Nicklaus address technique

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
Nicklaus address position.jpg

In these images Nicklaus is about 70 years old, but his address technique here is essentially the same as he used for his entire career.

Notice how much lower his right shoulder is than his left shoulder. In contrast, most amateur players address the ball with relatively level shoulders.
The Nicklaus method here is very powerful and athletic, setting him up well to naturally make a proper back swing turn-pivot around a steady head, without having to "think about" anything during the swing.
Any THPer's looking to strike more solid, longer shots, should consider copying Nicklaus address technique. Stand in front of a mirror and check to see your right shoulder is well below the left, and that your left arm and shaft form a straight line, just as Nicklaus does.

DG, he hit high fades which this type of position promotes. Not saying it's bad by any means, but today's tour guys seem to hit slightly lower draws, maybe due to the balls? What baffles me is how Jack consolidated a fairly lengthy back swing into a repeatable rotational sequence to impact. That's where the money lies!!! Good post!

Faldo-posture.jpg

Here is Faldo at address. Essentially the same as Nicklaus, that is right shoulder well below the left shoulder at address.

Now I might get flamed for this......but today's players seem to do a more Stack & Tilt swing. Don't shoot the messenger because plenty of pro's I've worked with, and play golf with at times say the same thing. Oh no....incoming!:eek::oops:

Back