• No, Not Interested

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • Might Watch

Votes: 7 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Craig Mac

Reaction score
I am sure some all ready knew this but I just saw it during the Giants game, the Winter Classic NHL game will be played on January 1, 2010 at historic Fenway Park(home of my rival Boston Red Sox). The teams will be the Boston Bruins (who will be the home team) and the Philadelphia Flyers.

Here's a link to the NHL Preview of the game: Philadelphia Flyers, Boston Bruins get a feel for Fenway - 2010 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic - Flyers v. Bruins

This to me is the best hockey game of the year and one I really look forward to watching. It is a completely different atomosphere to watch hockey in the different outdoor stadiums. The past few years have been some great games!

Television ratings have been pretty good each year with last years game at Wrigley being the highest rated NHL game in almost 35 years.

Here are two pics but they show the rink two different directions:confused2:

fenwayhockey.jpg

fenway%20classic.jpg

I'll throw a simple poll up to see if anyone else is watching.

Of course I'll watch, these are very awesome! The first one was with the Penguins and Sabres, bought my BF the blue jersey that the Pens wore :D

That is usually my commercial viewing for the football games. I won't sit down and watch the whole thing, but I will be able keep track of what is going on.

The second photo would probably offer the better viewing for the fans, but I think I saw that same first picture somewhere and how that is what the set up will be. I don't know for sure though.

I'm a Buffalo fan and the first year they did the outdoor game it snowed and everything! These games bring in the weather as an additional factor. It's like playing when you were a kid... who doesn't love that?

I am undoubtedly going to watch the game. What kind of Canadian would I be if I didn't?

it's the best hockey game of the year to me,

I loved the year it was snowing during the game!

Oh and Boston is going to win... Savard will probably get a hat trick.

I'm hoping Boston wins as well :D

Went to the game at Wrigley. It was great! If you have the opportunity to go, I recommend it.

Last edited:
Of course I will watch, its hockey. IMO, the yearly outdoor game is so cool because it goes back to hockey's roots.

I watch this every year. It's one of the few NHL hockey games I catch unless I drove over for a Panthers game.

I love the concept and I think the NHL did a great thing by implementing this showcase for a great game.

When your a Bruins Fan for 39 years It is a foregone conclusion that I'll be watching with pleasure.

I will of course watch it but wish the "B"s were playing the Habs... you know old time hockey...Eddie Shore...Toe Blake...eh Coach. I loved playing outside as a kid nothing better. The Bruins should beat up pretty well on the hapless Flyers. Word is next year there will be two outdoor games maybe the Leafs vs. the Habs now as long as it was in Toronto I'd travel for that.

Word is next year there will be two outdoor games.
That would be cool. The yearly outdoor game seems very popular and I think it would be in the best interest of the NHL to have more outdoor games.

With the way the Flyer's have been playing the last few games this might just be a great game to watch. The Michael Leighton story is kind for of fairy tale hope it continues to work out for him. This kid played for the Petrolia Jets in Jr B so I gotta pull for him.

Is it just me, and I don't watch mutch hockey, but aren't the ends of the ice a little different than normal? It just seems like the corners are pinched in a little.

Is it just me, and I don't watch mutch hockey, but aren't the ends of the ice a little different than normal? It just seems like the corners are pinched in a little.

Shouldn't be any different, a rink is a standard size.

High energy game so far, no score but one fight so far!

A decent fight, too!

The atmosphere is definitely different with the outdoor rink. It sounds so quiet, with the fans so far away from the rink.

2 games next year would be sweet. Gives me great memories of playing outdoors on a frozen pond when I was a kid. The NHL got it right with this one.

2 suggestions:
1) Rangers, Devils in Yankee Stadium or new Giants Stadium
2) Avs, Hurricanes in Quebec (old Nordiques vs old Whale) and bust out the vintage jerseys (I still have my #19 Sakic home Nordiques jersey and I am anxiously awaiting them to release a Whaler vintage jersey)

I like how all of the Boston coaches are wearing matching letterman jackets and fidoras.

2 games next year would be sweet. Gives me great memories of playing outdoors on a frozen pond when I was a kid. The NHL got it right with this one.

2 suggestions:
1) Rangers, Devils in Yankee Stadium or new Giants Stadium
2) Avs, Hurricanes in Quebec (old Nordiques vs old Whale) and bust out the vintage jerseys (I still have my #19 Sakic home Nordiques jersey and I am anxiously awaiting them to release a Whaler vintage jersey)

According to an article in The Washington Post, the Capitals are a leading candidate for next years game. A couple quotes from the article are below

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/31/AR2009123102716.html

A league source with knowledge of the situation confirmed Thursday that Washington is the NHL's strongest candidate to participate in the fourth annual game next New Year's Day.

"The league will be looking to work around the Capitals to get them into this game," said the source, who requested anonymity because league executives have not yet begun formal discussions for the 2011 Winter Classic.

One scenario for next year's Winter Classic being discussed informally among league officials would pit the Capitals and New York Rangers at Yankee Stadium. That plan, though, recently hit a stumbling block when the Yankees announced that they plan to host a college football bowl game between Christmas and New Year's Day for each of the next four seasons. Once a venue is secured, the league needs more than week to set up boards and ice.

The Capitals could alternately be matched up against Sidney Crosby and the rival Penguins at a Pittsburgh venue, another possibility being informally discussed, the source said. Although the Penguins played the Buffalo Sabres in the inaugural Winter Classic, the seven-game Capitals-Penguins semifinal playoff series last May became an instant classic among hockey fans.

Nice way to end it.

Pretty good third period of hockey, how in the world the pea stayed out of the net when the Philly had Thomas down and out in OT??????? Then almost as if it was scripted the Bruin's go down and deposit the pea! I think if the Philly had continued to press the B's in the third rather then dropping into a 1 - 4 protecting a one goal lead they might just have taken this one. Then again as I've said before I was a lousy coach.

Would have been awesome if they went into a shootout, but overtime is close enough :) Very cool!! Wonder who will play next year's and where :confused2:

I 2nd Yankee Stadium!!

Back