Nice smooth swings interspersed with attempts to crush it

orchard53

Reaction score
So after returning to golf I find I hit some shots great, but then I also swing either too hard, or decelerate through the ball.
Doesn't matter what club - irons or woods. If I try to swing easy when taking an extra club, I decelerate.

Any drills or advice on how to have a consistent swing? If I take a 9 oclock swing, I stay pretty consistent.

I’m the last to give advice as I have a rather long swing (lol), but I’ve always been told to swing the same speed, just shorten the swing if you are taking something off.

Also, if you can focus on it, the only place speed matters is at impact. Teaching my kids how to swing fast, I told them to imagine “cracking a whip” at impact.

I find as of late, a smoother swing production des longer, more controlled shots

I find as of late, a smoother swing production des longer, more controlled shots
Logically I know that. But I keep wanting to swing harder :-(

Define Harder...do you heave your upper body and arms at the ball harder? Or do you get into the ground and use your legs "harder"? It may not be hard vs. soft, your issue is likely from poor sequencing.

Choke down on the longer club to take distance off with the same swing.

Define Harder...do you heave your upper body and arms at the ball harder? Or do you get into the ground and use your legs "harder"? It may not be hard vs. soft, your issue is likely from poor sequencing.
poor sequencing as I try to hit the ball harder. I'm sure the issue is between my ears - lack of confidence in the swing perhaps. But had a better day at range using one thousand two as a count in my head. Going to try that next round.

Back