NHL owners and run their own league this year. See how it does and then evaluate when it's done whether they could make it work or need to sort something with the rest of the owners.

My bad, I missed that it was translated from a Finnish newspaper in Google. Note to kids: This is why you don't use Google Translator for your French/Spanish/Whatever homework.

I wonder what it would take for the players to stick their money where their mouth is. Create their own league, book some arena dates that aren't owned by the NHL owners and run their own league this year. See how it does and then evaluate when it's done whether they could make it work or need to sort something with the rest of the owners.

That would be awesome. Really sticks it to the owners.

That would be awesome. Really sticks it to the owners.

Indeed. And it would sort of be like the West Jet thing. Everyone get's their salary, there are Exec people to run it and the players get shares in the company. The league as a whole does better, the players get more money on top of their salary.

Fishcakes knows if it could actually work, but it's an intriguing idea at least.

At this point I really don't care Both sides are in the wrong. I just would like to see all the European leagues have the players sign to play for a full season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back