Niblick Unboxing & Thread

Schweitzer -- If you're hitting your 8i 160 yards, my guess is a full swing with a 42 Niblick would go around 130-140 and a 49 would go around 110-120. I like taking full swings with Niblicks, but if you like 3/4 swings, then you can knock off yards for each club accordingly.

Appreciate the feedback guys. Wish I could find a slightly used 49* or 56* on ebay with a low buy it now haha.

Bump for the niblick users who post at night? I could use all the advice I can get.

Well, just pulled the trigger on a slightly used 49* I found on Ebay for $75 shipped. Not a bad deal. The seller also has a 56* in the same condition for sale for the exact same price, but I'm hesitant to buy it without first seeing what the 49* can do. Hopefully it covers all my needs around the green, because my weakness isn't the sand but the basic pitch/chip shot from pretty close in.

Well, just pulled the trigger on a slightly used 49* I found on Ebay for $75 shipped. Not a bad deal. The seller also has a 56* in the same condition for sale for the exact same price, but I'm hesitant to buy it without first seeing what the 49* can do. Hopefully it covers all my needs around the green, because my weakness isn't the sand but the basic pitch/chip shot from pretty close in.
I think it will help with that. That is why I got mine as well. It helps reduce the chilly dip and chunks. I know JB likes the 56 the best. Not having hit that one I can't comment, but I like the 49.

I think it will help with that. That is why I got mine as well. It helps reduce the chilly dip and chunks. I know JB likes the 56 the best. Not having hit that one I can't comment, but I like the 49.

How often do you use your 54* and 58* now that you have the niblick? I can't see myself using my 52* anymore if the niblick covers shots from 115 in, and especially not if I can control it around the green.

I still use them a fair amount. I can hit the niblick a bit further than the 54* Maybe 10 yards. I use the 58 for full shots of about 70-80y, also for flops and places where I need to get the ball up quickly. The trajectory is much easier to control with the nib I find.

I had a huge gap from my PW to my 54* so I wanted something in the middle. The Nib is ok for that but I'd really like to eek out a couple more yards from it. I am considering changing the shaft out to one slightly longer to accomplish that.

almost holed out for eagle today with my 56 niblick... i played it 3 times in the 9 hole course today, twice i was dialed on to the pin, the third was right on line but i got the distance wrong.. super club from 95 yards in. it lands and stops. no fuss..

Coco,

Are you swinging it like a regular club or far-back-and-through putter style for your full shots?

Nuevo

Well, I just received my 56* niblick today. The only one I am missing is the 49*. Should I get it? lol.

I have a question regarding the 56*. Is it reasonable to replace my 56* sand wedge with it? Something in my bag has to go.

Well, I just received my 56* niblick today. The only one I am missing is the 49*. Should I get it? lol.

I have a question regarding the 56*. Is it reasonable to replace my 56* sand wedge with it? Something in my bag has to go.

It really depends what you use your wedges for. For me it would replace a 60* based on full swings.

It really depends what you use your wedges for. For me it would replace a 60* based on full swings.

I basically want to know if the Niblick can be effective out of the sand. I rarely hit full shots with my 56 wedge because of the tight lies I play from most of the time.

First time out with my niblick today and I must say, I'm not immediately a fan. I hit a lot of shots thin (probably because I am not sure how wide to have my feet, where to place the ball in my stance, how far / close to have the ball to my body, etc.) and didn't have the automatic incredible performance I had envisioned. I suppose I was being overly optimistic that it would be a magical club that would revive my short game, but hopefully more practice will help me figure out how exactly to use it.

That video on how to use each of the niblicks sure would come in handy right about now!

Since the Niblick is more upright with a putter-length shaft, I think most people set it up in a putter position, rather than lowering their hands and lowering the lie angle like with wedges. I hit with my feet fairly close together. If you're thinning, perhaps slow down a bit and try letting the heavier weight of the Niblick "bottom out" your swing -- like you're letting the weight of the club swing itself. For me, slower, smoother swings work better with a Niblick than quick, abrupt strokes. But always accelerate into the ball.

Went out today and played 18 and the niblick performed admirably. I hit quite a few approach shots with it and used full swings. I carried it about 110 - 115 with a full swing. Still trying to get my touch down for shots that require less than a full swing and for shots around the green but I have a feeling it's going to do a lot for my game. I'd like to grab a 56* as the 49* had more run out on shots around the green then I was used to but I can get used to that if need be and play for it. All in all I like the way it feels and I am pretty proud of that purchase.

Thanks for the advice 2left!

I just picked up a 56 last week and I will share my results. I took it right out to the course with just a couple practice swings in the yard. I have been struggling MIGHTILY with my irons AND short game recently. My short game was the strength of my game but something has gone awry. I have been hitting everything to the right. My first try a few yards from the green i had no trouble hitting it straight but it did not roll very much at all even with the putter style stroke,which isnt a bad thing. I did use it out of the sand once and it came out in 1 try which for me sells me on the club right away. I let a friend try it from a green side bunker as well and although not pretty either, he managed to put it within 10 feet of the hole and hes worse then me from the sand and he had never even held the club prior to that.

This club is not a cure all but I think it definitely will be helpful for me even if I return to my good short game form. If anyone struggles with sand shots or short shots around the green I am very confident that this club in the 56 loft can be a huge help. I also want to compliment THP for a great review on these clubs.

Finally got that 56*,

Full Swings, Full Swings, Full Swings......

MAN did this club work miracles on full swings. SPOT ON!!!!

Also,
Out of the sand was crazy. I have never been a bunker guy and it always hurt my game. Now I can get teh ball up and out with no problem and I'm more worried about how close I can get it to the hole instead of just trying to get it out of the sand HAHA.

Don't get me started on Fairway bunkers. Using a full swing in a fairway bunker is probably my shot of choice now and find myself aiming for those fairway bunkers so I can use the ol'Niblick 56 on a full swing HAHAHA JK JK but it really does wonders.

The one thing I'm still working one is the shots around the green. If I use a putter stroke the ball does not go as far as I would think and stops on a dime, but if I use a reg stroke the ball will role a little to much on me. Both of these are the player not the club I can tell. Just more practice and that will be fixed.

So this is how I would rate the Niblick 56* (played only two rounds, very very limited range time)

Sand: A (VERY easy to hit)
Chip shots around the Green: B (Needs a little practice, I did hit some good shots but will have to work on what style works best for this)
Full swings: A+ (Never thought I could hit a club this well!!!! I see why some decided to go with ALL 4 Niblicks, 37/42/49/56 and throw out there regular irons!!!!! Believe me, the way these hit on full swings I'm thinking about going with a full set of Niblicks as well!!!!

Something interesting to share:

I've been toying with the idea of sidelining my 49* Niblick and bagging my 52* wedge instead. They play the same distance, and I thought the 52* wedge would give me similar wedge swings through all of my wedges. Well, took both the the range the other day, and left the range with the Niblick still in the bag, the 52* is going to stay in the sideline bag.

I play 105 yards as my "go to" layup yardage, because from that range, I am deadly with the Niblick. Nice smooth swing, straight and high, stops where it lands, maybe backing up a few feet. I can play a little with choking down or up, adding +/- 5 yards. The 52* just didnt give me all of this with any amount of comfort.

So the Niblick will stay in my bag, and I feel somewhat relieved by this. It is such a confident club to stand over the ball with, just makes me so happy to see the ball streak off towards the pin...

I've not tried one of these yet, although Smallie brought one to the outing, if it works that well out of the fairway traps I could use one in my bag!

I've not tried one of these yet, although Smallie brought one to the outing, if it works that well out of the fairway traps I could use one in my bag!

I haven't heard Jake mention that he's gotten one yet! He sure hit it nice on the Par 3!

I've played about 4 rounds with my 56' Niblick. I traded in my 58 Vokey for it. It has taken some getting used to but I absolutely love it. I use it in the sand, around the green, uphill, downhill, over bunkers, it doesn't matter. I've hit the stick a couple times. When I chip with it, I'm always within 6 feet with a nice putter stroke or half swing. I have not hit full shots but may try at some point. Normally, I use my 52 for full 85-100 yds. The 56 niblick works great. Take aim at the stick let it hop and stop, cool club.

I'm sure it has been posted here before, but I'm to lazy to read through the 40 pages of posts. My question is how does the 56* perform out of thick greenside rough. I have the 42* and it works great out of the fairway, but not so good out of thick rough. If anyone could comment on the 56*'s performance out of thick rough, I would appreciate it.

For me personally, I find the 56 Niblick easier out of thick rough than conventional wedges like Vokeys or CG 12s. The weight of the club, foregiving face and wide sole all help. On the other hand, I find my Cleveland 588 RS gets through thicker rough more easily than the Nilblick. Might be because the width of the Niblick sole by the hosel slows it through thick rough, so in that case maybe matched wedges from SGI sets like Big Berthas might also be easier, but that's just speculation. Also might be that the 588RS has an even wider sole at the toe than the Niblick. In any event, I find the 56 Niblick to be much better for chipping than the 588RS.

Last edited:
Back